PDA

View Full Version : Skaggs

Stubs
Feb-01-2017, 7:53am
Going to see Mr. Skaggs Friday with the wife and granddaughter. She just loves his singing especially when he says "hearrrrrr" in hwy 40 blues. It is a surprise gift to her for her tenth birthday.
I on the other hand will watch his picking to see if I can pick up any pointers to help my feeble attempts at calling what do playing.
I'll grab my Chinese Loar Saturday morning and go sit by the bonfire and promptly hurl the Loar into the fire.
Next will be a series of special meetings with mando-loon physco docs to determine just how long I'll spend in the round room with rubber walls to recover.

BrianWilliam
Feb-01-2017, 7:59am
Bonfires in the morning? That sounds fun. Whiskey too?

Stubs
Feb-01-2017, 8:16am
That my friend is a given.

Ivan Kelsall
Feb-01-2017, 8:48am
Maybe i'm fortunate,but every top player of banjo or mandolin simply makes me want to practice even more than i do already !!.
Watching/hearing any top musician inspires the dickens out of me every time,
Ivan

Steve Ostrander
Feb-01-2017, 9:45am
Don't burn your Loar, take it and try to get Ricky to autograph it!!

JeffD
Feb-01-2017, 10:59am
I'll grab my Chinese Loar Saturday morning and go sit by the bonfire and promptly hurl the Loar into the fire.
Next will be a series of special meetings with mando-loon physco docs to determine just how long I'll spend in the round room with rubber walls to recover.

Don't be discouraged by the playing of our musical heroes. They don't own your music or your playing of it.

My thoughts. (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/entry.php?213-Muscal-Heroes) And my further thoughts (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/entry.php?833-Musical-Heroes-a-second-take). And more stuff I thought about (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/entry.php?1013-Musical-Heroes-Take-Three).

All that said - to sit with Ricky Skaggs is an absolute thrill. I am not sure I wouldn't embarrass myself as a total loser fan boy.

Stubs
Feb-01-2017, 11:53am
Yes he is a wonderful gift to us all who love to play the mando.
I have no illusions of being in that league, my interest is to just be able to contribute to a jam and enjoy playing.
I do jest about my Loar. It's the best I can afford and currently it's better than me.
I would not dare carry my Loar in and seek his signature. That would be imposing and not kewl. I'll send my granddaughter with it, who could refuse a little girl???

Denny Gies
Feb-01-2017, 12:13pm
Stubs, take two aspirin and call me in the morning. Have fun.

Willie Poole
Feb-01-2017, 3:35pm
Hope you aren`t disappointed like I was at the first show I ever saw Ricky do, he preached more then he played, preaching is OK, at church but not at a bluegrass show, just my opinion...

willie

allenhopkins
Feb-01-2017, 3:39pm
As I recall -- and this may be as long ago as when Skaggs was with Boone Creek -- someone in his band referred to him as "The Mouth of the South." True? And has he changed?

JH Murray
Feb-01-2017, 5:49pm
I saw Ricky Skaggs with Ry Cooder last year. Backed up by Buck White on piano and Sharon White on vocals. It was an evening of pure delight. They all obviously enjoy what they do. I will never aspire to play as well as Mr. Skaggs. I do aspire to enjoy playing my mandolin as much as he enjoys playing his. And for that I'm thankful.

Torpedotom
Feb-01-2017, 5:58pm
I honestly think that lots of rank beginners enjoy playing their instruments or playing "at" their instruments as much or more than people of Mr. Skaggs caliber.

Spruce
Feb-01-2017, 7:55pm
As I recall -- and this may be as long ago as when Skaggs was with Boone Creek -- someone in his band referred to him as "The Mouth of the South." True? And has he changed?

Dunno, as I haven't seen him since '78 when he ruined the only live performance of the Manzanita Band with his chatter...
I've been told I need to go to Al-Anon, but Ricky needs to go to On-and-On (and On-and-On-and-On)... ;)

Stubs
Feb-02-2017, 7:13am
Well I see this humorous intended post became a personal opinion attack on Mr. Skaggs. I would have to say I don’t know Mr. Skaggs personally and the one concert I attended of his I was pleased with what I heard and saw.
Like our folks before us said” If you have nothing good to say, just don’t say anything”. Unfortunately unlike the past where if you said something bad about someone, you better be able to back it up or get punched square in the mouth. It is fashionable to make disparaging remarks and expect to receive support for such. I’m not in his fan club, but he is a great musician and in my mind did a lot to keep Bluegrass alive in a time when it was fading off into the sunset.
But that is merely my prospective and you mileage may vary. I intend to go and enjoy what he presents and enjoy watching the Granddaughter listen and watch a great band.
Those who have an aversion to his concerts just don’t go. That will cost you nothing.

Drew Egerton
Feb-02-2017, 9:07am
I've had mixed feelings on Ricky since he left a bunch of us standing at the CD table waiting to shake and howdy before the manager told us to leave. Have always loved his music.

With those mixed feelings, I hesitated to borrow his autobiography from a friend and read it, but I did.
It was a fantastic read. I am not much of a reader honestly and only read books that really really interest me.
I read the entire book in a weekend. I will say it was "preachier" than I would have preferred, but I knew that going in. Overall, very good!

Spruce
Feb-02-2017, 10:01am
I hesitated to borrow his autobiography from a friend and read it, but I did.
It was a fantastic read. I am not much of a reader honestly and only read books that really really interest me.
I read the entire book in a weekend. I will say it was "preachier" than I would have preferred, but I knew that going in. Overall, very good!

Thanks for that...I love reading music biographies...
You might want to give "Road Mangler Deluxe" by Phil Kauffman a go...he gives Ricky a page or two, and it's very insightful... ;)

allenhopkins
Feb-02-2017, 10:20am
Well I see this humorous intended post became a personal opinion attack on Mr. Skaggs....Like our folks before us said” If you have nothing good to say, just don’t say anything”...if you said something bad about someone, you better be able to back it up or get punched square in the mouth. It is fashionable to make disparaging remarks and expect to receive support for such...that is merely my prospective and you mileage may vary...

No disparagement intended of Ricky Skaggs' musical skills; he is a fine musician, and has had an important role in "popularizing" bluegrass and bluegrass-influenced music. Plus, he used to have an awesome haircut.

However, many who attend his performances express a desire for a bit more music, and a bit less talk. Not everyone will agree with this perspective, but in many threads discussing his music (and there are a buncha them), the topic comes up.

Whether this is an "attack" depends on your perspective. On the other hand, a forum like this is largely dedicated to "personal opinion" -- which we expect we can express without being "punched square in the mouth," either physically or verbally.

I like Ricky Skaggs' music, and listen to his recordings frequently, especially the early ones with the late Keith Whitley; Second Generation Bluegrass is a favorite. He doesn't get to western New York much, so I don't see him in concert. But it has been a running commentary, going back to his earlier bands like Boone Creek and Seldom Scene, that he does tend to talk a lot onstage; the "Mouth of the South" nickname came from one of his bandmates, I believe. That's the sub-topic that came up in this thread.

All of us tend to defend the musicians we really like and respect, and I'm no exception. But I think I can accept their flaws as well -- Bill Monroe's hot temper, Jimmy Martin's frequent "Rodney Dangerfield/no respect" complaining, etc. etc. Ricky Skaggs can be a great musician, and also talk too much onstage, and saying that is just an honest opinion and evaluation. Calling it a "personal attack" makes it sound a lot worse than it is.

And I'm outta here, before getting this thread closed...

JeffD
Feb-02-2017, 11:38am
What the critics call flaws the fans call features. Ricky is freaking amazing.

Spruce
Feb-02-2017, 1:07pm
What the critics call flaws the fans call features. Ricky is freaking amazing.

Yep...
Ya'll might enjoy this (http://www.radiofreeolga.com/rfo-podcasts/emmylou-harris-at-the-orcas.html)...
Emmylou and Ricky came out to our little island in 1979, and I managed to snag a recording of it...
Ricky's playing a Loar...

Bill Foss
Feb-02-2017, 1:46pm
I saw Ricky Skaggs with Ry Cooder last year. Backed up by Buck White on piano and Sharon White on vocals. It was an evening of pure delight. They all obviously enjoy what they do. I will never aspire to play as well as Mr. Skaggs. I do aspire to enjoy playing my mandolin as much as he enjoys playing his. And for that I'm thankful.

I've seen Ry live and Ricky live, but I did not see them together when they were touring recently (although I've seen videos of some of the recent performances). Having followed their careers I think it's safe to say they are probably on different ends of the political spectrum. Which brings me to my point. It seems they put any political/religious differences aside and to come together to make great music. What a wonderful thing!

Stubs
Feb-02-2017, 4:40pm
Huuuummm I fail to see where any of my statements were directed toward anyone at all.
But if you were offended let me apologize.
I mearly was stating a fact of the past and did not realize someone would take it as a personal issue.
I hope you enjoy your safe room. I'll be retiring to mine with Loar in hand.

FLATROCK HILL
Feb-02-2017, 5:19pm
Huuuummm I fail to see where any of my statements were directed toward anyone at all.
But if you were offended let me apologize.
I mearly was stating a fact of the past and did not realize someone would take it as a personal issue.
I hope you enjoy your safe room. I'll be retiring to mine with Loar in hand.

Hi Stubs, I sincerely hope that you, your wife and granddaughter have a wonderful time at the Skaggs concert. Wish I were going too.
As far as offending anyone, I certainly see nothing you said as offensive. Well, on second thought, you may have ruffled some feathers by referring to your mandolin as a 'Loar' without including 'The' in front of it.:)

Clark

DataNick
Feb-02-2017, 5:49pm
Stubs,

No need to feel like you've done anything wrong. There are certain individuals on the cafe who are lightning rods for extreme reaction: Bill Monroe, Chris Thile, Ricky Skaggs; and to a lesser extent Sam Bush, Sierra Hull, etc.

Personally I love Ricky Skaggs as he's one of my mandolin heroes. I've heard stories, but we all hear something about someone, and all of us as human beings are flawed, so I don't let "stories" affect me as a rule, and prefer to focus on a person's musical language and contributions.

One thing that puzzles me about these forums is that when a person starts a thread celebrating whatever is important to them, that those who don't share that sentiment feel a need to chime in with negativity. I've always thought that if for example you're celebrating Chris Thile, why do I need to come into your thread and douse your sentiment with a splash of cold, negativity; but alas it happens!

The event you're going to sounds like a fun-filled experience, and if I were in your shoes, I'd try to get Mr. Skaggs to sign my mando; in a creative place mind you...LOL!

Best Regards!

Ivan Kelsall
Feb-03-2017, 3:28am
I'm another who loves Ricky Skaggs when he's in 'Bluegrass mode''. He's a terrific musician in every respect. I've learned several of his mandolin instrumentals & tried my hand at several others = not there yet !.I've never seen him live over here,but i do believe that he likes to talk. He played one of our Bluegrass festivals over here several years back & i believe that he spent a lot of his time on stage talking. That wouldn't bother me too much apart from more talk = less playing.

Many years back,Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver played the long defunct Edale Bluegrass festival over here. Doyle spent a LOT of time talking & sermonising which didn't go down too well i'm afraid. Nobody need to 'push' their faith etc. on stage & Doyle's reply to a friend of mine on asking him a question,was far from Christian. Other than that, Doyle & his band were pretty darned awesome !!!.

I think that we must accept that 'some' folks have traits that don't go down too well with the rest of us,but we overlook those & enjoy their musicianship - at least,i would ( i hope),
Ivan;)

taptuned
Feb-03-2017, 9:05am
I was fortunate enough to see Ricky and his band Kentucky Thunder 4 or 5 years ago here on the east coast of Canada.

The complete show was professional from start to finish. I would not hesitate to see another of his performances.

FLATROCK HILL
Feb-03-2017, 9:33am
I was fortunate enough to see Ricky and his band Kentucky Thunder 4 or 5 years ago here on the east coast of Canada.

The complete show was professional from start to finish. I would not hesitate to see another of his performances.

Thank you taptuned; that should settle it.
Silent for 12 years and you felt compelled to chime in on Ricky's behalf. I'd say that carries some weight.:)

Timbofood
Feb-03-2017, 1:39pm
Have not seen him in ages, he doesn't come around here too often.
Maybe he might be a bit chatty but, I'll listen to him play a comb if he's as good at that as his other instruments!
One mans opinion.

Stubs
Feb-03-2017, 5:59pm
Here at Famous Daves BBQ loading up before the show..

Timbofood
Feb-03-2017, 7:35pm
Here at Famous Daves BBQ loading up before the show..

You or him?

Stubs
Feb-03-2017, 8:05pm
Me not Mr. Skaggs

johnmarkva
Feb-04-2017, 8:39am
I've seen him several times at festivals in the last few years and he has never been talkative or preachy. He and Kentucky Thunder were fantastic. I'm not doubting that he doesn't share his faith or get chatty, but hasn't the times I saw him. He is also much slimmer recently so he might be laying off the BBQ! I have seen a number of folks like Doyle Lawson make a statement of faith and include a Gospel song or two. To me that's a part of the roots of the music and I can respect that.

Stubs
Feb-04-2017, 9:27am
It was a super concert. Great musicians and good energy.
Only downer was Dennis one of his guitar players was suffering from the flu and passed out on stage. He fell right on top of his guitar and I hope it is not damaged, but man it was a hard fall. That rattled Ricky and the band jumped off the planned list and they played a lot of good older bluegrass tunes until they composed thenselves.
Ricky does tie very short stories as he moves from person to person who's music he has either played with or recorded. But that ties the show together. I personally liked the continuity to the songs and it was in no way "chatty".
Being a Christian I did enjoy the gospel songs and they were few.
We did not stay for autographs and there was no way I was leaving my Chinese Loar in the freezing car to take in like a autograph hound For a signature.
Granddaughter had a ball watching him and hearing his little jokes.
Mr.Skaggs if you just happen to read this " Thank You for a great concert" God Bless

taptuned
Feb-04-2017, 10:15am
Good to hear you and your grand daughter enjoyed the show Stubs. I sure hope
Dennis the guitar player is ok. Personally...I like a little chat between songs.
I,ve been to concerts before..and the band did about 10 songs in a row and in
my opinion...it was a little,,,too much :o

Loubrava
Feb-04-2017, 10:34am
Nothing like seeing a great show with great musicians very inspiring. Too bad about the Guitar player I never saw anything like happen hope the guys Ok. About wanting chuck your mando in a fire, A band mate told me one time "just cause I can't play golf like Tiger woods doesn't mean I'm not gonna golf" Too all of us with day jobs playing is flat out fun and what more can you ask for. So keep picking and grinnen.
Lou

Dagger Gordon
Feb-04-2017, 1:19pm
Only downer was Dennis one of his guitar players was suffering from the flu and passed out on stage. He fell right on top of his guitar and I hope it is not damaged, but man it was a hard fall.

Good heavens. That must have been pretty bad flu.

Joel Glassman
Feb-04-2017, 6:00pm
I got to hang out with Ricky & band in their room at IBMA. They were jamming on instrumentals played as fast as anyone could. After about 2 hours of this Ricky said "I'm getting a little tired". :disbelief:

Stubs
Feb-04-2017, 6:27pm
He said his fingers were getting a little sore during the concert. I'm not sure but I think it's been a while since Mr. Skaggs has been in full concert mode.

dhergert
Feb-04-2017, 6:55pm
I fell off a stage once during a gig. Not sick or drunk (non-drinker), just clumsy and not watching what I was doing. I was playing the Dobro at the time and somehow got it up in the air where it made no contact with the ground; it suffered no damage from that one. I was a little embarassed and sore the next day. The band played on.

And I've seen people pass out and fall on their instruments... No fun either.

I'm glad Ricky pulled the band together. If it had been me passing out, that's' what I would have wanted. He puts on a great perfromance.

Stubs
Feb-04-2017, 7:21pm
The guy who fell had a bleeding nose and it was a full face plant. On top of landing on the neck of his guitar. I just hope he's ok today. I'm sure he got a night in the hospital.

dhergert
Feb-04-2017, 7:27pm
I hope he's ok too.

I'm curious about how this was handled... Did the venue have stage people who helped take him off-stage and did some initial treatment? Or was this handled by Ricky and his band mates? Did they call an ambulance?

Stubs
Feb-05-2017, 8:47am
Initially Mr.Skaggs and band mates, then road crew got him off stage and they took him in some maner unknown to the crowd for medical attention.

ferrousgeek
Feb-05-2017, 7:49pm
Dennis Parker

http://www.rickyskaggs.com/news/01-25-17/dennis-parker-back-home-kentucky-thunder

JeffD
Feb-05-2017, 10:26pm
I honestly think that lots of rank beginners enjoy playing their instruments or playing "at" their instruments as much or more than people of Mr. Skaggs caliber.

Now that is a subject to discuss. (As a separate thread.) Listening to our heroes, and playing music. Apples and chain saws. I sometimes think your point is right on. Other times I can't imagine playing as well as Ricky Skaggs and not just loving the potatoes out of every second. But then I know that I love the potatoes out of every second I am playing the dern thing anyway.

Someone should start a separate thread on this.

re simmers
Feb-06-2017, 8:26am
I've seen Ricky's live shows about a dozen or so times since the "Highway 40" days. His shows are always spectacular. He and his band are always studio quality. I first saw him in about 1984 when he was a hot country act, and what a show. VERY little talking. He literally ran around the stage grabbing mandolins, mandocasters, guitars, fiddles, and he was THE MAN! Since then he has become more of a talker as the years have gone by.
A few other observations: he is the only one who talks. Absolutely no other band member ever says a word. Although, Jim Mills smiled. Also, no one moves. So, talking has apparently replaced the movement!!!
None of the above bothers me. I know what to expect. The music is exceptional, and I agree with his subject matter, anyhow.
Bob

AlanN
Feb-06-2017, 9:15am
I got to hang out with Ricky & band in their room at IBMA. They were jamming on instrumentals played as fast as anyone could. After about 2 hours of this Ricky said "I'm getting a little tired". :disbelief:

Now, that must have been great. Did Andy pick mandolin at all, or just fiddle?

ccravens
Feb-06-2017, 9:24am
Is Andy still with the group?

When we saw them here in Crockett, Texas in December, Andy said that it was his last show with the group. He is going into some form of Christian ministry. Not sure exactly what, and not sure that he was sure either.

What a fine fiddle player, mando picker, and genuinely good person.

Willie Poole
Feb-06-2017, 10:05am
Bob, I am sure you saw Ricky at Gettysburg when he had his own sound man and wouldn`t go on stage until they set it up and it took over 40 minutes to do that and that cut short the time that the band before him played, that wasn`t as bad as it might have been because the band ahead of his was The Dry Branch Fire Squad and Ron talks a lot more than Ricky, DBFS played three songs on that set and he talked the rest of the time, the irony of that is that some people like it...

That's when I go for the beer stand....Did you get one of those MK`s?

Willie

Stubs
Feb-06-2017, 1:25pm
Andy is not with the band any longer.

Joel Glassman
Feb-06-2017, 3:57pm
Now, that must have been great. Did Andy pick mandolin at all, or just fiddle?
This was in 2001, by the way. Andy played some mandolin when Ricky was on guitar. Mostly fiddle though.
Bobby Hicks played also and Sharon White sang a couple. I looked in the room and asked Ricky if I could stay
and listen. He said yes. It was definitely a jam session. If they had been practicing I wouldn't have asked.
They were showing each other licks and new music and fooling around. A great experience, and maybe
the best up-close playing I've ever heard.

Mandoplumb
Feb-06-2017, 8:06pm
Now that is a subject to discuss. (As a separate thread.) Listening to our heroes, and playing music. Apples and chain saws. I sometimes think your point is right on. Other times I can't imagine playing as well as Ricky Skaggs and not just loving the potatoes out of every second. But then I know that I love the potatoes out of every second I am playing the dern thing anyway.
Someone should start a separate thread on this.

I think that no matter hoe much you love what you do for a living even if it's playing music, there are bound to be days when you would rather play hokey and just goof off. That is the reason I've never really wanted to play for a living.

Gibson John
Feb-07-2017, 12:00am
I just saw Skaggs & his band Kentucky Thunder this January for the first time & this was one the the best shows I've ever been to.
I've never seen anyone play the mando like him & I love hearing him tell his stories.
Also everyone in his group are great players.
I would definitely see him again if he appears in my area again.