PDA

View Full Version : Price Tradition tailpiece

Jim Hilburn
Jan-09-2004, 9:16am
Has anyone seen one of these new tailpieces? I'd like to know how well the removable cover works.

Jim Roberts
Jan-09-2004, 10:00am
Rolfe Gerhardt of Phoenix Mandolins is now using them on some of his models, I believe. #You may want to ask him, Jim.

jim simpson
Jan-09-2004, 5:53pm
I ordered and received one after seeing one illustrate on a post here a while back. I had mine engraved with "The Gibson" as it was for my F5-G. I find it a little difficult to slide on and off for string changes but I imagine this will probably become easier as it wears a little. The main issue I had was that the cover was designed to press against the string tension when put on. I ended up running the strings under the leading edge after putting on a strip of adhesive backed felt. I did email Dr. Price to clarify the proper way of stringing it up. I was informed that I was not doing it correctly and that I should not have any problem using it the way it was designed. I have actually continued to use it with the strings under the leading edge (the wrong way) and it seems to be fine that way. I also have a first generation Price on my other mandolin and I like it as well, I thought the new design was cool in that it maintains the vintage look of the tradional 2-piece but no rattles. The unique thing about the new Price is that it fits together in a key lock fashion as it is machined to a very close tolerance. If I were to design a new tailpiece, I would keep the trad look but hinge the cover at the rear so you could just swing it back to change strings without loosing the cover. A second design could be a 2-piece with the cover being held on by a magnet.

jasona
Jan-09-2004, 11:23pm
I've no idea, I'm just diluting the "Jimness" of this thread http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/blues.gif

Scotti Adams
Jan-14-2004, 6:32pm
..Im thinking of taking the plunge on one of these Traditional Tail pieces......any body else have any pros and cons about them...does it effect the sound at all?

Scotti Adams
Jan-16-2004, 9:06am
..uh..come on now...hasnt anybody else but Mr. Simpson had any experience with these?

jim simpson
Jan-16-2004, 9:10am
Scotti,
I tried to solicite feedback on this a while back with no response. Evidently it's too new! What are thinking of putting it on? I trust you'll post your revue of it should you order one.
Jim

Scotti Adams
Jan-16-2004, 9:55am
..It would be goin on my BRW....Im also thinking about changing over to nickle hardware from gold...

Givensman
Jan-16-2004, 4:31pm
Gary and I are childhood school mates and buddies. We played together in two different bands in the last 11 or 12 years and in our younger years. Gary is a heck of a musican, by the way (banjo, mandolin, guitar, bass, and whatever else). I have the very first Price prototype tailpiece on my 1983 Givens F5. I really like it. Gary and I were visiting about this thread the other day. He said folks were not putting it together properly #.... as stated above. I have no interest in Gary's product. I think you'll like his tailpiece. I, frankly, like the first ones he made.

mandolooter
Jan-16-2004, 6:20pm
I too, like the earlier ones like the one Givensman put on my mando before he sold it. I just switched it out for a black one from MandoMedic but it doesn't have Model A of Price on the front like the old one...is that one a prototype too? The ease of string changing is superb since once ya slip it into the notch it'll stay as ya mess with getting the other end wrapped.

Scotti Adams
Jan-16-2004, 6:57pm
..thats great stuff to hear...anybody else have anything to add...Im interested if the T/P done anything to the tone or volume to the your mandos....I dont want to sacrifice that.

Givensman
Jan-17-2004, 7:59am
Mandolooter, yes I put one of Gary's first tailpieces on my A model Givens that you wound up with. I'd like to have it back if you're not going to use it. E-mail me. Scotti, I think you'll see quite a bit of difference.

Scotti Adams
Jan-17-2004, 8:03am
..my mando is already..dry , woody and loud...just the way I like it...what will the changes be in your opinion?

Steve Greer
Jan-22-2004, 11:15am
I have the Price tailpiece on my Bluett Brothers F-5 that you hook the strings on blind from underneath. I find that a little hard to do so I ordered his new tailpiece and installed it. It did make string changes much easier but to me it changed the tone of my mandolin. My bandmates found the change to be a sweeter sound but to me any change was a bad thing. I am not sure what contributed to the change in tone. It could be that the new tailpiece does not retain the straight string pull over the bridge or the fact that the new tailpiece is not as heavy cast as the old. Anyway I changed it back to the old style and traded the new one to Mark Bluett for some fretwork.

Scotti Adams
Jan-22-2004, 11:19am
...hmmm.....at any rate..Im on the list to get one

mandolooter
Jan-22-2004, 11:59am
Scotti, I posted a pic of my new one from Cartwrights on the "weight" thread. #I can't really comment on the tone change since it came with one and I just switched colors from Chrome to black.

jim simpson
Jan-22-2004, 6:11pm
t73895g,
I heard that the under-the-edge hooks on the 2nd generation Price was a little tricky to string up but I'm suprised to hear that you noticed such a change in tone. Did you experience any of the difficulty I described (string tension made it hard to push down and slide on cover)?

Scotti,
My Gibson sounded great when I got it with the std. issue tailpiece. I didn't notice any change in tone when I put on the new Price. I am anxious to hear your review after you get yours!
Jim

Scotti Adams
Jan-22-2004, 8:29pm
..hey thanks guys for your help...I may get it at SPBGMA...Mr. Price is going to be there...he took my TP to the engraver today...havin it engraved with B.R.W......what else...Im really lookin forward to it and I will be sure to post my thoughts on it.

DannyB
Jan-27-2004, 1:43pm
I've been watchin this thread to see how many would comment on how the tailpiece affects the sound of a mandolin. I'm curious as I have been thinking about replacing my tailpiece on my Ratliff. Soundwise I have a good mandolin but if there's improvments that can be made no matter how subtle, I'm interested. I also have a brekke left over from my Washburn, sold the mando and still have the bridge, I'm considering..I guess in my long winded way I await comments on the tailpiece and opinions on the change in sound>>

Steve Greer
Jan-28-2004, 10:50am
Jim Simpson, Sorry this took so long to get back to you. Yes I did find it difficult to slide the cover on with the strings tuned up to proper tension. If I made the strings slack the cover would side on very easy then I would tune back up. I do better stringing the older tailpiece now that I have practice. The trick is to prepare the loops first. Make the loop wider and curl it slightly. My Bluett F-5 sounds great and I need to resist the urge to change anything on it. Steve

GBG
Jan-28-2004, 11:22am
Ken Oden is making tailpieces for sale. These are the ones that come with the Dudenbostel mandolins.

evanreilly
Jan-28-2004, 4:20pm
GBG: can you please post a link to Ken Oden's website???

garryh
Jan-28-2004, 6:40pm
Dave Smith is putting this new tailpiece on his mando's now. #I think he started using them on the last Smith Creek batch that was delivered in November. #I think it's pretty cool. If anyone is looking to buy one, I found them for sale on Janet Davis's website.

Scotti Adams
Jan-28-2004, 6:58pm
..Im getting mine right from the man himself...Gary Price

evanreilly
Jan-29-2004, 10:06am
Can someone who has a Ken Oden tailpiece post pictures of it, please?

tjg
Jan-29-2004, 10:12am
Here's a pic:

Oden tailpiece (http://www.buddyscustoms.com/dudenbostel/page13.html)

evanreilly
Jan-29-2004, 5:53pm
tnx a bunch for that link... glad it is still on the web somewhere.

GTison
Jan-30-2004, 10:20am
I wonder if on the oden tailpc. , is it difficult to remove
the string,if the strings have been on for a while
and the loop distorts around the anchor peg. It is very interesting though.