PDA

View Full Version : Help to date my Kentucky Mandolin/Place of Produktion

vagabund
Feb-07-2017, 3:04pm
Hi eveybody,

since today I be proud owner of my first Mandolin. I play guitar and bass for a long time, sometimes also Banjo and Ukulele and now I pick up my first mandolin. I have no comparison to other mandolins but I think itīs fine.

It is a KM 380 S. The pre owner bought it in May 2001 here in Germany. In this forum I found, that the production changes at that time form Korea to China. Now I m interesstet, if this mandoline is produced in Korea or in China. The label says only "Saga Instruments SO. San Francisco, CA". The serial Number is: 000930.

Can someone help?

Many Thanks!

Greets

Marucs

indexless
Feb-07-2017, 3:15pm
Try flowers and a nice dinner, some soft music

vagabund
Feb-07-2017, 3:25pm
:-) sorry, my english isī not the best. The date was perfect an she is in my arms for a few hours ;-)

In only whatīs to know where she cames from.

FLATROCK HILL
Feb-07-2017, 3:37pm
Congratulations on your new mandolin vagabund! I cannot help you but I'm sure some one here can. And keep in mind... No matter where it was built, if you like it, that's all that really matters.

colorado_al
Feb-07-2017, 4:00pm
Congratulations on your new mandolin!
Please post some pictures. It would be helpful.
Thanks!

vagabund
Feb-07-2017, 4:42pm

vagabund
Feb-07-2017, 4:46pm

- - - Updated - - -

sblock
Feb-07-2017, 5:02pm
Saga Instruments is an importer based in South San Francisco, near the SFO airport. They do not make any musical instruments there. Saga Instruments are made by various shops in the Far East, mainly situated in China and South Korea. My understanding is that current Kentucky mandolins are all coming from shops in China. Before that, from S. Korea. And WAY before that, from Japan.

I am not sure if it matters whether your Kentucky happens to be from China or S. Korea -- it is a fairly low-end instrument, and its (limited) value will in no way depend on that. (It is not really a collector's item, and there is no strong second-hand market for these.) Just play it and enjoy it. Soon, you will probably be good enough to consider buying an upgrade!

Randi Gormley
Feb-07-2017, 5:32pm
for what it's worth, I owned a Kentucky 380S built probably in the early-to-mid-2000s -- sorry, I sold it a while ago and can't remember what year it was -- it was made in China. I remember it as being a fine instrument, but it used to fall asleep when I wasn't playing it a lot. So play yours a lot!

Folkmusician.com
Feb-07-2017, 6:23pm
2001 was the year production moved from Korea to China. I can't tell much from the images, but if I had to guess, I would say this is most likely Korean, for the simple fact that if he bought in May, there is a good chance it was made in 2000. We could read the serial number as 00 (2000) 09 (Sept), but we know from experience that this is not an accurate way to date Kentucky mandolins. In this case it does correspond though. :)

Congratulations on the new mandolin!

Br1ck
Feb-08-2017, 1:36pm
:-) sorry, my english isī not the best. The date was perfect an she is in my arms for a few hours ;-)

In only whatīs to know where she cames from.

Your English is fine. We're just having fun with you.

vagabund
Feb-09-2017, 7:30am
Your English is fine. We're just having fun with you.

Yes, I understand, I must laugh at myself as I read "... help to date ..." ;-)

At all others: Thanks for your input. I hope itīs from Korea like folkmusician supposed. And all others are right: i just play it and have fun ;-) In my opion itīs a great Mandolin to start and have fun for the next years.

My only Problem is, thatīs there is so little space between the frets - still less as on my Ukulele ;-)

colorado_al
Feb-09-2017, 11:43am
I think it has a high likelihood of being from Korea too. All instruments (and other items) imported to the USA require a Country of Origin Label, but only starting in 2002 because of the 2002 Farm Bill. Most instruments produced in China 2001 would be sold in the USA as 2002 models.

So my bet is it was made in Korea, since no Country of Origin Label is included.

It does bear a remarkable similarity to this one made in China:
https://reverb.com/item/457332-kentucky-km-380s-mandolin-great-deal
With this label

But the serial number is quite a different format, so it may not be from the same factory.

Caleb
Feb-09-2017, 12:29pm
My first mandolin was a 380S. I wish I still had it. Tons of volume and a great woody tone.

DataNick
Feb-09-2017, 1:28pm
Congrats vagabund on your new mandolin.

My second mandolin was a Kentucky km150 that had good tone, responsiveness and volume. It was an excellent starter instrument, and in that price range (<$1K) Kentucky makes some really good mandolins.

Enjoy and welcome to the Cafe!

mandroid
Feb-09-2017, 1:57pm
If From Kentucky She may be a Cousin :whistling:

Yea put "Kentucky" in (tm) quotes, As label says, its an imported product of Saga , in SF Cal .
Marine Container POE, Oakland.

and over the many years the source company has been Japan, So Korea, and now China,

changing to maintain target prices and company and retailer's profitability..

> tried emailing Saga musical imports and asking them directly?<

NB; China's Artisan-craftspeople has been making nice things from Wood
for over a millennia..