PDA

View Full Version : My attempt at Chord Melody Tuesday

Drew Streip
Nov-28-2016, 9:09pm
I bought Aaron Weinstein's book a few weeks ago and finally got around to learning one of his tunes! This is Etude #4:

https://youtu.be/bZbwJFPWJ1k

Mandolin: Eastman MD-515
Strings: D'Addario EJ74
Pick: Red Bear C-LGT

Charles E.
Nov-28-2016, 9:36pm
Well done! The Eastman really sounds good.

Polecat
Nov-29-2016, 12:32pm
That does not look easy - nice playing, and respect to you for posting the video.

Bill Bradshaw
Nov-29-2016, 12:55pm
Very cool. Makes me want to learn how to do that. Bill

Drew Streip
Nov-29-2016, 4:06pm
Thanks all! I suppose it helps that I have a background dabbling in jazz (sax and guitar).

The fingerings aren't THAT much more difficult than quickly switching between chop chords. It's just a new set of shapes, all transferable up and down the fretboard.

Plus, Aaron's book really helps make more sense of why certain notes go where. It boils down to: What note from the melody do you want to emphasize? What chord(s) are available for that note? And what chord tones are most important?

Plus, with only 4 string courses, the mandolin makes some of your choices for you. I never have to play more than 4 notes at once!

AaronWeinstein
Dec-01-2016, 9:22am
Drew, so glad you posted this. You sound GREAT!!! Keep it up and please, post more.

Drew Streip
Dec-01-2016, 1:07pm
Thanks Aaron! I started on #5 last night.

Out of curiosity, did you borrow these melodies from other tunes or did you write them all yourself? I'm not as experienced a listener as I should be, so I don't always recognize the standards.

AaronWeinstein
Dec-01-2016, 10:32pm
Thanks Aaron! I started on #5 last night.

Out of curiosity, did you borrow these melodies from other tunes or did you write them all yourself? I'm not as experienced a listener as I should be, so I don't always recognize the standards.

All the etudes are original melodies. But some of the chord progressions are borrowed from standard tunes in part or full.

CES
Dec-01-2016, 10:44pm
Very nice, Drew! I've got the book as well, but haven't yet jumped into it. Saving it for the post-holiday slow down...

Thanks for posting, you sound great!