PDA

View Full Version : Paul Shippey and The Best Mandolin in The World

Left Hand Blind
Dec-04-2016, 8:04am
I'm a looooong time MandoCafe ghost, but I've just been hanging out in the corner making that one cup of coffee last ~o) since about 1997 ;)

Being a bear of very little brain and limited dexterity, I've never had anything to contribute, so this will be my first post. Since I started playing, 21 years ago (you wouldn't know it if you heard me - my playing still has the youthful sheen of the clueless) I had a Tanglewood A-style forever, then picked up a 1939 Gibson A00 a little under 3 years ago.

Now, the Gibson, I love. We met by accident in Forsyths (Manchester, UK) and I fell for the tone straight away: rich, mellow and dark. It's no looker and structurally it has seen better days - so we have this in common :))

However, there are drawbacks: it's quite hard work to play at any kind of pace - and my left hand is in seriously bad shape (years of Judo, motorcycling and general clumsiness have filled it with fractures, scar tissue and arthritis). A couple of months' intense practice pre a Simon Mayor tutorial (5-stars for that, by the way, lovely chap and a great teacher. Plays alright, too) led me into a bout of tendonitis, just to top it off.

Ouch.

Also, the A00 ain't loud, and at the time I was playing in an ensemble alongside a very talented mandolinist who had the confidence to play her Kentucky F-style hard and I have to tell you, that is a *loud* mandolin. In a good way. (Also, it allowed me to hide behind her during the difficult bits :)) )

I've found plenty of value on here over the years, and had all my questions answered without even having to ask, until I came to this point -

"What now? - I want a sweet, full sounding mandolin - not too bright - but loud enough to cut it in an orchestra without crippling my crumpled left mitt."

To cut a long story less-long, I scoured the length of the country. I'm no connoisseur, but I have been moving in mandocircles for a long time and I know a good 'un when I find one. So I played hundreds of mandolins from £400 to £6000+ (for reference only at the top end, you understand :disbelief::)) ) (although, it's worth labouring the point that expensiver isn't always betterer. Trust your ears, and your fingertips, say I).

Nothing hit the mark. A few came close, but they weren't *it*.

I remembered meeting a mandolin maker named Paul Shippey very many years ago, who had just been setting out on his own. At the time, I tried a couple of his instruments and was very impressed, but as a penniless student, these were pipe dreams. I decided to look him up on th'directory and lo and behold he had a website and everything.

I sent him an email and soon Gibson A00 and I were travelling by KTM to Weston-Super-Mare where I enjoyed an enormously warm welcome from Paul who had remained every bit as charming, sincere and personable as I had recollected.

Paul listened to my tale, and suffered an audience with my Gibson, then had me try one of his own part-finished models to see what sort of sounds I could make with it.

He was even polite enough to not visibly wince :))

He kept the Gibson overnight for measurements (the neck profile is *just right* for me) and it turns out that it was within a whisker of his own pattern anyway. We talked woods, and of our shared love of all things British (nothing jingoistic, just gratitude for our heritage and resources), then off I dashed to my home in the hills of the Narth.

A few weeks later, I wired Paul my deposit and told him to take his time as I would need a while to raise the full price of the instrument.

As it happens, just about a year after out first meeting, I got en email from Paul asking what sort of a finish I would like! How exciting! I literally didn't sleep for 2 days. By way of return, I sent Paul a few photographs of various instruments with finishes I like, even though "helpfully" enough, they were all rather different to each other. I also said that I was going to leave the final decision to Paul's good judgement, and that I didn't want to see it until it was ready.

Well, a few days ago I got back from Weston with my brand new Paul Shippey A5, and I am happy to report that the brief has been more than matched :):):)

What Paul has managed by craft and intuition is absolutely tremendous. The look, sound and feel of this mandolin could not be closer to what I wanted, despite my garbled and unintelligible descriptions. The quality of the finish and the detailing is immense - and it even smells fantastic! :))

As for the sound? - it's everything I could want. Rings like a bell, sustain for days, rich harmonics through the length of the perfectly-intonated fingerboard and so, so responsive.
Most amazingly, though, it opens up most when I play like me. By that, I mean that I can knock out a bluegrass lick or a Celtic reel and (tonally) it sounds just great, but when I start to play my repertoire, my way (I lean towards airs, classical and jazz standards), that's when it really starts to sing.

It's like magic.

5 days in and apart from the strings taking a beating, my left hand feels fine (relatively). I've had to learn to relax my Gibson Death-Grip, but the tendonitis seems to be at low ebb despite the many sleepless hours I've spent like admiring my new precious, like a grotesquely oversized Gollum :))

In short, this mandolin has given my playing a new lease of life, and extended the expiry date of my moribund left-mitt. It's crazy to think that for the same money as I could pay in a shop for a Chinese factory instrument - or a third of the price of a US-made one-trick bluegrass cannon - I've got a handmade instrument, carved and tuned back and top, in beautiful British woods, that sounds like me and fits like I grew up with it.

I can honestly say that I would not change even the smallest detail of my Shippey A5. Despite being a brute, I have played Monteleones, D'Aquistos and even a Loar F5 (at the late lamented Mandolin Bros as-was). I've played Eastmans, Capeks, Breedloves and a host of other fantastic factory-and-artisan made instruments.

Would I swap my Shippey A5 for any of them, as an instrument? - no.
And if that don't make it the Best Mandolin In The World, then what would? - only if I learned to play it properly! :))

I may yet get up the nerve to post some videos so you can hear it (in which case - no judging! I'm shy!).

For now you can see in instrument in question here:
http://shippeymandolins.tumblr.com
https://www.facebook.com/shippeymandolins/
http://paulshippey.co.uk

Dagger Gordon
Dec-04-2016, 8:26am
Great post!

Left Hand Blind
Dec-04-2016, 8:31am
Thank you, David - that's kind of you to say that. It's a great experience that inspired it, though :)

Mark Gunter
Dec-04-2016, 9:50am
Oh my, what a beautiful set of pictures of your A5. Reading your post was a pleasure; I'm wishing I could hear you play your new mandolin first-hand. Happy to hear of your good fortune!

Left Hand Blind
Dec-04-2016, 10:12am
Thanks Mark! :) you're right - I am fortunate! I didn't mean to crow, so much as to spread the word - especially to the similarly afflicted out there. I will do some videos, but I need to get my nerve up first. By the way, "Abilene" was one of the first proper songs my Dad ever taught me on the guitar, and I still whistle it most days :)

CES
Dec-04-2016, 10:28am
Congratulations! New Mandolin Day is always exciting, but it's even better when the mandolin exceeds your expectations!

Willie Poole
Dec-04-2016, 11:38am
L.H.B....They sure are some great looking mandolins, I hope they sound as good as they look and I am sure they do...

BTW...after reading your post on here if you fail as a mandolin picker you could try a career as a writer, if you haven`t already, you have a nice way with words...

Enjoy your new toy....Willie

gtani7
Dec-04-2016, 12:38pm
That's a great story, maybe it can be lengthened to full blog length with photos inline. And very belated welcome to the Cafe!

Now the list of instruments i want is: Flatiron, Silverangel, Collings, Weber, Rigel, Pava, Northfield, Gibson, Girouard, Buckeye, Jacobson, Bulldog, Phoenix, Shippey,

Mandoplumb
Dec-04-2016, 12:58pm
Ain't it great when a plan comes together. You are so lucky to find your perfect mandolin, I went thru several before I found my Dearstone but it's the one for me. Hope you have many years playing and loving your Shippey.

PS it ain't the best mandolin in the world, my 'Stone is LOL

Left Hand Blind
Dec-04-2016, 1:14pm
Thank-you, Chuck! This was especially exciting - the last New Mandolin Day I had was when I impulse-purchased the Gibson, so I didn't have to time to build it up! This one was a long time coming (albeit at my own behest) and I'd managed to make myself quite anxious about it (I know - silly, right? But it's what I do. Think of it as a talent, in reverse...). My expectations certainly were exceeded, though and if the tendonitis stays in check I may even be at risk of making some progress :disbelief: Wishing you health and happiness, always :)

Left Hand Blind
Dec-04-2016, 1:18pm
Thanks, Mandoplumb: you're right, I am a very lucky fellow indeed and wish there were something I could give back to the world in exchange. However - as I said - I am a man of limited talents, so I shall just have to keep trying my hardest at *everything*! :))

I'm delighted to hear that you also have the Best Mandolin in The World - what are the chances of that?! Wishing you the best in all things, and the time to enjoy them.

Left Hand Blind
Dec-04-2016, 1:22pm
Thanks, Gtani! I'm not sure how I would go about a full length blog and I'm sure my writing has limited enough appeal. On the other hand, I know Paul will have plenty of pictures from throughout the build and these should save my 10,000 words! :))

Incidentally, I see that you are also a fan of woodwind and the haunting Marimba. It may be that you enjoy "Koop Island Blues" by Koop which features these as well as melodeon, mandolin and breathy Scandinavian vocals. It's an odd find, but aren't they so often the best?! :)) With thanks for your kind words, and high hopes for your happy future.

P.S. I do love those Weber mandolins, and particularly their mandocello. However, Mr Shippey has to be my go-to guy henceforth, so I've asked him to start thinking about a mandocello in a few years' time (I'll need to save up again).

Dave Hanson
Dec-05-2016, 3:02am
I've had my Paul Shippey for almost 16 years, superb mandolin and Paul was a pleasure to deal with.

Without doubt one of Europes finest luthiers.

Dave H

Left Hand Blind
Dec-05-2016, 10:53am
Hi Dave - thanks for taking time to read my post! That's *quite* the collection of instruments you have listed there - very tasteful indeed. Is this a side-effect of your proximity to the Music Room at Cleckheaton, perhaps?

It's good to know that I can expect my Shippey to be in good shape in 16 years' time even if I'm not!

Dave Hanson
Dec-06-2016, 2:56am
One or two perhaps.

Dave H

Dave Hanson
Dec-06-2016, 2:59am
Further to that, it seems likely that The Music Room will not survive much longer, it seems to be in a bit of trouble.

Dave H

Dagger Gordon
Dec-06-2016, 3:12am
Further to that, it seems likely that The Music Room will not survive much longer, it seems to be in a bit of trouble.

Dave H

I'm sorry to hear that.

Rob Beck
Dec-06-2016, 4:24am
Hello Left Hand Blind, I too have a Shippey A5, and agree with your comments, particularly about what a nice person Paul is to deal with. Mine has a very similar finish to yours, but has a slightly different end to the fingerboard. There is a thread on here somewhere about the build process. Enjoy your Shippey!

Uncle Choppy
Dec-07-2016, 1:05pm

Dave H

Gosh. Didn't realise that. I bought a nice Eastman (since traded) from there.

Was even thinking of taking a run through to see what the Collings mandolins are like.
Being at the other end of the country from Trevor's emporium of delights, this was one of the few places within reach that one could see and play nice mando family instruments.

The current website is advertising a sale and also has the messages:

Like Life Our Opening Hours have become uncertain. If you want to be sure we are open please call before visiting

...and

Please Call us before Making a Journey to the shop as current staffing levels may dictate whether or not we are able to open

So it isn't looking good.

I'm sure I saw one of the guys who made my Oakwood Bouzouki (Martin?) there when they were setting the place up. He appeared to be in charge. Not sure if there was any official connection but Oakwood are in Leeds so not far away.

Regardless, it'll be sad, but not entirely unexpected in the current trading climate, if they go under.

wildpikr
Dec-07-2016, 4:07pm
Left Hand Blind,

Your opening post was well-written and leads me to wonder if you might be a writer [it appears you are versed as a storyteller]. Anyway, getting back to the subject, that's a fine looking mandolin!

I'd love to hear a sound clip when you get around to it...~o)

Congratulations!

gortnamona
Dec-07-2016, 5:03pm
great post, i'm also lucky enough to own one of Paul's early A5's , a cherry and sika model , its a super mandolin.

Left Hand Blind
Dec-09-2016, 2:30pm
@ Rob Beck - thanks for taking the time to read my post and comment: I've not located your thread on here, but I had *already* seen the videos you posted, and when I saw them I thought "if I can sound as good as this guy when mine's ready, I'll be a happy man indeed". The fact that I can't play so nicely as you is no fault of the mandolin's. Bravo, Sir!

@ Wildpikr: thank you for your kind comments. I'm actually no kind of writer at all - one could argue that one thread in nearly 20 years barely qualifies me as a rank amateur! But thank you for the compliment. I will be working on some sound clips although my pesky job is getting in the way at the moment. However, you might ask Rob Beck for directions to his video clips, which I am confident are far better than anything I'm likely to cobble together!

Left Hand Blind
Dec-09-2016, 2:33pm
@Gortnamona - thank you for taking the time to read my post and comment - I know everyone's very busy, so it was kind of you to do that. Cherry and sitka sounds like a lovely instrument: was this your choice or did you find it as a used instrument? What's the tone like? And do you have any pictures? Yours in satisfaction, LHB

Rob Beck
Dec-09-2016, 3:54pm
Thank you Left Hand Blind, you are very kind! (I won't tell you how many takes those videos took ;) )

Lord of the Badgers
Dec-09-2016, 4:39pm
Paul is a wonderful bloke, and an amazing builder. A true gent. His finish is amongst the best I've seen - his instruments, be they fully carved, or one of his 'axe' line with its flat fronts/carved backs.

Congrats :)

Denman John
Dec-09-2016, 5:13pm
I've admired Paul Shippey's mandolins for quite some time now. Just checked his Facebook page and there is a recent oval hole that looks spectacular. If I were in the market, I think I'd be looking at one of his 10 strings with an oval hole ... dreams are cheap ;)

Play it in good health and thanks for the write up!

John

Lord of the Badgers
Dec-09-2016, 5:30pm
He is reasonable, more than other luthiers I know, but yes - all things are relative!!
He was on about making a 10 string axe mandolin for me speculatively bless him - no pressure etc. His axe bouzouki was a different beast to my Forster, but I thought it equal in terms of build; just that it was a different animal. Who'd have thought you could say that about a flat top (ok, so it's a carved back)