PDA

View Full Version : What do you consider to to be the best recorded mandolin tone?

Shelby Eicher
Dec-22-2016, 4:27am
I have several that I consider to be top mandolin recordings. The player, mic, preamp all play big rolls. What are your top recorded mandolin recordings. I'm not interested in style, type of music, what you like, genre, etc. What is the best recorded mandolin sound? It all about tone.

jmagill
Dec-22-2016, 6:03am
1. John Reischman's Loar on his CD, Road Trip with John Miller.
2. Mike Marshall's Loar on his CD, Into the Cauldron with Chris Thile.

1. For an oval-hole sound, Robin Bullock's 1921 A-model on his new CD of Bach Cello Suites transcribed for mandolin.

roberto
Dec-22-2016, 6:15am
McCoury on Noam plays Kenny plays Bill

Atlanta Mando Mike
Dec-22-2016, 6:39am
Grisman on Garcia/Grisman
Flinner on Lattitude and Traveling Roots
Steffey on AKUS So Long, So Wrong and Grateful

mcgroup53
Dec-22-2016, 7:01am
Reischman on The North Shore on Up In The Woods. Hell, all of UITW. Hell more, anything John's ever recorded. The master of tone, taste and timing.

Mandoplumb
Dec-22-2016, 7:43am
Dempsey Young's Hutto on anything he recorded.

Denny Gies
Dec-22-2016, 7:52am
Anyone who plays better than I do, and that's a bunch of folks.

Tobin
Dec-22-2016, 8:02am
I have to agree that Reischman's tone is top-notch. How much of it is his Loar versus his particular style of playing, I dunno. But he always sounds great.

It's really difficult to judge tone as a stand-alone concept. It is very contextual, and depends on the tune being played, the player's technique, the recording equipment, the room acoustics, and a million other factors. Sometimes even the best Loar will sound like a dog (not to be confused with a Dawg) if it's in the wrong hands, playing music that's not well-suited to it, and with bad acoustics. All the stars have to align for the really good tone to come out and be heard.

Here's one recording that I think captures some wonderful mandolin tone. While he is not usually mentioned here as one of the top favorites for mandolin tone, I think this particular recording brings out some very nice traditional tone goodness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEinHMd4dKw

Steve Roberts
Dec-22-2016, 8:26am
Tony Williamson's Lloyd Loar Mandolins CD. He plays 13 Loars and Ferns, all except Dawg's Crusher recorded under identical conditions with new EXP74 strings. Very interesting to hear the sound differences-

http://www.mandolincentral.com/lloyd-loar-cd/

NFI.

FLATROCK HILL
Dec-22-2016, 9:13am
The Reischman stuff that's already been mentioned is fantastic. One of my favorite moments in a mandolin recording though, is Butch Baldassari doing 'My Last Days on Earth'. The talent, the tone, the whole aura of a live performance. That has it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFolwEpA2-U

Fretbear
Dec-22-2016, 9:27am
Two from very different places and times.

Ronnie McCoury on (all the cuts on) "The Mountain"

The Boss on "Master of Bluegrass"

I was always delighted that Bill cut that album when he did, as if to say:

"Yes, there has been a lot of water under the bridge, and there are an uncountable number of Bluegrass mandolin players (all inspired by me) but NO ONE can touch me on MY chosen instrument playing MY music in MY style....."

Very Bill........

AlanN
Dec-22-2016, 9:54am
Dempsey Young's Hutto on anything he recorded.

+1

particularly the tune Sawmill Road off January Rain...thick and chewy.

JeffD
Dec-22-2016, 9:57am
Any such list that does not include Avi Avital or Jacob Reuven and that Kerman mandolin, is just "no part of nuthin".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beq7ZqXLvUE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_hTMelx8vo

What I go for is consistent great tone across the board - in high notes, low notes, loud playing, soft playing, long notes, short notes.

fentonjames
Dec-22-2016, 9:58am
Wow, so many. I'm partial to Sam Bush and David Grisman. Pretty much every thing they've done has been awesome. If I had to pick one, it would be this, based on variety of material and the use of historical instruments.

AlanN
Dec-22-2016, 10:04am
This, I fear, is going to run the risk of 'my fave picker/recording is..."; but so it goes.

Another tone bone has to be some of the Wakefield stuff on The Kitchen Tapes; some of that picking just resonates so well off the coffee maker and linoleum flooring.

UsuallyPickin
Dec-22-2016, 10:22am
Tone likes and dislikes are, after all, a matter of taste. The Grisman Rice recording Tone Poems is an excellent work to compare instruments in the hands of a master player. John Reischman can certainly get the best out of his instrument as can Mike Marshall. Sam Bush with an, IMO, different approach and tone rings Hoss like a bell. Ronnie McCoury does an excellent job on Noam Pikelny Plays Kenny Baker Plays Bill Monroe. I would like to add Jethro Burns on " Playing it Straight". Adding his apprentice Don Stiernberg on Swing 220. Going on from here would be easy. But I won't. R/

roysboy
Dec-22-2016, 11:39am
Not to sound like I'm pandering ...but I love ALL the tones ( and the great music ) from Shelby's record 'The Eichers' and was so enamoured by the mandos I had to e-mail him to get more info . ....he replied immediately.

Any instrument Chris Thile plays seems to co-operate whole-heatedly with him in terms of dynamics. I'm always impressed by how he finds the best/right tone for what he's trying to say .

Willie Poole
Dec-22-2016, 11:44am
For me it is Dempsey`s Hutto, and a close second if Joe Walsh`s Gil A model....It don`t get any better than those two, I don`t care who or what they are playing...Now of course we all like something different..DON`T WE?

Willie

JeffD
Dec-22-2016, 11:46am
I do think we could in theory come to an agreement as to the top five or ten recordings, on the criteria that these top ten highlight the best mandolin tone and perhaps the best recording of it.

Whether this thread will do that I don't have a clue.

foldedpath
Dec-22-2016, 11:48am
Hard to single out just one example, but I'd go for the Mike Marshall and Chris Thile "Live Duets" album. Because it's live, it was recorded in a fairly basic way with (presumably) just a couple of small condenser mics, and possibly a touch of added reverb or room mic. The two instruments come across in a very honest way. And of course the instruments themselves are fabulous examples, being played by world-class musicians.

The trouble with analyzing "tone" in a recording, is that it's very common to use compression in the mix, and then some more again in the mastering phase. That can have a major impact on the sound of any acoustic instrument. This particular live recording has some compression but it's not overdone.

Jr Brown
Dec-22-2016, 11:51am
Chris Thiles's Dude!

mandroid
Dec-22-2016, 2:56pm
FWIW, I liked Evan J Marshall's Gil.. Live .. Bought a CD @ the concert ..

GuyIncognito
Dec-22-2016, 3:15pm
1. John Reischman's Loar on his CD, Road Trip with John Miller.
2. Mike Marshall's Loar on his CD, Into the Cauldron with Chris Thile.

1. For an oval-hole sound, Robin Bullock's 1921 A-model on his new CD of Bach Cello Suites transcribed for mandolin.

Is robin bullocks album out yet? I've been waiting for it but I don't see any news anywhere or where to buy a copy

jmagill
Dec-22-2016, 3:38pm
Is robin bullocks album out yet? I've been waiting for it but I don't see any news anywhere or where to buy a copy

Someone PM'd me with this question. Here was my reply:

It's only been out a few weeks, but Robin's local to me and works as one of my staff instructors at the Swannanoa Gathering, so I got an early copy.

It's in my wife's car at the moment, but I believe it's called J.S. Bach: Suites for Mandolin, Vol. 1 and contains the first three Bach cello suites.

Email him at <robinbullock@yahoo.com> and I'm sure he can get a copy to you.

Happy Holidays,
Jim

jmkatcher
Dec-22-2016, 5:32pm
I agree with Tone Poems, noting that it also makes some pretty marginal mandolins sound great too.

Jim Hilburn
Dec-22-2016, 8:11pm
I have to agree that everything Reischman records is wonderful but there are so many great recordings it's hard to say any one.
Take modern bluegrass. Grasstown, Balsam Range, Blue Highway, Blueridge, Blue Moon Rising and on and on. Whenever I hear them I'm blown away by the sound of the mandolins.

Ivan Kelsall
Dec-23-2016, 3:52am
Jim - You listed a few of my own favourite bands there & i agree,their mandolins sound terrific. Shawn Lane's 'Dearstone' is a glorious sounding mandolin.

I've always loved the tone of Chris Thile's 'Dudenbostel'. It's tone on the CD ''Nickel Creek'' is beautifully full & rounded,it's simply one of the finest mandolin tones i've heard & IMHO,superior to that of his 'Loar',
Ivan

Dagger Gordon
Dec-23-2016, 4:32am
Hard to beat the Melonious Quartet from France.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mSpQLnVhZqw

Mike Snyder
Dec-23-2016, 5:34am
Mike Black in any of the Three Bean Salad recordings. Something about playing an instrument he built himself, for himself. He is a Kansas state champion and nice guy. If you care to listen, be aware that it is the only F5 he has built, if I'm not mistaken. He once won the Ks state competition with a Black A4. Awesome tone. Tichenor gets some tone out of his Nuggett also.

guitarpath
Dec-23-2016, 7:59am
I am surprised that nobody has mentioned Dave Peters' Art in America. Great tone and remarkable playing.

fentonjames
Dec-23-2016, 11:11am
There's this too.

Great sound, but there is a lot of pick noise. (like a schlep like me can criticize the awesome playing...:-) )

Chanmandolin
Dec-23-2016, 2:21pm
Check Jim Van Cleve's "No Apologies" record. Steffey on mandolin. Some of the best music out there. And some of the best mandolin tone I've ever heard

LillianBelle
Dec-23-2016, 2:38pm
I am surprised that nobody has mentioned Dave Peters' Art in America. Great tone and remarkable playing.

I have heard OF this recording, but the only thing I have ever seen is a mediocre-quality youtube video.

darylcrisp
Dec-23-2016, 4:45pm
for me, its Reishman in "Walk along John"

There's just something about his sound.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/mandolins_001532.shtml

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu3UOo2F8mk

have to include this whole album also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFdzlAnEnyg

bones12
Dec-23-2016, 5:02pm
As with the above listed gems, also consider Joe K Walsh on Sweet Loam and Mr Sun projects. He brings a wonderful sound to the recordings. Just my opinion.... Doug in Vermont

goose 2
Dec-23-2016, 5:02pm
My current favorite recorded mandolin is Monroe on the Smithsonian live recording from 1956-1969. I just love all that raw power and snap he gets. These recordings really show how magical Bill was especially in a live format

Jim Hilburn
Dec-23-2016, 5:59pm
Several years ago there was an independent CD store in my town. He had a $1 sale on what was mostly bad stuff but there was Up in the Woods in the pile.

woodwizard
Dec-23-2016, 7:58pm
Reischman's tone he get's out of that Loar is just hard to beat.

barry
Dec-23-2016, 9:17pm
The "best" is, of course, subjective. I agree with all the Grisman and Reischmain references.
I want to add this one. I don't know if it is "best" or not. But, it is what I think a mandolin tone should be.

http://youtu.be/2C7F_JTzYk0

Skip Kelley
Dec-23-2016, 9:50pm
Butch Baldassari on whatever he plays does it for me!

Tempotantrum
Dec-23-2016, 10:52pm
The majority if not all the cuts on Skaggs & Rice. In the liner notes Ricky thanks Dawg for the use of his mandolin - I assume that it is Crusher. I don't think all cuts use the same mando - but they are all fantastic and represent what I want my mandolin to sound like when it grows up!

Dave Simmons
Dec-24-2016, 12:42am
I love the rich tones that Butch Baldassari achieved on Evergreen, no sewing machine just sweet melody and rich tone...

tree
Dec-24-2016, 8:03am
Surprised that no one (I think) has mentioned Wayne Benson and Alan Bibey's The Mandolin Chronicles.

There, I just did. Incredible recorded mandolin tone to my ears.