PDA

View Full Version : blonde mandolin

Km1000seth
Mar-06-2004, 1:05pm
I am about to start my first mandolin in a few weeks, and I want it to be a blonde, but there are some thing about making it blonde that i dont understand, such as.
on the scroll when the rim meets the neck block. is there somthing that is done different on a blonde right there?
Id like to ask Jim and Grey Wolfe this on, but if anybody knows, well please fill me in.

Seth

Michael Lewis
Mar-07-2004, 1:22am
You make blond mandolins just like sunburst ones, just much more carefully!<G> Actually, if you keep your work as neat and clean as you can you can make the mandolin ANY color, including blond. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Brookside
Mar-07-2004, 1:37am
I love the look of blonde too but it just wasn't an option on my first effort. I've got plenty of cosmetic blemishes that a darker finish will help to conceal. Blonde is a most unforgiving finish for us beginners. You can do it if you pour your heart and soul into the details. Do not get in a hurry on any step. Good luck!

Km1000seth
Mar-07-2004, 7:19pm
thanx a lot guys

seth

boboshoes
Mar-07-2004, 9:30pm
I'll agree 100% with everything stated above! I will add one point though. If you can see anything you don't like on the mando before finishing (anything), do not go ahead with the clear! Any blemish gets magnified after the finish.

Keith Newell
Mar-08-2004, 1:53am
I second Boboshoes statement!
Keith

mandoluthier1
Mar-09-2004, 9:47am
Seth,
When I bind the scroll on my F's, I run it full-height as it climbs the helix, inside and out. I just have an aversion to the end grain of the plates being exposed if I used a uniform binding height.
John

Mar-09-2004, 11:10am
Lovely work John.

Dru Lee Parsec
Mar-09-2004, 11:59am
Nice tip John. I like that look as well.

sunburst
Mar-09-2004, 3:19pm
one thing to add.
I think a blonde instrument looks better if all the wood is the same color.
If your sides, back, and neck are all from the same stock, then you have a good match. If it isn't, you may need plenty of wood to choose from to get a uniform look.
I can build a stained mandolin (single color, not sunburst) for less $ than a blonde, because the wood has to match and can't have any cosmetic defects to be used for a blonde.

rose#1
Mar-09-2004, 7:03pm
very nice binding John where did you get it ? what Kind is it may i ask?

mandoryan
Mar-10-2004, 2:36am
John uses only wood bindings and I would venture to guess that that combo is plain Rosewood, maple, and maybe, cocobolo rosewood???..... Looks pretty though...I'll let John chime in more here. I had read this before and thought I would chime in to feel important http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

mandoluthier1
Mar-10-2004, 8:52am
Darby,
Those particular bindings are Ziricote, which bends very nicely, BTW. It really pops when finish is applied. There are also orange and rust purfling lines, both of dyed maple.
John