PDA

View Full Version : Will play for bread...  really!

PhilGE
Jun-04-2005, 4:22pm
So, there I was, playing mandolin and octave mandolin for the riders at a bike-a-thon to benefit the Center for Healing and Hope (http://www.chhgoshen.org/) in Goshen, IN. The friend who organized the event came up to me and informed me that a bakery had donated way more bread than they would ever be able to use and did I want to take some home?

I told him, "Sure, why not?"

He then lead me over to the trunk of his car and pulled out a bag with at least 20 pounds of fresh herb breads, french loaves, and whole wheat loaves! All really tasty, good quality bread, too.

Talk about manna from... the trunk of a car??? What are some of your stories of non-cash payment for playing out?

-Phil

John Rosett
Jun-04-2005, 5:08pm
i do it all the time. over the past year, i've gotten $100 credit at the local barbeque shack, a "harvest share"(a big box of fresh produce once a week all through the fall), $150. credit at a great local bakery, and tickets to two differnt film festivals. i also play a gig every other week at a fancy restaurant that includes pay, tips, and a gourmet meal.
ahh, being a musician-livin' the life of indolent luxury........
john

mando bandage
Jun-04-2005, 6:10pm
We have a "hobo band" that formed for a fundraiser for an old train station restoration project. Appropriately enough, we regularly play for meals at various fundraising events. My favorite is when we play for the "ladies only" luncheon, and get to wait table too, and then chow down on the leftovers in the back of the room while the rest of the program is given. Proud, no. Dignified, yes. We have been known to crash related events, play, and then expect (and receive) food. As our guitarist says, "may we always be the most elegant of the uninvited guests."

R

glauber
Jun-04-2005, 6:48pm
I played a coffeehouse once, and got free coffee.

Jonathan Reinhardt
Jun-04-2005, 7:24pm
Just got several loaves and fresh crepes last weekend from Doris, my favorite French baker, at a local Spring Fling. Great pickup band, and a 80 + year old accordion man who was a treat. He was so pleased to join in, for better or worse, it was just plain magic!
You have to admit, the bush leagues is always an adventure.

rasa

keymandoguy
Jun-04-2005, 8:51pm
all 3 of the nursing homes we play at throw us an appreciation meal once a year & one even supplys entertainment for us. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif