PDA

View Full Version : I must have been out of my mind.

fscotte
Jan-26-2017, 2:15pm
Something got in me this morning to bind the f-holes. Only took me 4 hours. Now I gotta sand and shape.

HonketyHank
Jan-26-2017, 2:34pm
It will be interesting to see if this has any effect on the loudness or projection or tone. I saw a study some time ago that concluded that the 'ears' of the f holes were very strong radiators of the vibrations of the soundboard. From that study, if valid, I would suspect that binding the f-holes would limit the ears' ability to radiate pressure waves.

But what do I know? Keep us posted! Interesting.

Dale Ludewig
Jan-26-2017, 3:22pm
I've done it numerous times. Time consuming, isn't it? I've not been able to tell any difference in the sound at all. It's pretty though. If you really want a tedious task, do it with IBI or something like that, The miters will make you question your sanity.

fscotte
Jan-26-2017, 3:24pm
Right Dale. That's why you see solid ivoroid binding, .060".

sunburst
Jan-26-2017, 4:32pm
=HonketyHank;1549005...I saw a study some time ago that concluded that the 'ears' of the f holes were very strong radiators of the vibrations of the soundboard.

Hogwash.

From that study, if valid, I would suspect that binding the f-holes would limit the ears' ability to radiate pressure waves.

But what do I know?

This is one of those situations where I really appreciate the work of Dave Cohen and others who have demonstrated that instrument tops move in their normal modes of motion and do nothing else. Armed with that knowledge, I can confidently say "hogwash" when "studies" conclude that the "ears" of f-holes do anything in particular other than moving along with the rest of the top in the normal modes of motion.
I know it's fun for many people to speculate on things like f-hole "ears" behaving as little "tweeters", radiating sound strongly, or whatever, but as for me, I view thinking such thoughts as a waste of time.

As for plastic binding in f-holes, assuming the same size holes bound or not, the only thing that could affect the normal modes of motion, and thus the sound, would be added mass, decreased mass, added stiffness, decreased stiffness, of some combination of a couple of those. If plastic is denser or less dense than spruce (assuming a spruce top) there may be a very slight change in the total mass of the top. If plastic is stiffer or less stiff than spruce there may be a very slight change in the total stiffness of the top. Would I expect a perceivable or measurable change in sound from plastic-bound f-holes? Nope, and I don't feel a need to waste the time it takes to think about it. (Enough time wasted simply writing this...)

Clinton Johnson
Jan-26-2017, 5:12pm
Hmmm shall we add a few more dollars to the price of the mandolin to compensate for the 4hrs of mind loss? Lol...nice binding job

HonketyHank
Jan-26-2017, 6:39pm
Well, the binding does look nice. :)

fscotte
Jan-26-2017, 6:41pm
Hogwash. If plastic is stiffer or less stiff than spruce there may be a very slight change in the total stiffness of the top. Would I expect a perceivable or measurable change in sound from plastic-bound f-holes? Nope, and I don't feel a need to waste the time it takes to think about it. (Enough time wasted simply writing this...)

Deflection testing before and after indicate that the difference is negligible

Skip Kelley
Jan-26-2017, 7:20pm
Something got in me this morning to bind the f-holes. Only took me 4 hours. Now I gotta sand and shape.

The binding looks great! And it looks like a lot of work! Nicely done!

pops1
Jan-26-2017, 8:57pm
Sometimes focusing on something to take our minds off things is a worthwhile project. You ended up with something that is not typical and a little special and I hope you had a 4 hour zen experience.

Tavy
Jan-27-2017, 3:28am
Well done, I can't imagine doing that in 60 thou ivoride - that stuff does not bend too easily!

dschonbrun
Jan-27-2017, 9:10am
Nicely done. Provides a lovely detail, and it will differentiate the Mando visually, as few instruments receive the treatment.

What stain are you planning for the top?

fscotte
Jan-27-2017, 11:38am
Gretsch orange.

This is my goal, more orange, minus the block inlay.

Austin Clark
Jan-27-2017, 11:10pm
Even more fun to scrape.....

LKinser
Jan-28-2017, 9:34am
It will nice to see it finished.

Tavy
Jan-29-2017, 2:28pm
Apparently this is catching... no not binding f-holes... just doing stupid stuff in the name of instrument making. In my case bending ebony, man this stuff is stiff!

Willie Poole
Jan-29-2017, 3:08pm
If, I say "IF" the binding made the holes smaller wouldn`t that make a difference in the sound? I would assume that the builder would cut the FF holes a tad larger than normal and then after installing the binding the holes would be about the normal size, whatever that is....From what I have read and heard it is just for looks anyway...

fscotte
Jan-29-2017, 5:43pm
It'll lower the resonant freq a tad, but not anything significant. I tried to make the f-holes about the size of the Gibson Doyle Lawson.