PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going to US Open at Pinehurst

Links
Jun-04-2005, 8:44pm
Wondered if any mandolin players are planning on going to the US Open at Pinehurst. I am thinking about taking mine and possibly my guitar and banjo.

If you come, I plan on playing on the porch of the Pinecrest Inn (if they don't run me off) sometimes in the evening. If you are going to be there, let me know, and maybe we can meet up and play a few tunes. Maybe we can get some of the golf nuts to buy us a beer - never know!

The Pinecrest is a neat place and should be a lot of fun!

johnwalser
Jun-05-2005, 1:02am
Remember to catch some of the marvelous golf action during the daylight hours, you lucky Dawg!!!!
John

Jeff A
Jun-05-2005, 10:07am
Watch out when the boys in the bar start chipping at you!

dtb
Jun-05-2005, 10:12am
I wish......... I will be here cutting the greens at 6am, Sat. and Sunday, as we have our member/guest tourney this week-end.

Links
Jun-05-2005, 9:25pm
Bummer, guys! I hoped there would be a few folks there so we could earn us some free beers.

Jeff, last time I was there they had taken the foam rubber "target" out of the lobby. I did notice the picture above the fireplace was "damaged", no doubt by an intoxicated "chipper". I think Ben Crenshaw still holds the record at 10 straight!

John, if I wanted to catch some marvelous golf I ought to stay home with you and watch it on TV. Seriously, I love going, but it's a whole lot easier to watch it on the tube. I'm in the golf business, so I'm usually there to rub elbows with friend and other contacts. Still a lot of fun!

Greg H.
Jun-05-2005, 10:10pm
Of course this whole discussion may be a moot point if they don't get the fairway problems sorted out in time.

Links
Jun-06-2005, 6:27am
Greg:

I haven't been keeping up with the course and are not aware of any fairway problems. What are they?

The only thing I can imagine is that we have had a cool spring and the rough may not be growing as long and dense as the USGA likes. They also may have had some "spring dead spot", but they certainly would have been able to get in sod and repair that. I'll bet that if it's anything that can be fixed by humans, Paul Jett, the superintendent will have it ready to go.

csstanley
Jun-06-2005, 7:26am
Because of a cool winter the grass hasn't thinckened up as much as they would like. But since this warm weather has moved in they are thinking it may be alright now.

I'm just not bored enough to go watch golf. I'd rather play. To me golf is somethig I watch on Sunday afternoon after church to help me take a nap. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

kudzugypsy
Jun-06-2005, 8:01am
we just played a house party at one of the 'guest' houses that the pros will be staying at during the open...needless to say, it was VERY nice. the one perk to playing music is getting into some levels of lifestyle that others can only imagine. we've had the pleasure of playing a few of these, and they have all been spactacular...the food, the music, the setting...and the money.
they had it catered by a SE champion BBQ winner...i have NEVER had ribs so good!!!

if your going to be in the area, then lets set up a jam. i'm only 30mins away from So. Pines. i've got plenty of good pickers to dial up.

i had thought we might get some jobs during the open, i would think the 'visitors' would enjoy some good southern music...i think the folks in charge dont look to favorable on 'string bands' though...which is a shame.

Greg H.
Jun-06-2005, 11:36am
I think csstanley pretty much has it there. They were having trouble getting the grass up to the 3" requirement so it was making the local papers a good bit. I imagine it's not really a problem (my lawn grew 3" in the last week) at this point.

Links
Jun-07-2005, 4:47pm
I think you are right Greg. I just got back from Wilson (NC) and the last few days, with a few showers really has the rough growing. I also understand that some of their green collars did not come out of dormancy too well and that they have had to re-sod some of them. I feel pretty sure that they will have everything pretty "slick" for the Open.

Kudzu, I would love to get together, but until you get there are see which roads they are going to have closed/open, it's difficult to make plans unless you are way out of town. I was going to try and taake a couple of instruments to the Pinecrest Inn (right in the village) but am not sure how close the traffic control folks will let me get.

Maybe we can weasel out way to play for some of the contestants and guests. I know some of the players, but probably not good enough to invite myself to "entertain" them.