PDA

View Full Version : Erie, PA

dgb
Jun-04-2005, 5:30pm
I'm a beginner and looking for some folks to play with--old time, gospel, classical, folk, whatever. Anyone in the Erie-Edinboro-Meadville area?

Diana

aimee
Jun-06-2005, 9:11am
Hi Diana,

There's our local bluegrass fest in Mayville NY to be held Father's day weekend, not far from Erie on beautiful Chautauqua lake. If the weather is fine, jammin's held down by the lake right under the willows. Last year was kinda cold.

aimee

dgb
Jun-06-2005, 11:58am
Hi aimee,

Thanks--I'll check that out. What I'm really hoping for is to find a local (or semi-local) group which either gets together or is willing to get together on a regular basis. The people at the local music store didn't know of anyone, but surely there are some other adults in Erie who jam, or want to??? I'm just starting to learn some old time tunes on my own and realize how much better it would be with others.

Diana

aimee
Jun-06-2005, 12:45pm
Why not pm me & maybe I could make the trek to Erie some weekday evening? I can play some tunes in the genres you've selected, plus backup almost anything with open guitar chords, but I don't get much fancier than that.

schaef0
Jun-07-2005, 12:05pm
i'm from pittsburgh... but afraid i'm not up to jammin' level http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif we'll see if my confidence boosts

dgb
Jun-07-2005, 2:35pm
aimee, I tried to pm you, but not sure it went through, so I'll try again. schaef0, I'm not up to jamming level either, but there's only one way to get there! Diana

Mark Liuzzo
Jun-07-2005, 4:36pm
Every Thursday evening, Doo-Dah's Tavern in Busti, NY (2 mi south of Jamestown on the PA line) has an open bluegrass jam. #This is attended by a good mix of regulars and semi-regulars from all around SW NY and NW PA. 716.488.1839.

If you stop in on 6/16, you'll see many familiar faces at Mayville that weekend - - a good way to develop contacts.

aimee
Jun-08-2005, 9:15am
Hey Maple,
I've been to Doo-Dah's, and a more kind, encouraging bunch of professionals and wannabe's never existed. Maybe it's time to make the hike over the hill again this summer.

dgb
Jun-08-2005, 11:07am
Sounds good--I'll try to get over there next Thursday.

Andrew Reckhart
Jun-08-2005, 7:11pm
I am from Stoneboro PA. I'm less than 60 miles down I-79 from Edinboro University of PA (Also my alma mater). My band practices on Wednesday nights. We always welcome others to sit in. I'd be more than happy to post a list of all of the local festivals coming up this summer. Feel free to contact me.

aimee
Jun-09-2005, 12:31pm
Yeah, it'd be great to have a list of the festivals in Western PA, Andrew.

Are any of you western PA folks planning on attending Greenwood Furnace gthering? It's July 8-10. Linda Littleton from Simple Gifts, who organized Juniata is in charge, and the park where it's held is supposed to be absolutely beautiful.

Moose
Jun-09-2005, 1:00pm
Sure hope all you folks around Erie...., get together - sometime! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Fiddler on the roof
Jun-25-2005, 11:43am
Pittsburgh area here, Kennerdell most weekends at my camp. I've been adapting from fiddle to mando for around a month and am ready to dabble with some other players.