PDA

View Full Version : Have you given anything up for MAS

soliver
Jan-23-2017, 7:27pm
Several years before I started playing Mandolin I got involved in an extreme sport called Kite Buggying or Power Kiting. The sport involves kites that provide traction (obviously from the wind) for a small 3 wheeled buggy or a pneumatic tires skate board. If you have been to the beach and seen guys kite surfing, it is very similar, only it's done on land (and you get to sit down :D ). Quite frankly, I was obsessed and still am to a certain degree very involved in this sport. But over the weekend I was presented with an opportunity to sell and trade out some gear and may likely end up with some extra money which I plan to set aside and start a fund to satisfy a desire for a second Mandolin.

There was a time not too long ago, where I didn't imagine I'd ever be giving up kites for anything else, and here I've found myself selling kites to buy a Mandolin... so I'm curious what others may have given up in the name of MAS?

Anyone?

Kevin Stueve
Jan-23-2017, 7:34pm
I tried to give up a master bath remodel, but got vetoed by she who must not be named ;)

HonketyHank
Jan-23-2017, 9:12pm
Pride. Shame. Dignity. Hi. My name is Hank. I'm a mandoholic.

George R. Lane
Jan-23-2017, 10:06pm
Just my sanity, till my wife hit up side the head with my old MK.

Tobin
Jan-23-2017, 10:09pm
I sold my Harley for my Ellis, so ...yeah.

Jim Garber
Jan-23-2017, 10:12pm
I sold some mandolins for another mandolin. Does that count?

Jess L.
Jan-24-2017, 2:09am
... I'm curious what others may have given up in the name of MAS? ...

Nothing. :disbelief: Nowadays, I buy cheap stuff that fits my budget. :grin: :)) :whistling:

It's actually kind of a fun challenge :cool: for stubborn mule-headed people like myself, to see how much musical-type sounds I can pull from some two-bit piece of junk. :grin: (As long as it's well set up, straight neck, strings not an inch above the fretboard.)

If nothing else, if my music sounds totally sucky, people might be more inclined to blame the cheap instrument instead of my playing. :))

Disclaimer: Years ago I had a fair number of good-quality instruments, the kind where you just play *one* note and let the note ring while listening to all the ethereal beautiful overtones, and it's "ahhhh, that's *so* beautiful..." Those kinds of instruments are rewarding in their own way, and they're ok if you don't mind the upkeep (worry about humidity, temperature, theft, damage, etc). I didn't have to give up anything to acquire those instruments because (1) good-quality old instruments cost very little back then (even after factoring in inflation) since collecting vintage stuff hadn't become fashionable so the prices hadn't run into the stratosphere, and (2) I had an average-paying so-called blue-collar job which at that time was sufficient income to buy an occasional treat (such as another musical instrument) once in a while. Not an option anymore though so I get by ok with the cheap stuff.

Beanzy
Jan-24-2017, 6:08am
Going on holidays. Impossible to justify the expense when I could save up the money towards my next instrument.

darrylicshon
Jan-24-2017, 6:14am
I've sold lots of other items to pay for my mandolins even some guitars and i have just started selling a few of my mandolins to but 2 more mandolins,

Freddyfingers
Jan-24-2017, 6:57am
Yes yes, and yes. And not just for mandolins.

BrianWilliam
Jan-24-2017, 8:32am
Multiple guitars, basses, and amps for both.

Br1ck
Jan-24-2017, 1:06pm
I have given up my bank account.

Denny Gies
Jan-24-2017, 1:16pm
A tad off point but my MAS got cured back in 1993 when I was fortunate enough that my wife let me get a Randy Wood F 5.

Loubrava
Jan-24-2017, 1:34pm
Yep, sold an friend I won from a music store about 30 years ago Me and that Guitar had been through a lot. Sold it to buy my Weber Bitterroot & am real happy with that deal. Sad to see it go almost backed out of the sale. But nothing lasts forever just ask my ex wife !

Marty Jacobson
Jan-24-2017, 1:40pm
I think a lot of people consider it profligate to spend $30,000 on a mandolin.
And then they go and spend $45,000 on a truck which will depreciate to $2,000 in less than ten years.
So who's the real dummy?
:-)

derbex
Jan-24-2017, 1:53pm
Telling the truth to the wife -fortunately one black case looks much like another!

Steve VandeWater
Jan-24-2017, 2:28pm
I used to fish a lot in my spare time. I live on a reservoir and have a small boat. Because playing is what gives me the most joy, I have not fished in over two years and the boat has seen the water just once during that time. I think it's time to sell her.

dhergert
Jan-24-2017, 7:54pm
I've given up wealth, wisdom and beauty.

But wait, I didn't have any of those before I got into mandolins -- I also play the banjo.

F-2 Dave
Jan-24-2017, 8:53pm
Traded a really nice Sullivan Bardstown banjo for my Collings mandolin. Never looked back.

Mark Gunter
Jan-24-2017, 8:55pm
I'd gladly sacrifice my banjo - if I had one ;)

Trav'linmando
Jan-25-2017, 12:06am
I sold my Harley for my Ellis, so ...yeah.

I would have to think real hard to sell the Harley. But I could afford to buy a couple of really nice mandolins, or an OM and .......
better not go there.

colorado_al
Jan-25-2017, 11:11pm
I sold a sweet Taylor dreadnought guitar that I owned for 20 years. Bought a Kentucky KM-1050, and Eastman MD-505 with the money.

JeffD
Jan-26-2017, 3:25pm
I gave up the expenses and costs of whatever other all consuming passion would have filled up my life were it not for the mandolin and music. Among the top contenders - amateur radio and fly fishing.

The real question is the time. What activities do I give up in order to be able to get behind that mandolin just about every single day. I think the single most time consuming activity I gave up is watching television. I didn't give up television in order to play mandolin directly, just that I decided long ago to get rid of it and I use the time for other things, mandolinning predominantly.

Mandolinning cuts into my fishing time, and has all but obliterated by amateur radio activities. So those are the things I would likely be expending my resources on - my money and my time.

GreenMTBoy
Jan-26-2017, 3:29pm
I tried to sell a couple guitars to buy my last mandolin ,really I did ,I cant help it if nobody bought them !

allenhopkins
Jan-26-2017, 3:38pm
Not really. One of the reasons I get up off the La-Z-Boy 200 times a year, and head out to a seniors' residence, coffeehouse, historical society, school, local festival, etc., etc., is to make $$$ to spend on instruments. My "second career," avocation, paying hobby -- call it what you will -- finances my instrument acquisitions.

In the relatively distant past, buying from a local dealer (Stutzman's) who would only sell you a Gibson mandolin if you traded in a Gibson mandolin, I traded in an A-1 on an F-2, and later the F-2 on my current 1950's F-5. Otherwise I woulda kept the F-2 for sure, and maybe the A-1 since it came down in my family. Now, with quality mandolins much more generally available, I don't know anyone who has a requirement like that.

BrianWilliam
Jan-26-2017, 4:24pm
Well said, Jeff. I don't miss the TV I used to watch. I still squeeze in some Netflix/prime when my insomnia takes over.

Rush Burkhardt
Jan-26-2017, 4:35pm
Gave up a pretty good wife about 50 years ago; still have the mandolin!
:popcorn:

JH Murray
Jan-26-2017, 4:36pm
i sold off a bunch of old coins I had inherited. They were sitting in a sock in a drawer. They had belonged to my grandfather. I didn't feel bad about letting the coins go because the first mandolin I ever had is my grandfather's banjolin. It's now a wall hanger. I blame all this on grandpa!

NewKid
Jan-26-2017, 7:30pm
Golf, travel, ukuleles, and new clothing.

Elliot Luber
Jan-26-2017, 7:35pm
A tad off point but my MAS got cured back in 1993 when I was fortunate enough that my wife let me get a Randy Wood F 5.
-- TWO keepers!

ollaimh
Jan-29-2017, 8:45pm
just girlfriends, guitars, and sanity