PDA

View Full Version : Just got a Pomeroy two point

fromsfca
Jan-13-2017, 4:04pm
Built like a violin...haven't played it a lot yet, but out of the box, the instrument already had a voice. Seemed to emphasize the highs, but overall very balanced and if I wanted to, would be a cannon at a bluegrass jam.

I would also compliment Don on building an instrument that has a first rate fit and finish.

For a small builder (heck, for a big builder) Don makes wonderful instruments.

Anthony

Roger Moss
Jan-13-2017, 8:07pm
Pictures?

Al Trujillo
Jan-13-2017, 9:03pm
Is your new one the one he has on his website? Sounds great if it is!!

Joey Anchors
Jan-13-2017, 9:04pm
Sounds like an interesting mandolin... now post pictures please!:grin:

CarlM
Jan-13-2017, 9:34pm
It may be the lighting in their photos but I think the octaves on his webpage have the world's most perfect sunburst.

fromsfca
Jan-13-2017, 10:14pm
Here's a pic: the more I play it, the more I like it....and yes, it is the one on his site.

Besides wonderful depth of tone, it has one of the most comfortable necks I've ever played. I find the 1st position difficult, as I play jazz, I play in a lot of flat keys and getting tones from the first fret (like playing an Eb7 chord) is difficult.

fromsfca
Jan-13-2017, 10:22pm
I should add Don made a pick guard for me as well....I'm also adding an ebony arm rest ordered from Doug Edwards of Hill Country Stringworks.

If you don't know Doug's work, you should...another very fine addition to the mandolin community.

Don Grieser
Jan-13-2017, 10:23pm
Looks a lot like the Campanella Dué. I like the violin-style overhanging plates. And I have a serious weakness for 2 points. Congrats!!

fromsfca
Jan-14-2017, 7:38am
I had a Campanella Due for awhile and you're right: the construction is the same (both Don and Joe are violin makers).

The Campy had a delicate sound; clarity of tone and also an emphasis on the higher partials. However, did not have a great deal of volume....which was fine for me as I normally play mostly in duo situations (a due in a duo?)....but I didn't feel was well suited to bluegrass or larger jams....not at all the case with the Pommy.

Caleb
Jan-14-2017, 10:55am
What a beautiful mandolin!

Doug Edwards
Jan-14-2017, 11:37am
Nice! I love those two points. The first few I built were two points. That new Ebony McClung armrest will look good on it.

fromsfca
Jan-14-2017, 12:55pm
Wait until I get your armrest on it! I'll be sure to post pics

Jill McAuley
Jan-14-2017, 1:21pm
What an absolute beauty!

Russ Donahue
Jan-14-2017, 2:31pm
I'd like to see a Pomeroy "A" in the violin style. Would consider buying such a critter...

fromsfca
Jan-14-2017, 2:52pm
Reach out to Don...I'm sure would be happy to make you one -