PDA

View Full Version : Breedlove questions

Loubrava
Dec-26-2016, 10:13pm
Hi, I'm thinking of buying a low priced mando and installing K&K internal pick ups in it to use playing with a band. Right now I'm using a Godin A8 and it works really well in loud situations but I'd like to using a acoustic mando on certain songs. Anyway budget is around 600 for mando. and looking for some feedback on the Breedlove as it has radius fret board and 1 3/16" nut both features I like. I have a Weber Bitterroot with the same spec and love the way it plays. And wounding if the Breedlove neck shape is rounded or V shaped. I know it would make more sense to put the K&K's in the Weber but I don't want to alter that mando.
Thanks
Lou

George R. Lane
Dec-26-2016, 10:28pm
Lou,
Go with your Bitterroot. IMO the Breedlove doesn't come close to the Bitterroot in an acoustic setting. You can have a luthier reshape the neck if you like a soft V shape.

Loubrava
Dec-27-2016, 1:33pm
I really like the neck shape on the Weber the tone and the way it plays is fantastic ! It's a 2007 I like that mando so much I don't want to mess with it. I replaced a Loar 600 with the Weber no comparison in tone or playability there and I've played some of low end Eastmans, Kentuckys and feel same. The Breedlove got my attention because of the nut width, radius fret board and price I'm not expecting Weber type tone from a low priced mando but I want something similar to the Weber neck shape. How is the sound/tone of the Breedlove pac rim models ? Any input would be good, there's a music store close by that has an A model that I'm going to try and I'll assume that the F won't be much different.
Thanks

George R. Lane
Dec-27-2016, 2:26pm
Lou,
Installing an internal pickup should be an easy job for any qualified luthier. I would suggest you send it to Bruce weber and have him do the work. You can contact him at bruce@montanalutherie.com.

Loubrava
Dec-27-2016, 5:59pm
What I'm afraid of is damaging the Weber bringing it to practice/gigs I'm no pro and play in 5 piece rock/alt
band. So I can compromise on tone. My Weber is in perfect shape looks almost new I just
got it back from Bruce Weber shop, new bridge, nut and set up
done. On another note I just got back from playing a Breedlove A 00
and I was thourgly disappointed I am not buying a PAC rim Breedlove at any price.
Thanks

George R. Lane
Dec-27-2016, 6:21pm
Lou,

I would look for a used Kentucky 900 or 950 (radius fretboard). Other café members speak highly about these. The Breedloves I have heard (never played one) sounded on the tinny side and no volume. Good luck on your search.

pops1
Dec-27-2016, 7:22pm
I bought my mandolin to play, and I play it in all circumstances. It has nicks and scratches, but it is natural distressing. When I showed it to the builder a few years ago he said" I don't think some people play my mandolins, I build them to play and I can tell you play this". He was enjoying the fact that it had honest play wear. Put the pickup in your Weber and play the snot out of it, the more you play it the more you will like it, scratches and all.

Marcus CA
Dec-28-2016, 12:21am
I can't speak about the Breedlove Pac Rim models, but I had a Quartz OF, which I replaced with a Quartz FF that I still have. Both of them came with a wide nut, and the necks felt identical. I agree with George that the Weber neck has more of a V-shape than the Breedlove neck, but for me, both are very playable.

I think that your basic dilemma is that no $600 mandolin is going to sound just one notch below your Bitterroot, as your descriptions of playing Eastmans, Kentuckys, Loars, and now Breedloves indicate. If don't want to alter your Bitterroot, and your finances permit, I'd suggest looking more at the upper end of those brands, which will probably stick a 1 in front of your 6.

Another option would be looking into Jonathan Mann's hollow-body electric mandolins. They don't have the unamplified volume that most mandolins have, but they have a really nice acoustic tone that amplifies cleanly.

RichardF
Dec-28-2016, 11:04am
I sometimes get a bit fed up with Breedloves being criticised, although since I play a 2006 OF model I am biased. I've found mine to have a sweet tone, good attack and the sustain which other similarly priced instruments didn't have when I went looking. I also use a Fishman M200 which is a good stage pick up against a moderately loud band. It seems to be a case of buying what suits you, playing in time and in tune and trying to entertain. Whatever you choose trust your ears and go for it!

pops1
Dec-28-2016, 11:49am
I sometimes get a bit fed up with Breedloves being criticised, although since I play a 2006 OF model I am biased. I've found mine to have a sweet tone, good attack and the sustain which other similarly priced instruments didn't have when I went looking. I also use a Fishman M200 which is a good stage pick up against a moderately loud band. It seems to be a case of buying what suits you, playing in time and in tune and trying to entertain. Whatever you choose trust your ears and go for it!

I think the criticism was for the new Chinese Breedloves. I also have a U.S. made Breedlove KO Quartz from 2006 and it is a very nice mandolin. I do not care as much for the wider neck however and may consider letting it go for that reason alone. They have a nice sound with very nice sustain, X bracing and simple adornments.

Loubrava
Dec-29-2016, 3:30pm
Thanks for comments all good sugestions & marcus1 your right on about putting a 1 in front of the 600. I'm taking a step back now
and going to stick with the A8. A few things I need to learn is if the K&K set up sounds like a miked mando or will it sound like the A8 ? I would hate to go down this road only to find little or no improvement over the A8. The other thing is what the Weber will sound like miked up &
played through my Fishman loud box or the PA and compare that to the A8 and and at least get an idea of what the options
really are.
Lou

pops1
Dec-29-2016, 3:58pm
I get a very nice acoustic sound from my K&K system. I know it can't sound like a mic, but it has sound representing the sound of my mandolin that is specific to my mandolin and at the volume I play doesn't feedback at all. It sounds good enough that last time I used a mic I felt it was too much work for a extremely minimal difference in sound. You could always use both and keep the mic out of the monitor. If you are playing loud with a transducer I would not recommend using a tone guard, let the back rest against your body, it will help with feedback.

Br1ck
Dec-31-2016, 1:40pm
Id get one of the clip on mics and a GoRack, use your Weber a couple of times to see if it is a useable volume in your context. If it is, look for a high quality mandolin someone else has beaten up for you if you just can't stand to do that to your Weber. You'll need a phantom power supply.

Many of my instruments are far past worrying about. I have a 65 Epiphone Texan that has about five gashes in the top that look decades old. I put the sixth on, and you can mix fine house dirt with olive oil to darken up the new gash to blend with the old.

Bill Kammerzell
Dec-31-2016, 2:29pm

I had a 2014 OF and it was an outstanding mandolin. Made in Bend, Oregon. Signed by Kim Breedlove. Loudest mandolin I had for quite a while. It was moderately priced and under $1000.00 dollars. Great sustain and balance. It carried well under any and all circumstances. Dull sort of finish and it had a rich tone. Sold it a short time ago after I purchased a Weber River and had a Silverangel on order. Got very close to what I paid for it and the guy who purchased it loves it. Truthfully I liked the tone of it better than any Eastman I played. Night and day compared to a MD 515 I owned.

Caleb
Dec-31-2016, 3:07pm
My wife owns a Breedlove A-style, purchased here in the Classifieds. It's an older USA model signed by Kim. Fat neck, huge sound, great instrument.

Loubrava
Jan-01-2017, 11:07am
Id get one of the clip on mics and a GoRack, use your Weber a couple of times to see if it is a useable volume in your context. If it is, look for a high quality mandolin someone else has beaten up for you if you just can't stand to do that to your Weber. You'll need a phantom power supply.

Many of my instruments are far past worrying about. I have a 65 Epiphone Texan that has about five gashes in the top that look decades old. I put the sixth on, and you can mix fine house dirt with olive oil to darken up the new gash to blend with the old.

I played the Weber using a SM58 through the PA & through the Fishman loud box yesterday at rehearsal and really liked the sound. We weren't playing loud and I was surprised that there wasn't much problem with feedback I know when the volume goes up that set up won't work. What I like best is how the Weber plays compared to the A8 for some reason I play better on the Weber maybe because I play it a lot more than the A8 the only time the A8 gets used is with the band and thats 2-3 times a month. So I'm going to keep looking a decent mando that I can install the K&K in. Oh and I'm not spreading any Olive Oil or dirt on the Weber anytime soon !
Lou

Bill Cameron
Jan-01-2017, 11:25am
You might want to try a few condenser mikes--maybe you can rent-to-try different ones for your next few gigs since its all about the live band performance experience. I usually use a Shure SM137 rather than a pickup in a band setup. (I always set the 137 to the -15db pad setting, and use without a windscreen.)

Or to try a high-quality pickup that is not internally installed, see if you can borrow a Schertler Dyn-M contact p/u--might be just the thing to use with your precious Weber or whatever other instrument you want to gig with.

pops1
Jan-01-2017, 11:34am
The K&K in your Weber won't change the acoustic sound, and should allow you to play loud enough and enjoy playing the mandolin you like playing. I have a hard time playing anything but my Brentrup. I put a K&K in it and it is my mandolin for everything. There is no other mandolin I enjoy playing as much and it does show, but the joy I have playing all the time is worth the distressing.

Jim
Jan-01-2017, 2:04pm
I would stick with the Godin, A system like KK in your Weber works great ,but you're still taking your "good/expensive" mandolin into a risky environment and , though KKs are good, it still won't sound like it does acoustically. If that bothers you don't, you won't play as well for the worry or the sound. If stage volume is LOUD then the A8 is a fine choice assuming the action and setup fit your playing. If not ,Find a mid to low priced Mandolin that feels the way you like and put a pickup in it. Something with a thick top and heavy bracing and a thin acoustic sound can actually sound pretty good with a piezo sound board pickup.

DHopkins
Jan-02-2017, 11:49pm
I have two Breedloves: Quartz FF with a Schertler pickup and a Legacy FF with a K&K pickup. Both were made in Bend, OR, and were signed by Kim Breedlove. I have nothing but good things to say about both. The tone is excellent and clear and the workmanship is impeccable. Both are easy to play. I use the Legacy as my main mandolin and the Quartz is the backup.