PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof case

roberto
Dec-18-2016, 5:41am
I've been searching, but I can't find any specific topic.
Is there a waterproof case? and I mean waterproof for really HEAVY rain. Sometimes my only way to go to gigs is on mi motorcycle even if it rains.
I'm tired of using garbage bags!! LOL

UsuallyPickin
Dec-18-2016, 10:24am
Maybe an Anvil case would suit your needs insofar as waterproof. But I wouldn't want to carry one on a motorcycle. I suspect your best bet would be a Calton or Hoffee case and carry it in a backpack with a rain cover. Motorcycle in the rain to a gig ....... that's dedication. Safe travels ... R/

liestman
Dec-18-2016, 10:59am
I can highly recommend this for your use.
https://www.fusion-bags.com/collections/mandolin/products/pb-tenor-ukulele-mandolin-gig-bag

Great backpack/straps/padding system on a soft but strong case that is pretty waterproof, plus they come with a slip-over rain cover that should totally block any rain.

Polecat
Dec-18-2016, 11:09am
Move to the mountains, given where the rain in Spain mainly falls.
Seriously, rather than trying to find a waterproof case, which probably won't be 100% waterproof and will cost a great deal, how about something along these lines: http://www.ebay.es/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=111872149869&_sacat=0?

(I found it on German Ebay, but it seems to be available in your country, too)

foldedpath
Dec-18-2016, 11:12am
The Pegasus case I use has a pretty good seal, enough to walk in light rain from the car to a session. But I wouldn't trust it in a heavy downpour, or on a motorcycle. The only truly waterproof cases would be heavier than you'd want, like a Pelican case.

What you need is a marine dry bag. They're totally waterproof, fairly light weight, and you can stuff any mandolin case you want inside. Available in many different sizes, including ones with backpack straps:

https://www.rei.com/c/dry-bags?r=c&ir=category%3Adry-bags&page=1

rdb8847
Dec-18-2016, 11:28am
I would suggest a Carbon Fiber Mandolin

JeffD
Dec-18-2016, 11:31am
Great backpack/straps/padding system on a soft but strong case that is pretty waterproof, plus they come with a slip-over rain cover that should totally block any rain.

Wow. They look impressive.

dhergert
Dec-18-2016, 12:00pm
...What you need is a marine dry bag. They're totally waterproof, fairly light weight, and you can stuff any mandolin case you want inside. Available in many different sizes, including ones with backpack straps:

https://www.rei.com/c/dry-bags?r=c&ir=category%3Adry-bags&page=1

I'd agree with this. From my kayaking experience these are really the only completely waterproof solution. If you get the right size, you can put your whole mandolin case in the bag.

All bets are off if you take a spill on your motorcycle though.

Good luck!

almeriastrings
Dec-18-2016, 12:14pm
For everyone's info... it is, and has been, raining almost constantly here in Spain now for several days. Cold. Wet. Very wet.

http://www.laopiniondemurcia.es/comunidad/2016/12/17/cortada-redonda-cubos-murcia/791405.html

I agree. A good strong case to protect against shock and trauma, plus a good waterproof covering. About as good at it gets...

All of the actual 'waterproof cases', such as we use for audio/video gear (like the Pelican) are far too bulky and heavy to carry on a motorcycle.

roberto
Dec-18-2016, 2:48pm
Thank you, guys.
Those marine backpacks look good.

JeffD
Dec-18-2016, 3:18pm
I agree. A good strong case to protect against shock and trauma, plus a good waterproof covering. About as good at it gets...

Makes a lot of sense.

mandroid
Dec-18-2016, 5:34pm
Rubber gasket edges on the 3 brands of Fiber Glass cases I have, should do.

I'm right near the Coast.

[With the caveat, "not to be used as a Flotation device"] ;)

Calton (my A50 in it)

Pegasus ( My Lebeda F5 in it)

and Eastman ( My Mix A5 in it)

I also got a roll top closed Dry Bag Day Pack from REI Decades ago .

I Brought my 1922 A Mandolin in its case to the store , to try it out before I bought it.

In The past People have found Tournament Tennis Racket (they hold 3 or 4) bags make decent case covers..

Serious waterproof, look at Pelican cases
http://www.pelican.com/

and Pick a size to Modify the lining material to receive your Mandolin

'/,

fentonjames
Dec-18-2016, 5:36pm
why not put your existing case in a waterproof bag of sorts. i think even a simple trash bag would work.

foldedpath
Dec-18-2016, 6:25pm
why not put your existing case in a waterproof bag of sorts. i think even a simple trash bag would work.

The OP mentioned using it on a motorcycle. Trash bags can come undone or rip apart at highway speeds. A marine dry bag won't. I've used them on kayak trips for all sorts of things, and once they're rolled shut and fastened with the clips, they stay shut.

MikeEdgerton
Dec-18-2016, 7:06pm
If you do use trash bags use contractor bags and make sure they aren't open to the wind on the bike. Bungee cords are your friend.

Ivan Kelsall
Dec-19-2016, 3:00am
I've taken my Travelite case out in pretty heavy rain on a few ocassions. It's always the case i use when 'playing out'. I've never had any water get into the case itself. One thing that i do because the case has a fabric covering, ''just in case'', (no pun intended), is to spray the fabric with suede shoe 'water repellent spray', & water simply rolls off it without wetting it. I've also wiped (not sprayed) my TKL rectangular case over with a cloth sprayed with silicone furniture polish, & that behaves in the same way - water just won't touch it.

Just as an aside to this thread - years back i had a newly built house.I had to get the garden sorted & fenced off ,& i got wooden fencing of the type with overlapping wooden 'planks' ( for want of a better word) we call it 'Waney Lap' fencing. I also had a brick wall built around the patio area. I bought some 'silicone' waterproofing for the wall to prevent the bricks from holding water which might freeze & start them flaking. I had some left over,so instead of painting the wooden fencing with wood preserver,i sprayed it with the silicone waterproofer. When it rained,it was incredible to watch the rain simply cascading off the fence without even wetting it !!.:disbelief:
Ivan;)

derbex
Dec-20-2016, 3:50am
Marine dry bags are good I have used them sailing, and to strap a mandolin to the motorbike. The other option would be top box or panniers for the bike, if you can find ones big enough.

Jim
Dec-25-2016, 10:34am
+1 for a dry bag, I'fished them out of the river with everything inside dry as a bone. I always keep a garbage bag in a pocket of my gig bag for motorcycling/bicycling in the rain. They have never failed me yet. The Gig bag being on my back it really only gets rain on it at very low speeds.

roberto
Feb-01-2018, 3:58am
I think I've found the right pack for the rain. I have to check if the Hiscox fits on the 65L or the 90L bag.
http://seatosummit.com/product/hydraulic-dry-pack-with-harness/#

mandroid
Feb-02-2018, 2:02pm
yea definitely more sophisticated than the one I got 30 years ago , but a similar idea..

Canoe Portage packs are an even larger volume category.. ;)