PDA

View Full Version : Cumberland acoustic bridge

Chanmandolin
Dec-01-2016, 1:33pm
Hello everyone, I'm in the process of ordering a new CA bridge for a couple of my mandolins. This is a first for me, so I was hopine some of you could help me.

Does anyone know what specs I should choose? The mandolins in question both have a slight radius on the neck, but are pretty much standard beyond that. I attached a picture to see the options it gives you when ordering a new bridge. Any help would be great.

Thanks everyone

Marc Berman
Dec-01-2016, 2:03pm
Give them a call. They are great to work with - (877) 857-4896

Folkmusician.com
Dec-01-2016, 2:12pm
This will absolutely be mandolin specific. Even the same model mandolin will have some variations in neck angle and the arch on the top.

In general, you can order a standard flat, gapped bridge that is unslotted and modify accordingly. If you know the radius of your fingerboard, order the radius. It is a good idea to measure your current bridge height just to be sure the standard bridge is correct.

Ideally slotting is done to your specific mandolin.

I realize, this isn't of much help... just wanted to give some advise from my fitting of hundreds of CA bridges. :)

Chanmandolin
Dec-01-2016, 4:43pm
Much appreciated guys. Is there anything that could go wrong with getting the full contact option? I want to experiment with one to see the difference

HonketyHank
Dec-01-2016, 5:13pm
Full contact bridge requires more labor for good fitting. At least that was my experience. And a good fit is imperative. Not sure if the full contact bridge improves tone, but in theory it should a bit as long as the fit is good. My next bridge will be a two-footer.

Folkmusician.com
Dec-01-2016, 5:26pm
Yep, harder to fit. Especially in relation to top deflection under tension. Otherwise, it is the same basic principle.

Steevarino
Dec-01-2016, 5:34pm
Hey Chanmandolin, Like Robert said, go ahead and give us a call! I can walk you through the whole thing. Easy-Peasy! If possible, have your mandolin and a measuring device with you. If I can get a couple of key dimensions from you, I can make sure to get you a bridge that should be just right for your particular mandolin and make your installation process more trouble free.

lenf12
Dec-01-2016, 5:41pm
Hooray Steevarino!!! How's that for great customer service!!! :)

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

Chanmandolin
Dec-01-2016, 8:17pm
No kidding! Thanks steve!