PDA

View Full Version : Info required

Karaokeb
Feb-24-2017, 10:17am
Just joined and would like to say hello to fellow members I live in Mid Wlaes in the UK. I am new to the mandolin and whilst I have an inexpensive instrument I am looking to upgrade. I have come across a Pendragon Irish Rover. Made by a luthier named Andy Evans about 10 years ago who used to live in a place called Penarth just outside Cardiff Wales UK. The instrument is located about 5.5 hours drive away from where I live and I am reluctant to drive to see it without contacting the maker. I cannot find any trace of him in the UK but have been told that he moved either to the USA or Canada some years ago. Does anybody on this forum know him if so contact details would be appreciated. Having said that does anybody have one of his instruments I would be very appreciative to hear what you think of it.

NEH57
Feb-25-2017, 9:18am
It looks nice. Personally not keen on the fret markers and 'gold' tuners, but the wood looks lovely.
There are references to a Pendragon Guitar company on the States, but that is an operation run by a Bill Campbell.

At the same address that Andy Evans operated out of when 'working' there is a Boat Builder listed and the Guitar building operation seemed to be based "at the back of" the building so the boat builders may be worth a call.
Also, according to some research, Andy Evans was an apprentice to Gordon Smith Guitars who are listed on the Web, so they might know where he is and what he is doing, if anything.

Karaokeb
Feb-27-2017, 11:29am
Hello NEH57,

Many thanks for your reply I have contacted Gordon Smith but got an answer phone message and await their call back. This morning I decided to contact all the music shops in Cardiff to see if any of them had any info. The only success I had was with a guitar repairer called Gareth Lewis who used to deal with Andy Evans in the past but had not heard from him for a long time. He did say however that he moved from his workshop in Penarth and took on a wood yard in a place called Pencoed. So far I have not been able to locate that site. I have also contacted another luthier called Glyn Withers of Boutique guitars, a friend of mine who lives in the area. He had come across a Pendragon guitar recently and said that the name Pendragon was a brand associated with Cranes of Cardiff in the past. When I phoned them this morning I was transfered to their Swansea branch as the shop in Cardiff has closed. The person I spoke to had never heard of Pendragon guitars so not much luck there. Having said that Glyn from Boutique guitars is going to do some digging for me. So the situation is still a bit of a mystery.

As you say the woods on the instrument for sale do seem very nice but from my point of view it would good to be able to speak to its maker to satisfy myself of its provenance.

Again many thanks for your note to me.

mrmando
Feb-27-2017, 12:14pm
Looks like a basic A-style mandolin with mahogany back; not terribly exciting but seems decent enough. I'm not sure I believe the seller's claim that it would cost more than 1,000 quid if it were new, but the 400 being asked doesn't seem too far out of line.

http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/116221930/hand-built-arch-top-mandolin.html?link=%2Fclassifieds%2Fmaking-music%2Fother-string-instruments

Karaokeb
Feb-27-2017, 12:21pm
Hello NEH57,

Many thanks for your reply I have contacted Gordon Smith but got an answer phone message and await their call back. This morning I decided to contact all the music shops in Cardiff to see if any of them had any info. The only success I had was with a guitar repairer called Gareth Lewis who used to deal with Andy Evans in the past but had not heard from him for a long time. He did say however that he moved from his workshop in Penarth and took on a wood yard in a place called Pencoed. So far I have not been able to locate that site. I have also contacted another luthier called Glyn Withers of Boutique guitars, a friend of mine who lives in the area. He had come across a Pendragon guitar recently and said that the name Pendragon was a brand associated with Cranes of Cardiff in the past. When I phoned them this morning I was transfered to their Swansea branch as the shop in Cardiff has closed. The person I spoke to had never heard of Pendragon guitars so not much luck there. Having said that Glyn from Boutique guitars is going to do some digging for me. So the situation is still a bit of a mystery.

As you say the woods on the instrument for sale do seem very nice but from my point of view it would good to be able to speak to its maker to satisfy myself of its provenance.

Again many thanks for your note to me.

I have now got more information the address in Penarth for Pendragon guitars was 50 Plassey Street. It is now a computer shop and I have spoken to the owner who says it is about 20 years since Pendragon guitars traded from there. The boat yard 49 Plassey street is now a residential property so I think that the trail now is very cold indeed. Shall give Gordon Smith another try tomorrow as they have not yet got back to me.

mrmando
Feb-27-2017, 12:51pm
Did you try phoning him? There's a phone number for Pendragon Guitars in one or two places on the Web. If that was a personal mobile phone, he might still be using it even though he's closed up shop.

Denny Gies
Feb-27-2017, 1:02pm
If you do buy it, try to get a good set up prior to diving into the learning process. Good luck and welcome to the Café.

Karaokeb
Feb-27-2017, 1:07pm
Yes tried to phone on Friday but the mobile number is no longer in use.

Karaokeb
Feb-27-2017, 1:14pm
Thank you for your welcome, the problem in this area is I cannot find anybody close by who would be able to sent it up hence to some extent my reluctance to put an offer in.

NEH57
Feb-27-2017, 1:38pm
If you have a look on the Social list on Learn/Listen there is a Mando Cymru group. Someone there may be able to help guide you.

Karaokeb
Feb-27-2017, 2:19pm
Many thanks for that info NEH57 I have joined but the last post was in October 2014 but we will see what happens.

Karaokeb
Feb-27-2017, 3:20pm
I suppost the additional question I should ask is given the fact that the instrument that I am looking at is of uncertain pedigree and it seems the possibility of finding the maker is very slim, If you had £400/500 to spend on an instrument would you go for the one I have found or look at something else in the indicated price range?

mrmando
Feb-27-2017, 5:13pm
It's a pretty good price for a handmade instrument. Since this is an ONO ad you could try offering 350 quid and see what happens.

Jim Garber
Feb-27-2017, 7:19pm
For archival purposes:

154421 154422

NEH57
Feb-28-2017, 4:03am
I know a lot of people have little or no faith in Ebay, but my Seamus McLennan came from a Buy Now and is a much better Mandolin than I will ever be a player. There (below) was a 'Buy Now' listing that came on last night and sold in an 'instant', so it is worth keeping a "search" going on Newly Listed and checking in regularly.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lovely-Thomas-Buchanan-Mandolin-Quilted-Maple-Hard-Shell-Case-/272571013579?hash=item3f767f99cb%3Ag%3ABxQAAOSwfVp Ys~1H&nma=true&si=vzd587bjMHid1gPQ40%252Bm9tWbLnU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Of course, to some extent, it depends what sort of music you want to ( try to :whistling:) play. Mine is a 'folky' instrument, you might be looking for something 'bluer' with grass potential.

Karaokeb
Feb-28-2017, 5:31am
I think the price and the fact that it is hand made attracted me to it but I was rather hoping that someone perhaps on this site or others had a similar instrument made by this Luthier and could provide me info on how it played etc. The fact that nobody has and having phoned every music shop in Cardiff (Uk) to see if they knew of this mans work without success, with the exception of a solid bodied guitar that was recently sold makes me very hesitant in making any sort of offer. Especially as another hand made Mandolin has been advertised on ebay at a very modest price without any interest what so ever I do not want to get a pig in a poke. Makes me wonder if I would be better going for an Eastman 305? (£505.00) from The acoustic Instrument in Brighton which should from all accounts be set up correctly. To be honest its a bit of a quandary.

Karaokeb
Feb-28-2017, 5:42am
Many thanks for that info NEH57 I have put myself on alert with Ebay as you have suggested. Not sure what style of music I will end up playing (badly) in the end as I like some folk but also some blue grass tunes hence me thinking Tear drop F hole instrument may be the type to go for. Pitty it costs so much to get instruments from the USA. Also kicking myself as if I would have had this urge early last year could have got my eldest niece who was living in the states as her husband was working out of our embassy in Washington to do something for me, but hey ho thats life!

NEH57
Feb-28-2017, 6:10am
There are usually a few on Ebay with 'Hand made by Bill Blogs' labels in. I get the impression there are, or used to be 'college courses' where you can/could build an instrument and the end 'project' of some may find their way on-line. My lad did a similar thing with some very dodgy welding! Some of the course attendees almost certainly become passable Artisan builders given the dearth of other learning options in the Uk so it is always worth Goggling the name, but not many turn up again.

Gumtree throws up the odd interesting option/potential bargain from time to time too. My Ozark TG came for £100, having sorted Bank to Bank transfer and courier'ing for the seller and I recently picked up a 'damaged' (hopefully repairable) gem for the price of a 'round'. It pays to have a hard 'case' on stand-by and to know your way around Parcel2Go, because you can organise post payment from your own laptop and post out "your" case for 'return' with the return label inside it for a Mandolin for around £12 - £15 all in. If they have a case listed with the instrument, you just email them the 'label' as an attachment to print. '0' hassle their end if you can risk buying blind.