PDA

View Full Version : Ah, where to begin?

BSherm
Mar-06-2004, 8:19pm
I have just finished reading a lengthy and fascinating thread that ran from Jan. into Feb. on F style mandolins under $1k. It was a great read that featured some rather testy but well spoken thoughts. My problem though is that as I take up the mandolin (I will actually be renting my first instrument starting this week)I need advice on reliable brands/models under $300. I know this range severely limits me but as I expect to take to the mandolin quite quickly my budget sadly will not be in the same ballpark as my desire to play. So even though some posts state that there is NOTHING worth buying under a grand I cannot let that deter me from starting now. I expect that I will be playing mostly bluegrass/folk but I am a "classic" rock guitarist and hope to blend the mandolin into some of that as well. All comments are welcome. Bob http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

John Flynn
Mar-06-2004, 9:18pm
I would never say there is nothing worth buying under any amount. I learned on an instrument in your price range and it served me well.

Just MHO, but if I were in looking in your budget range, this is what I would do: I would buy a Kentucky 150S for under $200 from a place that has a 100% money back guarantee. I would take that 150S to an experienced mandolin luthier and have him look at it. If it had any fatal flaws, I would send it back. If it was serviceable, I would have that luthier do a complete set up and put a good set of strings on it for about $90. I would wind up with the best playing and sounding axe possible for under $300. Good luck to you on it.

jasona
Mar-06-2004, 9:18pm
Kentucky all solid wood mandolins are great at that price point.

J. Mark Lane
Mar-06-2004, 9:46pm
I started on a (Korean made) Kentucky 150s, and it was good enough. #But they are now being made in China, and I have read quite a few bad reports (just do a search here, for starters). #Still, you might get a decent one. #(You might not. #And you might not know the difference... and neither may Your Local Luthier.) #

If I were you, I would email Dale Cater, who participates in this group, and ask him what he has. #There's a man you know you can trust. #There are a couple of others here who might help, too. #Ken Cartwright, Maverick Hurley....

If not those, I'd contact Elderly Instruments (just check out the links on the Cafe's front page). #Call them. #Talk to them. #Ask them to be straight with you about what they have (pick out one or two from the website to ask about). #.... I just looked and there's several used Kentucky's on their site now, including a KM 380s for $275 (might be a Korean model, somewhat more reliable than the Chinese models, I am told). #

You will outgrow the Kentucky (or whatever) fast, but will be able to resell it (here) very easily for close to what you paid for it, maybe more. #

Good luck.

Mark

jasona
Mar-07-2004, 2:21am
I started on a (Korean made) Kentucky 150s, and it was good enough. #But they are now being made in China, and I have read quite a few bad reports (just do a search here, for starters). #Still, you might get a decent one. #
Quality is uneven from China, but I got a good one. Even got flamed maple back! I've also seen them with thumbprints in the finish. Still, its a good deal when properly set up.

Jaded
Mar-07-2004, 2:39am
There was a guy at a jam I go to that had one of the chinese made kentucky 150s and it was a very nice sounding mandolin for that price range. He did do a lot of setup work on it however.

Dioptase
Mar-07-2004, 3:10am
There was recently a Mid Missouri in the classifieds for 300$. That's probably your best bet. If it's sold, I'd wait on another to come around.
Micah

Greenmando
Mar-07-2004, 3:44am
I have a great MM-30E for sale. I will be relisting it tomorrow. Well within your price range.

BSherm
Mar-07-2004, 10:12am
Thank you all for your input. Can anyone tell me when Kentucky started farming their low end work out to China? No offence to the Chinese but the 150S sounds like a good recomendation if I can find a used one made here. It'll be a long time til I have the ear or the eye to pick out a good mandolin myself. I'm still wide open to other thoughts and suggestions though. Keep em coming! Bob

Bob DeVellis
Mar-07-2004, 10:26am
Unless you're living in Korea or Japan, a Kentucky "made here" isn't going to happen. Although the name certainly implies a US origin, they were originally made in Japan and imported by Saga Musical Instruments in San Francisco. As Japanese costs escalated,they moved to Korea and then to China. The consensus is that average quality and consistency declined with each move. The Japanese ones were really very decent. Finishes got heavier and attention to detail, scarcer over time. But there are still some pretty good ones out there and some of the problems can e cured with a good set-up. The heavy finish muffles volume and affects tone but as a beginner, your first concern (IMHO) should be playability. Having had both, I think a Mid-Missouri is a better starter instrument than a Kentucky, although the Mid-Mo has no bluegrass cool going for it. The Kentucky, with its f-hole and arched-top design, is closer to a bluegrass instrument. But the Mid-Mo will more likely be the better crafted, more reliable, instrument and will play well from the get-go. If you decide to go with a Kentucky, have someone check it out for you, as others have wisely suggested.

BSherm
Mar-07-2004, 11:24am
To you Mid-Missouri proponants...which model(s) should I be on the lookout for? Bob

J. Mark Lane
Mar-07-2004, 12:00pm
Just my opinion, but if you are interested in bluegrass a Mid-Mo will not suit you. Key to the bluegrass sound is that "chop" you get with closed pattern chords. An oval hole, flat top mandolin will simply not make that sound.

8ch(pl)
Mar-07-2004, 4:28pm
Probably the Maple M-2 or the Walnut M-3 would be the best all around in the Mid Missouri. Both are higher in price than the Mahogany ones and lower than the Rosewood M-4. $300 US is usually a bit too low for second hand Mid Missouris.

You could look into Don Kawalek's kit. It is designed to go together easily and he will help you out by email. Another consideration is a Parsons flat top. A second hand Flatiron flat top is also close to that money, if you can find one.

fatt-dad
Mar-07-2004, 10:50pm
I have several solid wood mandolins for sale that are under $300.00. One is a Japanese KM-180S and the other is a Korean KM-160S. I also have an Ibanez (solid top), but it has an adjustible truss rod. All of these are under $250.00 and other than return shipping (on your dime) returnable. Send me an email if interested.

fatt-dad
www.fatt-dad.com
fatt-dad@richmond.com