PDA

View Full Version : buying single E strings?

RickPick
Dec-12-2016, 4:06pm
I've broken enough E strings and cannibalized my stash of once-complete sets of EJ74s that I'm putting a dozen E strings on my Christmas wish list! The individual envelope inside a set of EJ74s says the E (and the A) are "Plain Steel." I sometimes use Martin Bluegrass 80/20 Bronze (M450) strings when I can get them, and the E (and A) strings there are described as "Silverplated Steel." (These actually seem to break more often than the EJ74 "E" strings). Both the D'Addario and the Martin M450 "E" strings are .011 inch, so any difference would only be in the composition. I play largely bluegrass and Celtic. Just wondering what significant differences there might be between D'Addario's "Plain Steel" E string and the Martin M450's silverplated steel "E" strings?? Also, do most of you more experienced players routinely buy just single E or A strings for when you break a string but aren't ready to replace the entire set? Thanks.

Jacob
Dec-12-2016, 4:19pm
Aside from plating, there is most probably little difference in the composition of plain steel strings sold with different labels.
There are only a couple of makers of musical string wire. Many brands start with the same plain strings.
I buy plain steel strings by the dozen (http://www.juststrings.com/plainsteelloopendbulkstrings.html). (NFI)

UsuallyPickin
Dec-12-2016, 4:24pm
Well ... it depends on how often the breaking of an E or A or any other string occurs ..... I generally don't break strings playing a mandolin or guitar. If I found I was breaking a given string regularly, monthly or more often, I would look at my instrument or technique to ascertain what was causing it to happen. If my strings were breaking at between two and three months I would just replace the set. Look at http://JustStrings.com , one of the sponsors or this site, to purchase single strings. R/

gtani7
Dec-12-2016, 10:52pm
First you have to look for sharp spots/pinch points where they're breaking: loop end, at the nut or tuner? Also graphite in saddle slots and Triflow/Nut sauce in nut slots. Mine seem to go at the tuner, but I don't see any rough spots there.

So i just buy 15 d'addario .011s at a time and keep them in reserve. When restringing E's, i don't use the string winder device, i just tension them by hand slowly.

amowry
Dec-13-2016, 12:38am
I buy lots of single D'Addario E srings, usually from JustStrings. When I'm setting up a new instrument I have to tune and detune the strings several times, which really stresses them. I replace them before sending them to a customer so they don't break prematurely.

WW52
Dec-13-2016, 1:39am
I rarely break strings --and can't remember the last time I broke one. I also tend to leave strings on for a fairly long time before I get around to changing them, and when I do decide to change them I always start with the wound strings. But when I get to the steel E & A strings I'm thinking, "well they still sound pretty good, why bother changing them" so I just leave them on. And with that cycle repeating itself more often than not, I've developed a rather large collection of unused E and A strings over the years.
I mostly use GHS A260s for the wound strings. For the most part I've never really compared different brands of the steel strings -- except for the A string (of which I prefer the wound A from Thomastik Infeld). Otherwise steel E and A strings that I've used all pretty much sounded about the same to me.

JeffD
Dec-13-2016, 2:04am
I was breaking a lot of e and a strings a while back. Turns out I had purchased some counterfeit strings - good label but bad strings.

But normally I hardly ever break a string. I change mine probably three or four times a year. If I leave strings on too long, until one breaks, I change them all.

RickPick
Dec-13-2016, 9:52am
Thanks for the feedback. I don't think I have an unusual number of broken strings, but always at the tuning peg when they do break (probably related to my fault kinking them when replacing them....). But just like on my guitar, strings occasionally break, and it is most likely going to be an E string. I probably SHOULD replace the entire set when one string breaks, but I hate changing strings too much to do that! I buy individual violin strings all the time, and they are easily available, but because mandolin strings are far, far less expensive, stores typically just sell sets. It just dawned on me to just buy single E strings -- hence my post. It looks like D'Addario makes lots of choices -- plain steel, nickle-plated steel, tin-plate steel. I haven't come across any place that sells the silver-plated steel that comes with the Martin Bluegrass M450 set, but you folks have provided lots of helpful information. Here comes Santa Claus....

gtani7
Dec-13-2016, 10:17am
also do you tie the strings on the tuner post (like 0:48 at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7qxn63PB0s)

I think that's ok for wound strings, probably don't need to do that for the E, just start by winding the string above the hole in the post and then down the post.

And yes, if your replacement strings are the same gauge, you can do one, if a heavier gauge, the 2 in the course should match.

Timbofood
Dec-13-2016, 10:33am
Are you sure you are staying at pitch? When I used to break strings, we were always creeping up in tuning. That was beforedigital clip on tuners but, it's still possible for things to creep.
The other thing you might try thinking about is technique, if you are trying to over drive the string, that can cause breakage too.
I used to up a dozen all the time but, I have been lucky since I was a young guy and full of juice. Buy two dozen and you'll probably never break another! Life is funny that way.

WW52
Dec-13-2016, 11:39am
In regards to breaking strings, it happened pretty often in my early days of playing, but when I started putting effort into keeping all the string contact areas smooth & slick --tuner post holes, nuts & saddles --I virtually put an end to string breakage.

mandroid
Dec-13-2016, 12:27pm
Mapes Music wire is sold in Big Rolls .. they are the source of Much of the string selling Industry ..

Breaking at the Bridge is because they Vibrated enough cycles to do that.

JeffD
Dec-13-2016, 1:29pm
At festivals where there is a workshop on alternate tunings, they know to have the concession area folks stock up on strings.

A conspiratorial mind might suspect some kind of collusion here. ;)

dhergert
Dec-14-2016, 7:16pm
I'm glad to read this...

During the most recent mandolin setup that I did on a mandolin for a friend, I broke the original 2 E strings while loosening them, and then later broke another 2 E strings. After the first set broke, I burnished the tuners where the strings exit, just in case there was a burr that the strings could feel, but that I couldn't see. But then, further on in the setup as I was loosening and tightening strings over and over to check frets and clearances, the other two broke too. I was figuring they broke due to tuning fatigue, as they also broke right at the tuner post.

Fortunately I had another new set to put on this mandolin just before I delivered it. From what I hear, there have been no further broken strings since then.