PDA

View Full Version : Re: GC-DREAD-12 (Advice Please) (Gator)

NorwegianWood
Dec-03-2016, 10:13am
Re: GC-DREAD-12 (Advice Please) (Gator)

Hi,
This is an enquiry about a Guitar Gator Case:
I appreciate your site is about mandolins, but I would be most grateful for your advice.

After reading all of the reviews & checking out the sizes etc, as best as I could online.
I’ve just bought the above case for my new 'Vintage Reissue EKO Ranger XII VR 12 string Acoustic'
This is a reissue of their original 60 model.

Great case, but unfortunately it doesn’t seem deep enough?

The case spec says it has and internal body height of: 5 inches (127mm) deep.

The EKO is 4 ¾ inches (121mm) at its deepest point (ie: the bodies bottom end block)
so it seemed just right.

However, there is a little resistance as you go to close the lid.
The lid rest on the top of the guitar remaining open about ½ inch (12mm),
until you apply light downward pressure, where upon it closes onto its alloy rim, but re-opens as you remove that pressure.

This resistance seems to be caused by the height of the bridge, and its bridge-pegs,
which adds about ½ inch (12mm) to the EKO's overall height (so now totalling 5 ¼ inches / 133mm approx.)

BTW: Although the bridge is at a slightly shallower part of the body (at: 4 5/8)
...but the back of the guitar may not be touching the bottom of the case at that point, because the neck cannot go lower in the case than the fixed height of the storage-box (under the neck) will allow.

In fact, the bridge and all of the strings leave a slight indentation in the top lining,
(which simply brushes away when you run you hand over them)
further indicating that it is only closing after compressing the inner padding.

Obviously:
I don’t want to do anything that will harm this instrument, so I would appreciate your advice.

Many thanks.

gtani7
Dec-03-2016, 12:56pm
The worst thing a case can do is pressure the bridge, very easy to crack the top. Does your guitar maker recommend/sell a case? Or you have a shop nearby wehre you can try cases? I think probably your answers to both questions is no.

(acutally the worst thing a case for a Les Paul/SG or similar solidbody with mahogany neck, no volute, would be to downward pressure the headstock, but that never happens (i think))

You can modify the case by using a single edge razor to cut a flap inthe velour interior cloth and exacto knife to remove styrofoam underneath where it's pressuring the bridge, and glue the velour back down. I've had to do this for a bunch of bass guitar cases.

allenhopkins
Dec-03-2016, 4:27pm
You have to reduce the thickness of the padding. Suggestion in Post #2 is excellent. If you're getting imprints of the bridge pins and strings in the top lining, and if the case pops open when you unlatch it, you're risking a damaged instrument top if there's a hard knock to the case's top.

almeriastrings
Dec-03-2016, 10:05pm
Not sure where you are located, but the HISCOX cases (if in Europe) offer a bit more room inside than the Gator.

Those EKO Rangers are one tough guitar... built like a battleship. You need a sledgehammer to crack the top on those things. So, very slight pressure should be OK, but it does sound as if in this case you do have a fairly severe mismatch between the case and the guitar. Check the Hiscox. You could also (again if in the EU) look at the 'own brand' ABS cases by Thomann and Musicstore.de as these are very decent and quite a bit cheaper. Not fully up to the protective quality of the Hiscox, however.

NorwegianWood
Dec-04-2016, 11:39am
Thanks guys for your replies.
Your comments are pretty much what I thought.
So I emailed Gator support, here's what they said !

And I quote:
'What you're describing is normal. The case is supposed to press against the top of the instrument.
This will hold the guitar and place and aid in protection.'

Thanks

almeriastrings
Dec-04-2016, 11:41am
It depends on how much pressure....some slight pressure is OK, but if you are really having to force the case closed, that is too much.

EdHanrahan
Dec-04-2016, 12:08pm
And I quote:
... The case is supposed to press against the top of the instrument.
This will hold the guitar and place and aid in protection.'

IF the case were pushing just barely hard enough to counteract any minor top swelling caused by string pressure, most of us might agree, even though that still leaves the possibility damage from a drop or shock to the top of the case. Note that the better hard cases have arched tops to clear the bridge and pressure the rim. The most expensive cases, arched or not, often have padding to ensure that only the edges of the guitar are pressured.

The case being open by 1/2" implies that the guitar's bridge is being pressured downward by 1/4". That's A LOT!

In other words, +1 to Almeirastrings, above.

allenhopkins
Dec-04-2016, 11:20pm
"Pressing against the top" is one thing. Having the top pop open when unlatched means that the padding is being significantly compressed by a very tight fit. I would consider this Not Good.

It's normal for the top of the instrument to touch the top of the case, and in certain circumstances this might leave a slight impression of bridge and strings in the lining. Half an inch is 'way beyond what I'd expect.

Again, removal of some of the padding will alleviate the problem, though it also will reduce impact protection. Having the compressed padding forcing the top against the case is even worse in terms of impact protection, IMHO.