PDA

View Full Version : Weber Gallatin A

nick hyserman
Nov-30-2016, 10:57am
I'm seriously considering a Weber Gallatin A with the faded leather finish
and am soliciting input and opinions on fit/finish and tone.

Folkmusician.com
Nov-30-2016, 1:47pm
I can tell you one thing about the finish.... It is very difficult to photograph! :)

The fit and the finish is excellent. Obviously, a very stripped down, no frills mandolin, but the workmanship is great as is the tone.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0865/4148/products/Weber_Gallaton_A-Style_Mandolin-7.jpg?v=1480531417
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0865/4148/products/Weber_Gallaton_A-Style_Mandolin-16.jpg?v=1480531417
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0865/4148/products/Weber_Gallaton_A-Style_Mandolin-9.jpg?v=1480531417
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0865/4148/products/Weber_Gallaton_A-Style_Mandolin.jpg?v=1480531417

Ivan Kelsall
Dec-01-2016, 2:15am
Many thanks for the photos. Robert. It looks to be a very 'business like' mandolin,built for playing more than looking at,although it looks really nice to my eyes - the 'satin' finish looks flawless,
Ivan;)

Dave Hanson
Dec-01-2016, 3:50am
I played a couple of Gallatins at The Music Room in Cleckheaton when they had a big stock of Weber mandolins in several months ago, they both sounded superb, in fact the only Weber they had in stock which didn't sound great was a Yellowstone F5.

As you can see I'm a Weber fan.

Dave H

Shelagh Moore
Dec-01-2016, 5:05am
I like the look of the Gallatins and those that I have played have all been excellent in terms of tone and fit/finish.

spufman
Dec-01-2016, 8:51am
I have an older maple Gallatin F and the fit, finish, tone and playability remain excellent. Lacks nothing but the fiddly bits, compared to the upper line Webers I've played.

WoodyCTA102
Dec-01-2016, 10:52am
I've been looking closely at these too. I have a 2002 Weber Bridger Mandola that I love, but just recently got back to a mandolin. It's an Eastman 505 which is pretty amazing, actually. But, there is just something about Webers, and a few others, that I like. I have not been able to play the Gallatin, but the videos of them sound very nice to me. Let us know what you decide to do.

itstooloudMike
Dec-01-2016, 11:32am
I have a Bitteroot-A in the buckskin finish, and love it. Every Weber I've played with a satin finish has sounded better to my ears than the ones with gloss finish. I used to have a Bitteroot-F with high-gloss dark burst finish, and it never sounded as good as the A-style I have now. But that one also had a mahogany back, so that also factored into the tone. My Bitteroot-A has a nicely figured maple back and sides. It's a beautiful instrument, and extremely well made (as all Webers are). The typical Weber neck carve, radius fretboard, and wide frets work very well for me. I played a Gallatin-F that I really liked recently. Might be my next mando. But I'm keeping my Bitteroot-A.

allenhopkins
Dec-01-2016, 3:11pm
I bought a Weber Gallatin "sopranolin" three years ago at Bernunzio's, and from Robert's pics, I'd guess mine has the same finish, though I don't know if it's called "faded leather." A uniform brown satin finish, translucent enough to let the wood's figure show through.

My little Weber is immaculately built, no binding and minimal inlay (headstock logo, dots on the neck). Mine came with an armrest, which might be worth considering if you think wrist friction with the satin finish will result in a "shiny" area.

Johnny60
Dec-01-2016, 7:05pm
I really like the minimalist look of the Gallatin - there's something almost organic about them. I've played a few here and there, and they've all had a really loud, punchy and authoritative tone. Great note separation.

Bonniej
Dec-02-2016, 11:49pm
I bought a Gallatin F in January. It's the light faded leather. They had one exactly like your photo and that's what I planned on buying. I liked them both both but the F had the sound I liked best and it just felt right when I played it. I played a lot of others on many occasions at various music stores- Gibson, Big Muddy, Eastman etc and am still happy with my choice. I have a luthier in my family and he said the Weber is a quality instrument. I really like the smooth satin finish- understated but an eye catcher at jam sessions. It's a keeper! I have 2 other Mandos but it's my favorite.

nick hyserman
Dec-03-2016, 8:59am
I bought a Gallatin F in January. It's the light faded leather. They had one exactly like your photo and that's what I planned on buying. I liked them both both but the F had the sound I liked best and it just felt right when I played it. I played a lot of others on many occasions at various music stores- Gibson, Big Muddy, Eastman etc and am still happy with my choice. I have a luthier in my family and he said the Weber is a quality instrument. I really like the smooth satin finish- understated but an eye catcher at jam sessions. It's a keeper! I have 2 other Mandos but it's my favorite.

Are the Webers consistant in tone unlike say the Eastmans?

texaspaul
Dec-03-2016, 9:14am
Yes, but remember they are indidual instrument no 2 will be exactly the same you really need to try one first . I have found the Webbers more consistent in town then the easement send easements are great and some not so what all five instruments just different sounding. Some instruments just suit my ears better than others even with the brand and style with in that brand.

lflngpicker
Dec-04-2016, 2:15pm
The Weber Gallatin A5 I own has incredible fit and finish, and a very complete tonal palate-- warm, resonant, strong bass and not too shrill. I am hesitant to consider moving it when I read this thread.

JeffD
Dec-04-2016, 2:19pm
I am sure you will love it.

Gene Summers
Dec-04-2016, 2:35pm
I owned a Gallatin A for a couple years and loved it. It's a quality built instrument, you will love it. I upgraded to my Weber Yellowstone A about a year ago. Webers are fine instruments! Good luck in what ever you choose.