PDA

View Full Version : 1923 Gibson snakehead value

Mandodork
Jan-28-2017, 9:14am
I've got an opportunity to buy a 23 Snakehead A1. It's been refinished, (when deteriorated binding was replaced), and new tuners were installed, otherwise all original. No top sinkage.

I haven't played it yet, and tone/playability will ultimately decide whether to buy or not, but I'm curious about it's approximate value.

I want a player, so the new tuners and finish don't bother me at all.
Just wondering what the approximate going rate would be from a negotiating standpoint.

Thanks

FLATROCK HILL
Jan-28-2017, 9:38am
Model? There can be quite a range between the Jr.s, various A models and A2Zs. And what about pickguard, bridge, tailpiece etc. Pics would go a long way to help (the guys who know) put a value on it.

Mandodork
Jan-28-2017, 9:50am
Whoops, left that out. Looks like an A1. Pickguard is intact but not mounted. Original tailpiece and bridge.

pops1
Jan-28-2017, 10:54am
Not original bridge, the wheels are large, not small. Seems like a nice mandolin, I talked with him a few times and seems like a nice guy also. This is an A1 with original back binding, not all of them have back binding.

fatt-dad
Jan-28-2017, 3:31pm
$1,500? Original parts $2k? A dealer maybe $2,500? Hard to know without eying fretboard and frets.

f-d

Mandodork
Jan-28-2017, 4:58pm
Thanks Pops and Fatt-dad!

Was told some divots in fretboard, some fret wear but still very playable. Thought he mentioned original bridge, but wondered about big thumbwheels. Likely my mistake.

Researched dealers and Ebay pricing. Huge variations. That's why I reached out to members for opinions. Don't want to lowball the guy, but don't want to overpay either! Also don't want to waste either of our time, as we're a good distance away from each other.

John Soper
Jan-28-2017, 10:52pm
Refinished and not original or even period correct bridge... a dealer will ask more, but there are several snakeheads at dealers with original finish, case in good condition, and original parts for circa $2500. I think fatt-dad's first estimate is close to what I'd offer, maybe on the high end. It would have to be a great player's mandolin, whose overall sound and playability floated your boat. I'd have to play it before I would consider any transaction for the mandolin in question.

ollaimh
Feb-04-2017, 4:42am
i like snakeheads a lot. got two of em. one mostly origional(repaired top crack) one refinished. the refinish didn't seem to affect the tone much. it's loud and sweet with woodiness that a snake head should have. so if the top isn't shrunk it's probably a great player. i got my refinished on ebay for $775 usd, but it was a gamble as it needed a back crack closed, mancine heads and bridge, it came out fantastic. so if he's selling for $1500 that's a good deal if it plays . i wouldn't pay more for a refinished unless i fell in love with it. which can happen. but dealers will ask a lot more. origional ones are asking top dollars now a days, but they do turn up on ebay for ok prices occasionally. a lot depends on the condition and tone.

Billy Packard
Feb-04-2017, 11:23pm
Snakehead--Schmakehead!

The machine head has no effect whatsoever on the tone or playability of the mandolin. All the panting, sweating and hard-breathing about the 'snakehead' is hyperbole. The headstock is purely cosmetic. It is obviously a desirable cosmetic attribute given every A model these days sports a "snakehead", but cosmetic nonetheless.

Billy

billypackardmandolin.com

pheffernan
Feb-04-2017, 11:42pm
Snakehead--Schmakehead! The machine head has no effect whatsoever on the tone or playability of the mandolin. All the panting, sweating and hard-breathing about the 'snakehead' is hyperbole. The headstock is purely cosmetic. It is obviously a desirable cosmetic attribute given every A model these days sports a "snakehead", but cosmetic nonetheless.

I don't think that anyone is suggesting causation with the peghead, Billy, only correlation. The snakehead coincides with numerous other developments during the Loar era at Gibson (adjustable truss rod, narrow neck profile, adjustable bridge, changed graduations, etc.) that absolutely have an effect on tone and playability. Not everyone is going to prefer those effects, and it is possible to find Loar era (and later) paddleheads with those same advances, but the snakehead remains an easy visual marker for features that many players find desirable.

Timbofood
Feb-05-2017, 9:12pm
Perspective...
The carburetor was developed before fuel injection. If the chronology had been reversed....
What is, is what it might be, one can never honestly say.