PDA

View Full Version : Dusty Windowsill, Monaghan Jig & Crèche Jig on mandolin & mandola

xLizardx
Dec-01-2016, 3:37pm
Video of my partner performing The Dusty Windowsill, The Monaghan Jig, The Crèche Jig on Mandolin, Octave Mandola, and Guitar. He just got the mandola, so he's been having a lot of fun with it :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1U5aEf3CXc

Paul Kotapish
Dec-02-2016, 1:58pm
Nicely Balkanized settings. Fun.

Jim Garber
Dec-02-2016, 2:36pm
Nicely Balkanized settings. Fun.

Thanks, Paul. I was trying to figure out why the medley sounded different from regular ITM. Nicely done tho.

xLizardx
Dec-02-2016, 5:42pm
Are you referring to the panning? I put the mandolin track slightly to the right and the mandola track slightly to the left, whilst leaving the guitar central - I thought that this would make the distinctions between the instruments more appreciable, especially on the harmonised solos.

My apologies if you don't find this as appealing - I usually mix vocals, not instrumentals, in which case my objective is to make tracks sound as layered as possible. I'm certainly no expert though - I've just read some suggestions that this approach creates a more "surround-sound" feel, which is possibly more appropriate to my own sort of singer-songwriter style material.

Thank you for taking the time to listen and comment, anyhoo :)

Randi Gormley
Dec-03-2016, 7:01pm
Nicely done.

I think by balkanized Paul was talking about the rhythm/chording on the very beginning, which sounded more like an eastern European style than ITM. Or I might be completely wrong, but that's what it sounded like to me -- a bit like gypsy music until I let my ears acclimate to the jig timing in dusty windowsills.

I thought the mix was fine, if a little heavy on the guitar -- what can I say? I normally play where guitarists are relegated to the back and sat on fairly heavily!

DougC
Dec-08-2016, 12:55pm
Nicely done.

I think by balkanized Paul was talking about the rhythm/chording on the very beginning, which sounded more like an eastern European style than ITM. Or I might be completely wrong, but that's what it sounded like to me -- a bit like gypsy music until I let my ears acclimate to the jig timing in dusty windowsills.

I thought the mix was fine, if a little heavy on the guitar -- what can I say? I normally play where guitarists are relegated to the back and sat on fairly heavily!
Yep. I agree.
Wonderful. Except...wait, I need to find how to spell curmungion. (I do have a reputation for being a strict traditionalist.) The point is to understand and demonstrate that you know the subtle and deep character of an ethnic style. I have admiration for technical ability and a sense of fun. And five stars for that part. Now 'carry on'. (I'll quietly sip my Guinness in the back of the room).

BrianWilliam
Dec-08-2016, 2:23pm
Mudge is what yer missing :)