PDA

View Full Version : How to approach 'Dear Old Dixie'

Paahto
Dec-25-2016, 12:29pm
Hi all,

Just looking for some advice regarding the old Flatt & Scrugg's recorded tune 'Dear Old Dixie'. Been trying to work it out for mandolin and also referenced Bela Fleck's recording on "Crossing the Tracks". Some phrases are easy enough to pick up but many of them are elongated banjo-roll type phrases and I'm not entirely sure if I should just fill in some line that suits the phrase or if there is a main melody line I'm missing. Tabs or sheet music would certainly be helpful but I've found it hard to follow what I've found so far. The best point in the right direction comes from a video of Zayn Skinner playing an incredible version of it on youtube.

Any help appreciated. And Merry Christmas to all!

woodwizard
Dec-25-2016, 10:10pm
I have used the tab of Dear Old Dixie from mandozine to get me started.

Willie Poole
Dec-26-2016, 12:14pm
Many years ago I had a recording of Mac Wiseman singing a song called "Crazy Blues" and found it to be the exact same tune as "Dear Old Dixie", that is how I learned the song...I have always found it much easier to learn a song that had lyrics than one without...I have no idea where you might get a copy of Mac singing the song, maybe Google it and see what comes up...But if you are looking for a way to start the song I just use a four note run in from the B note to the D note if playing in the key of G...I`m not sure what you meant by "approach' to the song...For me the tune was easy to learn once I heard and got the words...

Willie

Willie Poole
Dec-26-2016, 12:20pm
I just did a search on Google and found the recording of Mac, type in "Crazy Blues/Mac Wiseman" and the first thing that comes up will be the record...

Good luck..

Willie

Paahto
Dec-26-2016, 1:15pm
Thanks woodwizard and Willie. That Mac Wiseman recording has opened the door for me and now it's handy work from here. I agree that when a tune is based on a song it is easier to pick up. Fiddle tunes are handy too because most have an identical structure to Irish and Scottish tunes. But banjo tunes can be difficult to pick out the solid melody line - perhaps I just need to listen more regularly to banjo players.

Thanks again.

Denny Gies
Dec-26-2016, 1:54pm
I, somehow, learned David Grisman's version and if I could do it it can't be that tough. Good luck. I think his version is on Early Dawg.

farmerjones
Dec-26-2016, 8:21pm
All i know is i start playing Bully of the Town, then i veer off. :)

farmerjones
Dec-27-2016, 9:13am
. . .. and it ends like, "Bill Bailey will you please come home." :)

In a jam, you might not get everybody on board for the stops.

Goood tooooon.

allenhopkins
Dec-28-2016, 4:31pm
Approach it from downwind, so your scent don't spook it.

Paahto
Dec-28-2016, 7:31pm
Yeah, I noticed those similarities with Bill Bailey! :-P

Will check out Dawg's version - thanks for the encouragement.

woodwizard
Jan-01-2017, 9:39pm
Thanks woodwizard and Willie. That Mac Wiseman recording has opened the door for me and now it's handy work from here. I agree that when a tune is based on a song it is easier to pick up. Fiddle tunes are handy too because most have an identical structure to Irish and Scottish tunes. But banjo tunes can be difficult to pick out the solid melody line - perhaps I just need to listen more regularly to banjo players.

Thanks again.
Here's a rough attempt at it from sourcing the mandozine tab

Willie Poole
Jan-02-2017, 12:15pm
Way more notes than needed, Just stick to the real melody and it is a great song...Also played a slight bit faster....

Willie