PDA

View Full Version : ? about resale value of an Eastman 614 F oval hole

darylcrisp
Feb-26-2017, 3:28pm
a man is offering one on trade to a guitar I have-this 614 would be an immediate list and resale here on the Café-I have all I need in the quiver of mandolins.

What is this model worth in resale-looking for a reasonable price so it moves quick.
I need to know that to figure out how much additional he would need to include to acquire the guitar.
I can do any setup work it needs-I don't want to invest more $ and really not a lot of time either. I have never had an Eastman in hand, I don't have any idea regarding this model. The Brekke bridge is probably an improvement imo. I'm getting nut width info also, need to know that.
Were these decent models? folks tend to like them?

Its a 2005, he is the original owner, played very little, sunburst, his assessment is almost new like condition. I'm figuring a good setup and a good choice of strings would help it, which I would do upon receipt. Here is what he says about it:

thank you for your input/thoughts
d

Daryl

The mandolin was built in 2005, I bought it in 2006. I am the original owner.
Yes, it has lived in a smoke free environment.
I have actually played this instrument very little, I would say that it is in excellent, if not near mint condition. There are a couple of tiny marks in the finish, and two hair sized pick scratches above and just forward of the sound hole. See the picture labeled scratches.
The inside is neat, no glue slop that I can see. The frets are decently dressed, no sharp edges, but you can feel them.
The action is low; .010/.020 at the first fret, and .040 at the 12th. The tone is even across the fingerboard. There is a very slight loss of volume on the A and E strings on frets, 9 - 12, but the tone is quite consistent. I do feel that the G and D strings lose a bit more tone on the high frets, and maybe a bit of resonance.
Tone is of course subjective and hard to describe accurately... I would say that this instrument has a clear, distinct, upper register, and more muted, but still resonant lows... This is not a loud instrument, which honestly does limit it's dynamic range compared to a more expensive instrument. It doesn't "bark" and to my ears hard strumming sounds muddy. Single notes, double stops, tremolo, all very nice, but it isn't going to cut through the sound of a decent dreadnaught.
I haven't located the original bridge yet, but I may have it tucked away somewhere. When I got the instrument the bridge was screwed way up high, exposing a long bit of screw. I felt that it was the wrong size, so I changed it.

gtani7
Feb-26-2017, 3:57pm
He doesn't seem that enthusastic about the instrument's sound. How about a recording, and how about any visible fretwear? Are tuners easy to turn? Finish checking? Celluloid binding shrinking? Hump over neck joint? Also the Certificate of authenticity on a lot of early Eastmans doesn't match serial number, ask about that. And the case lock/latch would occasionally refuse to open, even tho i never locked it.

I'm not going to hazard a price guess, i only know about 2006 and 2010 f-hole A-styles (i have /had one Eastman from each year)

allenhopkins
Feb-26-2017, 6:04pm
I'm sure you've done all the Google searching necessary, but the list price on new ones seems to be around $1.8K, the discount price for new ones around $1.3K, and the price on good-condition used ones somewhat "south" of $1K. Not many dealers seem to have them in stock, but the Eastman website still lists the model, so I guess it's still in production (?).

Stephen Perry
Feb-26-2017, 6:10pm
No comments on price, but has always been a slow mover new, if that makes any difference.

Folkmusician.com
Feb-26-2017, 8:50pm
Yep, current production model. I actually have 4 in stock and agree with Stephen, it is not a high demand mandolin, or at least not in the sunburst. Honestly, I am not sure why, as it is a nice instrument. :)

Of note: versions made since 2012 have had a pickup. Earlier versions did not.

darylcrisp
Feb-26-2017, 9:31pm
Thanks folks.
I did some search before posting and saw some dealers don't carry them, and now I assume due to being a slow sales.
I don't think the owner was dogging it, I think he was simply giving me his honest thoughts of the one he owned.
Since this would have been something I wanted to resale quick, I think I'll pass on the trade.
Thank you all again
d

The Mandolin Store
Feb-28-2017, 12:07am
$800-$1000 - Eastman has discontinued the MD614

Bill Cameron
Feb-28-2017, 1:49pm
Bluegrassers want f-holes, celtic players like me don't want to pay the extra premium for a body scroll, everyone wants volume. That limits the market. I'm sure I'd enjoy playing it, but I sure wouldnt pay 1.3-1.6k US for one.

Pretty nice lookin though.

Bill Kammerzell
Mar-01-2017, 7:17pm
Thanks folks.
I did some search before posting and saw some dealers don't carry them, and now I assume due to being a slow sales.
I don't think the owner was dogging it, I think he was simply giving me his honest thoughts of the one he owned.
Since this would have been something I wanted to resale quick, I think I'll pass on the trade.
Thank you all again
d

My only experience with an Eastman oval hole (MD504) was much like the description above..... no volume, no bark, not dynamic at all. It attracted very little interest when I tried to sell it. I was lucky it was a demonstration model, so it had been marked down considerably by the shop where I bought it. Came with a Schertler resocoil pickup, and truthfully the amplified sound wasn't anything to write home about. I played it through a K&K pre amp and a Fender Acoustasonic 150 and just couldn't get any punch out of it. Its greatest selling point was that it was pretty and well put together. (Sounds familiar?). Lucky a woman spotted it on Craigslist and paid me what I wanted. He first mandolin. She owned 22 ukuleles. So they get UAS apparently. Her comment was the "pretty" sound and looked, "just beautiful."

CES
Mar-01-2017, 7:41pm
They're pretty, and my interest has been piqued more than once on Mandolin Store, Elderly, and Folk Musician sales, but if I ever bite it will be on one of the newer models with the pickup.

Apples v. oranges, I know, but I played 3 or 4 615-815s from the '06-'08 vintage when they were new (so eons ago ;)), and remember being underwhelmed. They were put together nicely and well set up, but the flat boards (pre radiused standard) and tone didn't do it for me. Fast forward to last summer, when I bumped into a 315 from late 2015 on clearance at a local store. I really liked it, but didn't really need it, so passed. Went to the beach for a week, and reminded myself how much I dislike playing my beater at the time. Justified the "beater upgrade," and thankfully it was still there when we got home. Every time I pick it up I'm impressed at what a good mando it is, especially for the price, and how much better it is than the older models I played. Tiny sample size, I know, but it sticks in my memory well.