PDA

View Full Version : April Tune

craig
Mar-06-2004, 6:53pm
The poll is open at Yahoo! Groups (http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/mandolinproject) for our April tune!! We've got to give Benignus (ernie_tellis) something to do. The poor guy's been sitting around since he recorded his MP3 on Feb. 29th!

Hope everyone is coming along with Sally_Goodin!

Cheers,

Craig

p.s. i can't add any tunes to the poll for April, but if you have a tune you want me to add to the poll for May send me an e-mail. i'll try to limit the number of songs we vote on to 12 each month so not to thin the vote too much.

danmills
Mar-08-2004, 12:41am
One of the tunes on the April poll is "Blackberry Rag". I've never heard of it, and it's not in my books. Perhaps it was supposed to be "Black Mountain Rag" or "Blackberry Blossom"? Or perhaps I need some new books? :-)
Dan

craig
Mar-08-2004, 2:07am
dan,

check-out the TEF files at co-mando.com

craig

AlanN
Mar-08-2004, 7:26am
Jimmy Gaudreau recorded Blackberry Rag on his 70's solo LP.

levin4now
Mar-08-2004, 9:56am
Nice selection for the poll. Sally Goodin', Soldier's Joy, and Ark.Trav. are 3 songs that I have worked on in a simple version at least and I am immediately drawn to choose one of them (of course, we are on SG right now), but Fisher's Hornpipe looks like one I'd like to try and never have.....

stanley
Mar-08-2004, 10:27am
Are all of those tunes in 4/4 time?

My vote goes out to anything in 6/8 time so that folks will have to start looking at different picking patterns. And besides, a more traditional celtic tune would add a little variety and perhaps some additional interests from non-BG oriented folks.

Well , that's my suggestion...

Michael H Geimer
Mar-08-2004, 10:54am
[stanley raises his hand in the classroom]: Mr. Henderson? I don't think the homework is difficult enough.

Seconds later a barrage of wadded up paper projectiles sail forth towards the back of Bill's head ... launched by the Nelson-like hulligans sitting in the back row.

Seriously ... great idea.

stanley
Mar-08-2004, 11:22am
benig,

Your creativity continues to astound me....and because of that I'll be watching my back all day!

Bluegrasstjej
Mar-08-2004, 11:28am
A celtic tune would be cool. I guess that's the only way if we'd play a tune in 6/8 timing. But maybe that's a little tough for beginners? I'm not sure, I thought 6/8 timing was really difficult until I figured out how jigs work.

levin4now
Mar-08-2004, 12:21pm
i'm sitting with benig, wadding up paper right now. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

just kidding. i'm game to try something different.....later. right now, I'm also a beginner in music theory too, not just mandolin.

Jim M.
Mar-08-2004, 12:37pm
I'd suggest saving the Celtic tune for next time since the pool already started. Dan B. has a lot of cool arrangements that I'm sure he'd be willing to share for this project.

mad dawg
Mar-08-2004, 12:46pm
I too like the idea of a jig, perhaps in a minor key.

stanley
Mar-08-2004, 12:56pm
At the risk of increasing the projectile threat...

what about the possibility of a 'set' of easier jigs that can be medley'd together. Perhaps that could offer more flexibility for various ability levels...learn one or learn all, you choose.

Just a thought...
Bill

Walter
Mar-08-2004, 2:24pm
I'm not against a celtic tune, but I would prefer something in G, D, or C. That's my vote. (...still a beginner...)

craig
Mar-08-2004, 3:26pm
if you guys have suggestions for specific songs you want me to put on the next poll, send them my way. they have to be songs available as TEF files, though. unfortunately, i can't change the poll for April or else all the current votes are lost.

craig

Bluegrasstjej
Mar-08-2004, 4:12pm
Actually most Irish tunes are in D or G...but I think jigs are a bit too difficult for real beginners, let's hold on to the standards. Those who want more challenge probably have jams or places where they can improve on more advanced stuff.

mad dawg
Mar-08-2004, 5:25pm
if you guys have suggestions for specific songs you want me to put on the next poll, send them my way. #they have to be songs available as TEF files, though.
This is good news, since owners of the full version of Tab|Edit can import ABC files and save them in TEF format with mando tab. This will open up an entire world of Celtic tunes, since large repositories of tunes exist in ABC format on the internet at sites like sosyourmom.com (http://www.sosyourmom.com/Oneils1.html), thesession.org (http://thesession.org), The banjolin page (http://www.banjolin.supanet.com/), and ceolas.org (http://www.ceolas.org/tunes/).

Nik-chick
Mar-08-2004, 8:56pm
[Wonders if she's fixin' to get caught, due to the fact that half the wads of paper that have hit Bill are the same shade of purple as the legal pad infront of her]

What about the theme to the movie, Kill Bill?

Seriously, I'm having a hard time with Sally Goodin. I'm not sure I'll even be able to do it by the end of the month. Someone else was skipping the double stops. Coming up with harder things might need to be a couple songs away for those of us at the back of the class.

If you go too easy, the more advanced of the beginners can come up with a harder variation. If you go too hard, the less advanced beginners are SOL.

Michael H Geimer
Mar-08-2004, 9:00pm
" What about the theme to the movie, Kill Bill? "

ROFTLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

" If you go too easy, the more advanced of the beginners can come up with a harder variation. If you go too hard, the less advanced beginners are SOL. "

I agree that if we pick easier stuff as the base version each month, we can avoid leaving people behind. Having a 'lead example' as a TEF file is great, as it allows us to discuss specific areas with each other. But, I certainly didn't stick to that version ... and neither of us went for the double stops, or up the neck. (Edit: Listening back again, Shane does some really cool up the neck stuff! )

ShaneJ
Mar-08-2004, 9:05pm
Nik,

Skip the double stops if you want to. I'll guarantee you that you can play the tune by the end of the month without the double stops. Maybe not at 300 bpm, but pick a comfortable tempo and just pick the melody. It's all about learning and progressing from where you are today towards where you want to be. I was hoping to here ol' Lazarus sing http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Michael H Geimer
Mar-08-2004, 9:09pm
" I was hoping to here ol' Lazarus sing "

I've been hoping she'll take on those 'jealous wife' lyrics!

ShaneJ
Mar-08-2004, 11:10pm
There you go!

craig
Mar-09-2004, 4:25am
nik-chick,

i agree with you completely. one of the main reasons for doing this thing is to keep each other inspired. certainly don't want a bunch of people getting discouraged because the songs are too difficult. it makes more sense to offer a simple song and let the more advanced beef it up. there is some merit to tackling a song that is a little more difficult. it will encourage some to push themselves a little harder than they normally would.

as for sally goodin, you could just learn the first two parts and play them 3 or 4 times through. that would simplify the song quite a bit, but maintain the basic melody. and, the all time bonus: no double-stops!

pick on!

craig

Scott Tichenor
Mar-09-2004, 7:25am
The poll is open at Yahoo! Groups (http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/mandolinproject) for our April tune!! #
What?! Traitors, and in our midst! I can't believe it. Just kidding.

This message board has a poll feature and I'll check into it if there's inteest for this purpose only. I just never turned it on because it'd just generate a bunch of nonsense polls like "Brand A vs. Brand B - which is better", etc.

Nik-chick
Mar-09-2004, 5:18pm
I'm actually not to the double stops. (I might have problems when I get to that, but I don't expect to be too much worse with that part than the rest...atleast I think I was equally bad on the hard and easy parts when I tried to learn this before *L* I never finished it. My teacher at the time and I moved on to some easier exercises.)

My biggest problem was not having a printer (I've never needed one before, I just print my papers at the library, but I can't install TablEdit there). I was having to try to memorize it, because I couldn't scroll and play at the same time. I found some staff paper though and began copying it down. So that's under control.

harwilli55
Mar-09-2004, 7:26pm
A couple of Celtic tunes that are easily played on mandolin are:
1. Over the Waterfall
2. Whiskey Before Breakfast
3. Arkansas Traveler( Americanized version of Irish tune)
4. Cold Frosty Morning

Hope that helps with some suggestions

Harlan

Nik-chick
Mar-09-2004, 10:07pm
NEVER MIND ME! *L* I was worried about getting it done by the end of the month because I thought we were about 10 days farther into the month than we actually were! More than that, 'cause I thought it was about the 18th around the end of last week! I have had to plan WAY too much stuff too far in advance lately; and since I already had as many plans for April as I typically have for the following month by 2/3 of the way thru the current one, I just assumed this was late March *LOL*

And I'm not even sure I put that in the right thread. I think I need a http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif (and I don't do caffine, so that would NOT be coffee *LOL*). I should have gone out for a drink w/ the other folks from the PRSSA (school club) tonight! *j/k*

mandoman88
Mar-21-2004, 9:35pm
Cumberland Reel is a good and easy celtic tune in D and 6/8.

Bluegrasstjej
Mar-22-2004, 5:27am
If we'd to do a jig, I really like Paddy Clancy's and Tar road to Sligo.
I didn't know Arkansas traveler was an Irish tune!! What's the name of it originally?

Bluegrasstjej
Mar-22-2004, 5:33am
Seriously, I'm having a hard time with Sally Goodin. I'm not sure I'll even be able to do it by the end of the month. Someone else was skipping the double stops. Coming up with harder things might need to be a couple songs away for those of us at the back of the class.

If you go too easy, the more advanced of the beginners can come up with a harder variation. If you go too hard, the less advanced beginners are SOL.
Maybe I should have read through all replies before saying anything? I really agree with you. I thought 6/8 timing was impossible to play before I started really listening to jigs (I think I've said that somewhere). Let's stick with simple 4/4 tunes. It seems Cherokee shuffle is winning. That's great to me, I like that one. I've played it some but never really worked on it. It's a great tune to learn because it's very popular at the festival jams here. (Soon it's festival season! Tjohoo!)