PDA

View Full Version : MAS Conundrum

michaelcj
Dec-17-2016, 12:21pm
Every day I check the classifieds here and lust somewhat over the "top of the line" F style instruments, knowing that my ability and checkbook could never justify such a purchase.

Then looking at the "next tier" down F's [Collings, Northfield, Weber, and many small makers] in the $3000.00 to $5000.00 range I'm left with my "Conundrum"…..

I have a 20 year old Ratliff RA5 that is in great shape, plays comfortably, and has a tone and response that is "everything" I could want.

So…. why do I keep checking out the F's and wondering?

I don't live in an area where there are any dealers convenient to do comparisons or play before buy. What's the likelihood that I would find an F in that "lower tier" that would impress me significantly beyond the Ratliff?

Unanswerable ramble, I know….. perhaps I should just shut up and play….. Still????

sblock
Dec-17-2016, 12:36pm
As we know, the variability in sound among mandolins is notoriously large. If you looked hard enough, or you just got very lucky, you even be able to find a low-end -- but exceptional -- instrument that sounds better than your Ratliff, like a Kentucky, Eastman, Loar or Flatiron, etc. But the odds are not with you on that. And it you look one tier or so up, at Collings, Weber, Northfield, etc., you stand a much better chance of finding something that sounds better than your Ratliff. But it's still not 100%. And if you go up from there, to (say), Gibson, Altman, Kimble, Ellis, Duff, etc., you will likely find something that sounds better to you, but maybe not. Still not 100%. You can even go up to a Gilchrist, Dudenbostel, Nugget, etc., and still -- perhaps -- not manage to match or beat your Ratliff. But you very likely will. Not that you can afford these instruments, mind you.

You just have to keep wondering and keep checking and keep wishing. If you look long and hard enough, you will almost certainly identify something in the "lower tier" (as you say) that will beat your Ratliff. It's practically inevitable. But you may have to look a very, very long time. The real advantage of the "higher tier" instruments, in this regard, is that they shorten the search time to find something better! That's how I see it, anyway.

Anyway, with MAS, it's all about the journey, and not the destination. ;)

Br1ck
Dec-17-2016, 1:31pm
I would not look for something to beat your Ratliff so much as compliment it. Have either an aesthetic difference, say both an A and F style, or a sonic difference, or both. If you find you aren't playing one you can always sell it and leverage the cash to trade up a level.

Looking for a different or better combination is a pretty natural inclination..

F-2 Dave
Dec-17-2016, 2:24pm
Don't worry about it. That's just what we do.

JeffD
Dec-17-2016, 6:32pm
Every day I check the classifieds here and lust somewhat over the "top of the line" F style instruments, knowing that my ability and checkbook could never justify such a purchase.

The only part I would take issue with is the "ability" part.

Ability has got nothing to do with it - with the possible exception of the second mandolin purchase, the one replacing the starter, if the starter was a compromised instrument.

Gary Leonard
Dec-17-2016, 7:50pm
Yes, shut up and play ;)

As Br1ck stated, look for something to compliment your Ratliff. An F style that sounds different enough to justify the expenditure of 3k or more, and you address the sound and aesthetics side of the MAS justification. I wouldn't do this without playing it first, so take your time, and travel a bit to get your hands on it. Hop a ferry and get down to Dusty Strings! What about Vancouver?