PDA

View Full Version : Strumming advice

Bil Kerrigan
Nov-30-2016, 12:07pm
New mandolin player here having picked up at Eastman 305 about six months ago. Before that I played a uke for a few years. As this is my first experience with a steel stringed instrument and using a pick, I am finding it a challenge to get down a strum I am pleased with. Not only do I have the usual beginner struggle with the pick slipping when I strum, but I find that when I strum with a pick with much of a point on it, the result is pretty loud and not always pleasant to the ear. When I swap to a more rounded pick I get a mellower more pleasing strum. I have made more progress with my picking than strumming, but when picking, I do better with a pick with some point on it. So I am struggling to settle on a pick that I can use for songs that include both picking and strumming. My two go-to picks are both Dunlop Primetones with raised lettering, one slightly more rounded, one more pointed. I guess I welcome any advice. Getting a nice sounding strum out of a nylon stringed uke seemed easy, as the strings are pretty forgiving. But the mandolin clearly requires a subtler, more nuanced touch to get the sound you want. Would you recommend I stick with the rounded pick and eventually as my precision gets better it won't be an issue with my picking, or just keep on practicing a strum with a pointed pick until I develop the lighter touch I need to keep it sounding good?

Dave Sheets
Nov-30-2016, 12:34pm
For me, one of the most fun things about playing mandolin in a band is constantly switching between single note lines ("lead") and strumming ("comping"), although not all single note playing is "lead", and double stops make the whole concept a bit blurry. Anyway, I like to be able to switch rapidly from strumming to picking or vice versa. It's just fun.

So, I think that means you really want to figure out a single pick that will do both for you, switching mid tune is not going to work. Stick with one pick, you'll need to experiment with strumming speed, location on the strings, the angle of the pick, the depth of the strum and how tightly you grip the pick. Also try experimenting with your left hand pressure, easing the pressure right after the strum will mute the sound- left hand pressure is a big part of playing fretted instruments. It might be worth a lesson or two with someone if you can't get it sorted out, a good teacher can help you sort out what is happening.

And do have fun!

Dave Sheets
Nov-30-2016, 12:37pm
Oh, and do be aware that a "good" strum on a mandolin doesn't sound like a "good" strum on a guitar or uke- the mandolin is very different critter. Listen a bit on youtube to what some good players do on mandolin, it's a different musical role most of the time.

pops1
Nov-30-2016, 12:58pm
I don't worry much about strumming, I treat it as a percussion instrument and get the percussive effect I want to hear. Bluegrass it's an up beat thing so different. If you use the rounded corner of the pick for strumming and the point for picking one pick will do both. I like the rounded part most of the time for either. Don't forget you can angle the pick for a less volume and a smoother attack. Have fun

MrYikes
Nov-30-2016, 8:38pm
And look at the pick sampler thread. Try it,,you'll like it.

Billy Packard
Nov-30-2016, 11:57pm
Greetings!

I would add that Blue Chip Picks has offered three pointed picks with different radius' on each point. This is like having multiple picks in one. Plus the material they make the picks out of just doesn't wear out.

Billy

Bil Kerrigan
Dec-01-2016, 8:10am
Thanks for some great advice. I know this is going to take me some time, and I'm willing to be patient and put in the practice time. They very things that make the mandolin more challenging also make it more interesting. And I do need to find someone who can give me a few lessons on technique. My local music store has no mandolin players on staff, but there are some around here.

MandoliNV
Dec-01-2016, 9:01am
I totally remember having this same problem when I started out. Three things helped me resolve this. Practice and Time. The third one is I have a large variety of picks I play with. I went to Elderly Instruments website and purchased a variety of shapes and sizes of cheap picks in search of the perfect pick. Many of their picks are sold individually so for $15 or $20 you can buy a lot of picks. The pick is an extension of the musician, and for some reason after I started playing with a lot of different picks I was able to overcome the challenge you are currently facing. I think it is because it forced me to get the most out of each pick regardless of shape, size, or thickness. Plus it is fun to experiment with the different sounds each pick produces.

UsuallyPickin
Dec-01-2016, 9:32am
Hmmmm .... I prefer a point on my picks and the rounded triangle shape seems to suit me. The thing about any pick is to not grip it too tightly. Loose wrist and loose fingers give better tone and control than a tight grip. If you don't drop the pick occasionally you are holding it too tightly. A heavier / thicker pick, IMO yields a better tone on a steel stringed instrument. A mandolin having double courses of strings to me feels easier to play with a heavier pick. 1.2 to 1.4 MM Wegan or 55 to 60 ga Blue Chip. Lastly keep your picks clean ..... facial and skin oil and other garbage accumulate on pick surfaces and cause gripping problems. R/

Steve Ostrander
Dec-01-2016, 9:39am
If you find a pick that you like mostly, say the feel and anti-slip, it's easy to modify it if it's a little too pointy for you. Just take some sandpaper or a nail file to it. I use Dunlop Rhino picks and I will sand them or score them with an Xacto knife to make them more tacky.

Mark Wilson
Dec-01-2016, 10:17am
Not only do I have the usual beginner struggle with the pick slipping when I strum, but I find that when I strum with a pick with much of a point on it, the result is pretty loud and not always pleasant to the ear.sounds like technique as much as the pick. I like a rounded corner alone or in small group but usually use the pointed pick when playing in a croud

acousticphd
Dec-01-2016, 12:42pm
I think it is very helpful to both watch closely and listen to the sound of a good players' rhythm playing (eg, chopping, strumming) - whether live or on video. For example, watch where they play (nearer the FB vs nearer the bridge), their right hand motion, listen for if they mute or sustain. A first suggestion would be to strum closer to/above the end of the FB, and use more of a boom-chuck style using downstrokes, mostly avoiding strumming on the upstroke. Pick angle through the strings makes a big difference, as does point bevel. As an old-time player, I tend to use more chords with 1-2 open strings, but varying your fingering so that you are fretting 2-3 strings allows you more control over the sustain. I use a Golden Gate (very rounded triangle), but hand-bevel the points to a longer tapered bevel, which gives them a thinner edge and a little more bite, without losing the smooth feeling.

It is pretty common to gradually evolve to heavier picks in the first year or two of taking up mandolin. As you say, picks are pretty cheap to experiment, and I wouldn't hesitate to experiment with modifying some of your picks by hand, eg, the Primetones. Using a heavier, good quality pick will keep your tone warmer and darker, which in most cases is an advantage.

pops1
Dec-01-2016, 4:28pm
If I am strumming and want to really drive something I strum a lot on the upstroke. Using both the up and down stroke can result in some very percussive sound that is very interesting. I wouldn't rule it out.

Gelsenbury
Dec-02-2016, 4:46am
Your experience sounds normal. Rounded picks are better for an easy strum, pointy picks for precision picking. But, as sheets has said, you want to find the best compromise in order to avoid changing picks mid-tune. This best compromise will change as your technique develops. So keep experimenting and enjoy the experience.