PDA

View Full Version : Whiskey before breakfast

MarvinFowler
Jun-02-2005, 7:51am
Anyone know where I can find a copy of whiskey before breakfast to listen to?

Eric F.
Jun-02-2005, 8:30am
You could start with Norman Blake's great album "Whiskey Before Breakfast."

Don Christy
Jun-02-2005, 8:31am
I've got a nice version by The Meat Purveyors out of Austin TX. It's not on any of their main releases but available on a CD that you can only buy at their shows.

There are a number (at least 18) of versions played by members of the cafe's song project that you can find here:

Mandolin Project (http://www.mandolinproject.150m.com/)

I think this version (http://www.mandolinproject.150m.com/wbb/ken123332000.mp3) is particularly nice.

Don

swampstomper
Jun-02-2005, 8:32am
Bobby Hicks "Fiddle Patch" Rounder CD 0416 track 10, mando by Ronnie McCoury.

Available from County Sales etc. and probably the Apple on-line music store (for the single track).

swampstomper
Jun-02-2005, 9:00am
Here are all the versions available on the Apple on-line store.
I'd say you have quit a choice!

Whiskey Before Breakfast 3:14 Bobby Hicks Fiddle Patch $0.99
Whiskey Before Breakfast 2:33 Charlene Helen Berry Dulcimer Americana $0.99
Whiskey Before Breakfast 2:24 Dakota Dave Hull Hull's Victory $0.99
Whiskey Before Breakfast 2:57 Hickory Project Polaris $0.99
Whiskey Before Breakfast 2:55 John Balch with Jack Pearson ~HOT~ Biscuit Jam $0.99
Whiskey Before Breakfast 1:28 Jon Kay A Night At the Grind $0.99
Whiskey Before Breakfast 2:30 Lolly Cross Penny Whistle Fun $0.99
Whiskey Before Breakfast 1:51 Pete Wernick Dr. Banjo Steps Out $0.99
Whiskey Before Breakfast 2:49 Phil Passen/Tom Conway Swinging On a Gate $0.99
Whiskey Before Breakfast 2:20 Sam Rizzetta Trapezoid $0.99
Whiskey Before Breakfast 2:05 Tony Eyers Black Mountain Harmonica $0.99
Whiskey Before Breakfast 3:28 Toucan Pirates Sea Changes of the Toucan Pirates $0.99
Whiskey Before Breakfast 2:51 Woodpickers An Evening In the Smokies $0.99
Whiskey Before Breakfast / Over the Waterfall 3:51 Leftover Salmon Bridges to Bert $0.99
Whiskey Before Breakfast/Drowsy Maggie 2:39 James Thurgood Handy Little Rig $0.99
Whiskey Before Breakfast/Flowers of Edinburgh/Fingal's Cave 3:35 Fiddlers 3 Fiddlers 3 $0.99
Whiskey Before Breakfast/Liberty 3:07 Steve and Ruth Smith An Appalachian Aire $0.99

craigtoo
Jun-02-2005, 9:06am
The Café's own Dan Beimborn recorded a version on Shatter the Calm.

craig

MarvinFowler
Jun-02-2005, 9:46am
thank you all very much for the help, as I suspected, I'm playing it all wrong, inflection wise.

AlanN
Jun-02-2005, 9:54am
A nice little variation I saw once was on the A part, instead of running up the D string 0,2,4,5 to open A string, do this: open D, then 9th fret on the G string, then 4,5 on the D string to open A. It allows a little ringing to occur.

swampstomper
Jun-02-2005, 10:10am
Yep, that's the Bobby Thompson - Bill Keith "chromatic" approach applied to mando. The b***oist will play G - A - B - C - D - E as open G, D string 7th fret, open B, G string 5th fret, open D, B string 5th fret. Really typical in Keith tunes.

PaulD
Jun-02-2005, 10:51am
I'm surprised not to see my favorite version listed: Blake & Rice (http://www.tonyrice.com/cdcat/trcd10.html) medley with Fiddler's Dream (a great tune that nobody around here seems to play). The B part on their version is really interesting, and Blake's rhythm behind Rice's guitar is very subtle and tasteful; I get distracted by Tony's guitar, but I think Blake hangs on the D chord and lets it ring rather that chunking through the progression.

pd

Pen
Jun-02-2005, 11:01am
I plan on enjoying a shot of Wild Turkey prior to my breakfast each morning at Telluride BG Festival. Then will play this fun song to greet the morn. Anyone interested in joining me for some early picking - I'll be in Town Park.

JGWoods
Jun-02-2005, 3:50pm
Whisky Before Breakfast- politically correct title variation= Spirits in the Morning http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

what rubbish
jgwoods

swampstomper
Jun-03-2005, 1:14am
I have a related q. on this tune -- I've heard somewhere (internet radio?) a version with lyrics by (IIRC) a new fogies type group (new-age Skillet Lickers) -- but I only heard it once so can't be sure. The chorus starts "Lord help us and protect us, we've been having Whiskey before Breakfast..." and then the twin fiddles finish up the chorus. I think (not sure) there were verses also (to the A part). The whole thing was pretty catchy (the tune itself is one of the catchiest old-time tunes I can think of).

Can anyone enlighten me --

-- about this version
-- about whether this song has "official" lyrics going way back?

Thanks!

Jim M.
Jun-03-2005, 10:18am
Here are the lyrics I know and have heard, I got these from mudcat.org :

WHISKEY BEFORE BREAKFAST

Early one morning 'fore the sun could shine
I was walkin' dow@ the street, not feelin' so fine
I saw two old men with a bottle between' em
And this is the song that I heard them singin'

cho: Lord protect us, Saints preserve us
We been drinkin' whiskey 'fore breakfast

I passed by the steps where they were a' sittin'
I couldn't believe how drunk they were gettin'
I said "Old men you been drinkn' long?"
"Long enough to be singin' this song"

They handed me a bottle, said, "Take a little sip"
And it felt so good, I just couldn't quit
So I took a little more, next thing I knew
There were three of us sittin' there singin' this tune

One by one everybody in town
Heard our ruckus and they all came down
Pretty soon all the streets were a-ringin'
With the sound of the whole town laughin' and singin'

It's not a very old song. Here's some history from The Fiddler's Companion, http://www.ceolas.org/tunes/fc/
a great resource for more than you wanted to know about tunes. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

WHISKEY BEFORE BREAKFAST. AKA and see "Spirits of the Morning." Canadian (originally), Old-Time; Breakdown. D Major. Standard. AABB. A widely known tune, often mistaken for an old traditional old-time tune (it was even listed on one album as "an Irish tune which has been popular in America for a number of years"). It has generally been credited to the mid-twentieth century by Manitoba, Canada, fiddler and composer Andy de Jarlis (known for his fine waltzes) probably on the strength of his copyrighted arrangement (it is a common practice among music publishers to copyright arrangements of traditional tunes). " "Whiskey Before Breakfast" was included in de Jarlis' book Canadian Fiddle Tunes from Red River Valley (1957), where he is credited for the arrangement only. It is often used as musical accompaniment for the quadrille 'Reel of Eight' in Canada. Gibbons (1982) notes that "Whiskey" is a favorite of Metis (native American) dance troupes in Western Canada, and in this connection Paul Gifford suggests that de Jarlis learned the tune from Metis fiddler Teddy Boy Houle's father (de Jarlis himself had Metis blood). It seems that de Jarlis and the elder Houle were up playing till dawn with the aid of libation before finally passing out. On finally awaking, de Jarlis remembered the last tune they played and perhaps gave it the "Whiskey" name. Perlman (1979) identifies it as coming from Canada's Maritime provinces where it is called "Spirits of the Morning." It has been pointed out by several sources that the 'A' section is similar to the older melodies "Liverpool Hornpipe," "Great Eastern," "Bennett's Favorite" and the Irish reels "Silver Spire" and "Greenfields of America," however, the original source for all these tunes may be "Speed the Plow." Folksinger/multiinstrumentalist Mike Cross wrote words to the melody which have become popular in Bluegrass circles (Bryan Bowers also recorded his song). Sources for notated versions: Frank Lowery (Prince Georges, British Columbia) [Gibbon]; Clem Myers [Phillips]; Dick Barrett [Phillips]. Brody (Fiddler's Fakebook), 1983; pg. 290. Frets Magazine, April 1989; pg. 64. Gibbons (As It Comes: Folk Fiddling From Prince George, British Columbia), 1982; No. 3, pgs. 14-15 (includes variations). Phillips (Traditional American Fiddle Tunes), Vol. 1, 1994; pgs. 254-255 (two versions). Sing Out!, 198-, pg. 75. Spandaro (10 Cents a Dance), 1980; pg. 20. American Heritage 19A, Loyd Wanzer- "Plain and Fancy Fiddlin.'" Bay 204, "The Arkansas Sheiks." Fretless 103, "Clem Myers: Northeast Regional Fiddle Champion 1967 & 1970." June Appal 003, John McCutcheon - "How Can I Keep From Singing?" (1975. Learned from Ben Hensley, Speedwell, Tenn.). London EBX 4118, Andy DeJarlis - "Backwoods Fiddle Tunes.' Marimac 9017, Vesta Johnson (Mo.) - "Down Home Rag." Missouri State Old Time Fiddlers Association 002, Taylor McBaine (Mo.) - "Boone County Fiddler." Revonah RE-924, "The West Orrtanna String Band" (1977). Rounder 0063, Norman Blake- "Whiskey Before Breakfast." Voyager 304, Dick Barrett- "More Fiddle Jam Sessions."

PaulD
Jun-03-2005, 10:42am
Jim,
Thanks for the tidbit of history. I knew the lyrics were Mike Cross' and fairly recent, but I always thought it was an older fiddle tune too. It's interesting to me how many of these tunes are "variations" on other tunes. It makes sense since many are handed down by ear or at festivals and sessions rather than having been written, copyrighted, and recorded in their early existence as are most modern tunes.

Paul Doubek

Greg H.
Jun-03-2005, 11:29am
Another great version worth checking out is Johnny Staats' off of "Pickin' Up Steam". He does it as part of a medley with Arkansas Traveller and Solder's Joy.

Michael H Geimer
Jun-03-2005, 12:10pm
Thanks for the lyrics! I was hoping they'd show up in this thread. I've heard them sung before, but this is the first time I've seen them in print. (Now I can learn to sing 'em too)

- Benig

Jim Yates
Jun-03-2005, 1:10pm
Mike Cross changed the title to Whiskey For Breakfast. The way Mike sings this song, the chorus takes up the first half of the B part and the second half is played on the fiddle (mandolin, guitar, banjo,...). Mike's chorus is a little different from Jim M.'s. Jim M.'ss scans just as well, but Mike's rhymes a little better:

Lord preserve us and protect us
We've been drinkin' whiskey for breakfast

swampstomper
Jun-04-2005, 5:03am
Blep,

Yeah, that's the version I heard (Mike Cross). Many thanks to Jim M. for posting the lyrics and history. I ask a simple question and get a great answer! Thanks mandodudes!

banjoman0254
Jun-05-2005, 10:53am
The best mandolin version is on Bluegrass '95. Adam Steffey plays the majority of the mandolin on that CD.