PDA

View Full Version : George Bauer Mandolin

Bill Slovin
Jan-04-2017, 9:45am
Can anyone tell from this picture what model mandolin this is. There's no label in it and the only thing I found is a faded stamp on the back of the headstock with the name Bauer on it.

Jim Garber
Jan-04-2017, 10:59am
Bauer was associated with SS Stewart and may also have had connections with Weymann (all in Philadelphia).

Attached is a page from a trade catalog from Stewart and Bauer showing some of the more upper-end models. The model 60 might be close tho the hardware is described as gold. After that, they get even fancier but also have ornamentation on the sides. Can you count the number of ribs on the bowl? That may help.

I have 17 jpeg examples of George Bauer mandolins and none are like the others. Like Martin bowlbacks I would guess that the more ornate mandolins are custom models and almost all differ from the others and also change over time. They may not match anything in the printed catalog and may be at the whim of the makers or requests of their customers.

Bill Slovin
Jan-04-2017, 3:56pm
Bauer was associated with SS Stewart and may also have had connections with Weymann (all in Philadelphia).

Attached is a page from a trade catalog from Stewart and Bauer showing some of the more upper-end models. The model 60 might be close tho the hardware is described as gold. After that, they get even fancier but also have ornamentation on the sides. Can you count the number of ribs on the bowl? That may help.

I have 17 jpeg examples of George Bauer mandolins and none are like the others. Like Martin bowlbacks I would guess that the more ornate mandolins are custom models and almost all differ from the others and also change over time. They may not match anything in the printed catalog and may be at the whim of the makers or requests of their customers.

Looks like the headstock matches the model 40, but the inlay is closer to the model 60. Jim, do you know what these mandolins typically sell for nowadays?

Jim Garber
Jan-04-2017, 6:07pm
If in perfect condition I would say like a good Washburn. VG Price Guide 2017 says $450-600 for the fancier models. That would be assuming you found someone who wants one.

brunello97
Jan-04-2017, 6:29pm
If in perfect condition I would say like a good Washburn. VG Price Guide 2017 says $450-600 for the fancier models. That would be assuming you found someone who wants one.

At that price range, my guess is that there may be a small pool of shoppers.

Mick

Jim Garber
Jan-04-2017, 9:50pm
I agree. Bowlbacks, especially American ones, don't get no respect.