PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info on a 1928 A4

Nathan Kellstadt
Feb-13-2017, 7:05pm
I'm familiar with Gibson teens era paddleheads, as well as snakeheads, both how they play and sound, as well as market value. However, I have no experience with later 20s oval holes. I'm looking at a trade, and cash, for a 1928 A4, all original, in fantastic condition (looks great), tuners are smooth, etc. It's a paddlehead with a truss rod. The first five frets have recently been replaced, and it's had a pro set up.

My first question is to anyone with direct experience with 1928 Gibson ovals. What's the neck like on these? Am I looking at a slimmer snakehead style neck, or something chunky like a paddlehead? I had a 1917 I loved, but had to sell it because of the neck profile.

Where do these fit in tonally when it comes to Gibson ovals i.e. tubby or not? I'm not as particular about this, but I'm more just curious.

Finally, does anyone have a decent idea of what this would go for? I don't see enough of these to know. If it were a '23 or '24, it wouldn't be hard to come up with a value, but I'm at a loss here.

Eric F.
Feb-14-2017, 9:25am
I had one for years. I loved the sound. I played it less and less as time went on, though, because I found it uncomfortable,. The neck profile was more like a teens Gibson A than a snakehead.

These are beautiful instruments, can sound fantastic and probably ought to command a premium, but rarely do. I think Charles Johnson has had several that he's priced just south of 3k. (I could be remembering wrong.) I didn't get nearly that when I sold mine, but then I didn't pay nearly that, either.

I hope this helps.

Nathan Kellstadt
Feb-14-2017, 10:38am
Thanks Eric, that is helpful. The neck is my primary concern. I know some folks can adjust to whatever neck they put their hands on, but I'm not one of those people.