PDA

View Full Version : Possibly Too Cheap to Ship

Mandobart
Feb-08-2017, 5:16pm
I find myself with two entry-level instruments that I never play now that I have some real nice mandos. Tried selling them once on the classifieds here and local Craigslist. No real interest by buyers.

Anyway, since the asking price would be not much more than the cost of shipping, I'm not sure if I want to go consignment with a local shop, donation, etc. Have any of you had a similar experience? Thanks!

dschonbrun
Feb-08-2017, 5:23pm
You could find a local teacher and check if they have students in need.

CWRoyds
Feb-08-2017, 5:33pm
Sometimes it is not worth the hassle dealing with getting rid of super cheap instruments.
I second the idea of giving them away to someone who teaches kids, maybe a local school music program…
You might want to keep one, so that you have a mandolin you can use while floating on an inner tube on the lake.
Some day you might want to play while walking in the rain.. you never know.

Tobin
Feb-08-2017, 5:37pm
If you don't need to recuperate the money, donate them.

I had a lady give me her cheap entry-level mandolin at work because she knew I played the mandolin. I thanked her, but I really didn't want it. So I gave it to a friend here locally to set up and give to a student who could enjoy it. He ended up giving it away here on the Cafe to a young lady who was very happy with it. It felt great to help put an instrument in the hands of a young new player.

It's either that, or grow flowers in it...

Kalasinar
Feb-08-2017, 5:47pm
I've been in the same boat with my first mandolin. I was initially going to sell it... but like you, I realised the postage would be ridiculous compared to the mandolin's value. I resigned myself to keep it as a spare for when friends come round. It has proved handy in that respect.

I like the idea of donating to a school, but remembering the terrible state of the old school drum kit I played once during my school years, I can only see the poor thing being neglected and abused. I'd rather keep it in good nick and wait... see if anyone around me shows an interest in learning, then I'd probably give it to them to start them on their adventure.

mandroid
Feb-08-2017, 5:52pm
Yea Donations = Deductions on the form 10 40, for 2017.

CES
Feb-08-2017, 6:28pm
There are a couple of organizations that will accept instrument donations. I can recall a couple of luthiers who've requested such donations in the past, and I think the California BG Association was taking donations last year. Scott may have his finger more on this pulse than we do; may try shooting him a PM.

pops1
Feb-08-2017, 6:59pm
I have loaned a couple out to folks that want to play mandolin, they weren't sure they would be able to learn and didn't want to buy one so I loaned them one.

mrmando
Feb-08-2017, 7:03pm
We have a "Mando for Kids" program here in Seattle. It's a 501c3 nonprofit. If these are mandolins you're talking about, you can bring them to Wintergrass and I'll help you make sure they get passed along to a deserving elementary school kid.

Folkmusician.com
Feb-08-2017, 7:28pm
Shipping has really been on the rise these past few years (just went up again last month). I would say $30-$50 to ship a mandolin right now. Factor in having to hunt down a box, deal with the sale, etc, and it does make it questionable to sell a low priced instrument online.

Donating would be great, but obviously the same issue if it needs to be shipped. :)

Mark Gunter
Feb-08-2017, 9:50pm
Since the tax write-off isn't always such a big deal for me, I've given instruments to interested family members and to teachers in the area who can pass them on to students. Finding a charitable organization who can get them in the right hands is not as easy for me as finding a family member or teacher to pass them to.

Rodney Riley
Feb-08-2017, 10:52pm
Sent one of mine to the California Bluegrass Association's kids lending library.
Send to Randy at this address:

Randy January
100 Lifton ct
Roseville, CA 95747

Randy January
CBA Kids Lending Library Manager

Include your name and address and Randy will send a donation letter for tax deduction.

Bonniej
Feb-08-2017, 11:14pm
I left my beginner Rogue at my daughter's house. I won't need to take my good one when I travel to visit-just a 4 1/2 hour trip but at least its's one less thing to pack. I'm going to put some new strings on it next time I'm up there. I think it would be a good one to take on airlines also. I wouldn't ever want to take my good instruments when flying since I'm not a professional musician I don't have to have to travel with a primo instrument. i'm going on a cattle drive in June and will be in a tent for a week so it would be perfect-great to have for campfire sing=alongs.
Bonnie

HonketyHank
Feb-08-2017, 11:28pm
I had a Rogue that I bought on one of those $50, free shipping, sales. I used it to learn setup work ala Rob Meldrum's e-book (thanks Rob). Then I gave it to a kid down the street who was interested. Two months ago the kid brought it back because he had lost interest and he felt bad about just keeping it.

Then, last month someone posted here that he/she wanted to learn mandolin but at the first lesson, the teacher pointed out the twisted neck, etc, of the attic-found mandolin, and wanted advice on what to do that wouldn't cost much. I got his/her address and sent the Rogue on to new owner #3 (actually owner #4 if you count me twice) right away. Hopefully it will tide the new owner over until time for a significant upgrade.

Wasn't worth messing with to try to sell, postage wasn't at all bad, and I feel good about it.

re shipping costs - I think shipping costs can be drastically affected by the size of the box you ship in. Mandolins are right on the border line of fitting into a box that will ship based on weight only. Just a little bit bigger box will ship based on box dimensions and the price skyrockets. My bill last month was less than $20. But yes, if you have to buy a box and padding and tape, the bill goes up - I had all that stuff laying around.

JEStanek
Feb-09-2017, 10:03am
I donated a couple inexpensive instruments to music programs. You'll feel good about it.

Jamie

pops1
Feb-09-2017, 10:07am
Nice Hank, I just got my first loaner back, the young lady said she wrote several songs with it . She found a good deal in a pawn shop and bought herself one. Second one has only been out a few weeks, will most likely do this again.

Nevin
Feb-09-2017, 10:41am
There may be a charity thrift store near you you could donate them to.