PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin work. Baltimore/Annapolis MD?

Bill Kammerzell
Dec-15-2016, 9:00am
Want to get the nut replaced on a mandolin. The only place I can locate on line is Appalachian Bluegrass in Catonsville. Online reviews look okay. Anyone had experience with the shop? Any other suggestions.

Willie Poole
Dec-15-2016, 8:56pm
I live about 8 miles from that store but don`t deal with them, the last time I did was about 5 years ago and they treated me like I was dirt, some years ago I did have some repairs made there but the repairman wasn`t an employee there he just rented the back room and he has since left and another one has taken his place but I have never had any dealing s with him...

You might try measuring the width of that nut and I suppose you can order one already slotted and install it your self, I have done that many times, just keep the old one to check for how high you need to make the new one...I am not a repairman but do some small things like setups and fret dressing etc. mostly on my own mandolins...

Good luck....Willie

MikeEdgerton
Dec-15-2016, 9:32pm
There are two Maryland builders listed in the builders database. They may or may not do repair work.

Scott Morgan:
http://www.smorganmusic.com/index.html

Gerry Snelson:
http://www.skipperstrings.com/index.html

Both are a hike for you, neither is near Annapolis. There are more listed in Virginia, I don't know if any would be closer for you. There used to be a guy that was doing guitar repairs across Route 2 from the Annapolis Town Center but the last time I looked when driving by he wasn't there anymore. You'd think there would be somebody in the Baltimore/DC area.

Bill Kammerzell
Dec-15-2016, 10:14pm
Thank you Mike. Just amazing. I didn't think of looking on here for builders, local. The one in Rockville is closest. About 44 miles. The other guy looks like he's in Western Maryland. I ended up calling Appalachian Bluegrass. Their on line reviews were mostly good. They sounded knowledgeable enough over the phone as well as when I got there. Price sounded reasonable. It's the only place I know of in the area where they do repairs Monday through Friday. There is a shop on the Eastern Shore in Salisbury that is good. I'll see how this goes. It was a 30 mile drive at that. I feel pretty good about it. Should have it next week. They had other work.

Bill Kammerzell
Dec-15-2016, 10:17pm
I live about 8 miles from that store but don`t deal with them, the last time I did was about 5 years ago and they treated me like I was dirt, some years ago I did have some repairs made there but the repairman wasn`t an employee there he just rented the back room and he has since left and another one has taken his place but I have never had any dealing s with him...

You might try measuring the width of that nut and I suppose you can order one already slotted and install it your self, I have done that many times, just keep the old one to check for how high you need to make the new one...I am not a repairman but do some small things like setups and fret dressing etc. mostly on my own mandolins...

Good luck....Willie

They have repair guys in 5 days a week now and one is the owner. They were actually pretty nice today.

Bill Kammerzell
Dec-20-2016, 10:12pm
I wanted to follow up with my very positive experience with Appalachian Bluegrass in Catonsville MD. I took a Silverangel in to have the nut replaced. Discussed the repair with a very pleasant young lad named Tyler. I wanted the nut changed and I wanted the new nut to be slightly higher. He told me the owner, Emory would be performing the repair. Emory called me the following Monday (Yesterday) and said the repair was completed. I picked it up today, and the nut had been replaced, a new nut was in, properly slotted and slightly higher. I was charged a total of $65.00 which was very reasonable to me. The mandolin has much better playability and better all around action. Everyone I dealt with, either in person or on the phone were very pleasant.

bobcoe
Dec-21-2016, 8:52pm
I love that store, it's a good thing I don't live closer! That's where I bought my mandolin, guitar and very nice uke!

Bill Kammerzell
Dec-21-2016, 10:54pm
I can only thank the Lord that I live in excess of 30 miles of the store myself. I can imagine the small fortune I have saved on instruments and accessories I didn't buy. They had an Eastman special this past Saturday. Tim Finch the factory rep was in. Roads were too icy for me. They did nice work for me. Gave them a good review at Google reviews too.

Willie Poole
Dec-22-2016, 12:43pm
Tim Finch, now that is one crazy dude, I have know him for some time but haven`t seen him for quite a while....I wish I had of known about the Eastman special I would have made it over there just to see Tim...I also want to check out an Eastman 814 oval hole mandolin and I bet they had one there for that special...

Willie

Bill Kammerzell
Dec-22-2016, 7:47pm
Tim Finch, now that is one crazy dude, I have know him for some time but haven`t seen him for quite a while....I wish I had of known about the Eastman special I would have made it over there just to see Tim...I also want to check out an Eastman 814 oval hole mandolin and I bet they had one there for that special...

Willie

You may be able to get a hold of him through Eastmanstringband@Hotmail.com. They do not give a phone number at the web site. Both his bands, the Good Deale Bluegrass Band and the Eastman String Band are playing at Ram's Head Tavern this coming February 4th. He gave me a good deal as Eastman rep at Gettysburg Bluegrass last May, I think, although I didn't pick that mandolin up much until I decided to start playing again 5 months later. $360.00 on a new MD305.
If you have known him but not seen him for a time, he might help you out. Who knows? Worth a try.

MarkELynch
Dec-22-2016, 8:14pm
I've never used Appalachian BG but Marc Glickman in Frederick, MD comes highly recommended. He has done fine work for me over the years. Reasonable prices and usually fast turnaround for straightforward jobs like set-up and nut replacement.

Here is a link to his Facebook page with photos of his work. Check the restoration of an H2 mandola.

https://www.facebook.com/Glickman.luthier/?ref=br_rs

Email: marcopno@verizon.net

Mark

Bill Kammerzell
Dec-22-2016, 8:23pm
Thank you Mark. That's probably 70 miles for me. If I need to go that far I will though.

Steve K
Dec-25-2016, 12:09pm
Check out Garrett Park Guitars in Annapolis. Their repair guy is Greg Wright.