PDA

View Full Version : Bill Monroe playing a Gilchrist F5

DataNick
Feb-21-2017, 4:50pm
My buddy C.J. Lewandowski posted this on the Monroe Mandolin Appreciation Society page on Facebook.

Bill Monroe playing Ronnie McCoury's Gil at a Halloween party, probably early 90s. By the pose we're guessing he's playing the "get-down" portion of Southern Flavor!

rockies
Feb-21-2017, 5:59pm
Boy, I'm in great company ... Ronnie very kindly let me try the Gilchrist at the Blueberry Bluegrass Festival in Stony Plain Alberta way back. The first Gilchrist I ever got a chance to try, it was a great mandolin.
Dave
How come a photo of me never made it to the Café ??

Mark Wilson
Feb-21-2017, 7:22pm
How come a photo of me never made it to the Café ??post your best 'get-down' pose and we'll warm up photoshop

dhergert
Feb-21-2017, 7:26pm
post your best 'get-down' pose and we'll warm up photoshop

Shouldn't be hard, all you have to do is move the hat a little and it could be anyone.

I saw and heard my first Gil F5 in person up-close last month in Bakersfield. One fine instrument.

Ivan Kelsall
Feb-22-2017, 3:10am
Hi Nick - I wonder what his comments were about the Gil. ? I'd imagine that he sounded ''just like Bill Monroe'' anyhow. I believe that Ronnie Mc has had more than one Gil.,so would this be his current one or .....???,
Ivan;)

DataNick
Feb-22-2017, 3:53am
Hey Ivan!

I don't know which Gil of Ronnie McCoury's that one is...maybe CJ knows, I'll ask him...

FLATROCK HILL
Feb-22-2017, 9:09am
Cool pic Nick; thanks for posting.

Even cooler is that you know C.J. Lewandowski. Did he ever let you play that McClanahan Trinity?

willkamm
Feb-22-2017, 9:35am
Hi Nick - I wonder what his comments were about the Gil. ? I'd imagine that he sounded ''just like Bill Monroe'' anyhow. I believe that Ronnie Mc has had more than one Gil.,so would this be his current one or .....???,
Ivan;)

I've seen an interview of David Grisman, with Sierra Hull doing the interview. She asks David about "Ronnie's Gilchrist". The story Grisman gave Sierra Hull was, that, Steven Gilchrist gave Grisman that mandolin for a birthday gift. Grisman loaned it to Ronnie. Later he told Ronnie he could keep it. Also saw Ronnie interviewed, and he showed the interviewer both a Gilchrist and a Gibson. He described the Gilchrist as being given to him by Grisman and the Gibson coming to him by way of Mexico. (?) I would not be surprised if that might be the same Gilchrist. From all appearances he's a pretty modest guy. He let a friend of mine play the Gil at a mandolin camp. He seems to be known for that.

mandotool
Feb-22-2017, 10:57am
this one appears to be 128..
Fern / S-hole / same burst

He also had 401 for a while...recorded "the Mountain" record with it..
It passed thru Mandolin Brothers for sale some years ago..
about the same time he got his Loar...I spent an afternoon with it....very dry...punchy..bluegrass machine ..
[url]http://www.gilchristmandolins.com/401 (http://www.gilchristmandolins.com/128)

no idea how many he has had in all..

DataNick
Feb-22-2017, 11:32am
Cool pic Nick; thanks for posting.

Even cooler is that you know C.J. Lewandowski. Did he ever let you play that McClanahan Trinity?

Clark,

I haven't met up in person with C.J. yet, but that McClanahan "Orch" sounds fabulous!

willkamm
Feb-22-2017, 12:40pm
this one appears to be 128..
Fern / S-hole / same burst

He also had 401 for a while...recorded "the Mountain" record with it..
It passed thru Mandolin Brothers for sale some years ago..
about the same time he got his Loar...I spent an afternoon with it....very dry...punchy..bluegrass machine ..
[url]http://www.gilchristmandolins.com/401 (http://www.gilchristmandolins.com/128)

no idea how many he has had in all..

Interesting. The one he played this past October at the Grateful Ball in Annapolis sounded fantastic. Again, I will consider it was in his hands. I was seated at the same table as a guy from Colorado that was heading to PA the next day to look at a Gil that was advertised here. We both agreed that the Gil, Ronnie was playing had it all over Jeff Austin's Nugget for clarity and tone. Especially on the highs. Truthfully it was significant enough to notice. Now, they were plugged in, so it could have very well been the amplification, sound system, etc. Plus, they both play with different styles. However that Gilchrist Ronnie had was really impressive.

Ivan Kelsall
Feb-23-2017, 3:51am
I'm pretty certain that i read an interview with Ronnie Mc. where he mentioned that he'd owned (owns) a Gil. with a more 'reddish' finish on it - is this his current Gil. ?,
Ivan;)

sgarrity
Feb-24-2017, 10:20pm
It's an '81 Gilchrist, reddish finish and S holes. It's the one he got from the Dawg and has played throughout his career.

mtucker
Feb-26-2017, 10:53am
Believe that McCoury's 'Red' as it's affectionately referred to, is x-braced, european spruce and red maple. It's miked so it mostly get time when needed. Haven't heard it but yes unplugged it's supposed to be a real butt kicker...

Don Grieser
Feb-26-2017, 6:04pm
Ronnie passed his red Gilchrist around at the RockyGrass Academy when he taught there many years ago. He traded with each of us and played our mandolins for awhile while we played Red. Lots of fun. It's a good one. (Had a similar experience with Reischman's Loar there in a smaller group. It's a good one, too. :grin:)

mtucker
Feb-27-2017, 9:28am
After 35-40 years of slow age drying, I imagine it is a good one! Supposed to be fat, loud and clear.:mandosmiley:

Ronnie passed his red Gilchrist around at the RockyGrass Academy when he taught there many years ago. He traded with each of us and played our mandolins for awhile while we played Red. Lots of fun. It's a good one.