PDA

View Full Version : Pick technique question

Br1ck
Nov-28-2016, 12:44am
I am in the process of setting up my bargain Michael Kelly mandolin, which came with a scooped Florida. My question is that I'm still hitting the Florida with my pick and am wondering if there is benefit to a shallower pick attack.

I can remove the Florida, scoop it quite a bit more, or leave it as a training aid if there is benefit to a shallow pick attack.

UsuallyPickin
Nov-28-2016, 1:03am
The deeper you are on the pick when you pluck the string the more pick you have to move to cross the string. You will be able to move the pick easier with less effort if it isn't as deep into the string. You want enough contact to yield a solid pluck but no more than that. Doing away with Florida will of course solve your clicking but so will an adjustment of your technique.

wooq
Nov-28-2016, 3:31pm
What sort of pick are you using? If you're using a thin, flexible pick, that might be contributing to why you are having to attack the string so deeply that you are hitting a scooped extension. A heavy pick makes it easier to get more string movement without "digging in" to the string.

JimY
Nov-28-2016, 3:48pm
I was told, years ago by an expert player, to grip the plectrum to show and use as little striking area as possible.

gtani7
Nov-28-2016, 3:56pm
Can you measure or post a picture of the scoop? I was about to take a Kentucky in for the scoop, but wasn't sure how much scoop to ask for. I'm assuming my shop will do this router thing so you can have as much as you want: http://acousticbox.com/mandolin-fingerboard-scoop/

Also, besides what /u/wooq said, you can try the very rounded and very point picks and get different actions and tone. For a very pointed, i recommend the Gravity Gold Sunrise 1.5 from Sweetwater, probalby the pointiest pick i've ever seen, plays beautifully

Br1ck
Nov-28-2016, 10:05pm
Using either a BC TAD 1R 60 or a 1.4 Wegen Dipper. The scoop is only around 1/8", I could go to 1/4 or more easily. I can pretty easily adjust my pick attack.

pops1
Nov-28-2016, 10:10pm
I was always using a very shallow pick attack, now I am teaching myself to use a deeper attack. I don't like it, it makes for more movement than a shallow attack, but it is less painful for arthritic joints as it allows the pick to absorb more of the inertia from striking the strings and less in the wrist. I still don't hit the scooped Florida, but mine is scooped quite low.

Mark Wilson
Nov-28-2016, 10:25pm
I tap the tip of my florida-less fret board on occasion.

Tweaking your pick technique just to avoid the extension seems restrictive to me

OldSausage
Nov-29-2016, 4:17pm
Just chop it off. Chop it right off.

farmerjones
Nov-29-2016, 5:02pm

Yep. I scored one of those MKs, and yes, my pick clicks on the florida.
Honestly, I don't feel the need to modify my playing technique.
Y'know a hacksaw blade would fit in there and I wouldn't even have to take the strings off.

Pete Martin
Nov-29-2016, 6:08pm

This is what I do as well. I like to get the pick deep into the string as it creates much more power and fuller tone from the instrument.

It helps to know the sound you want to create, then use the techniques that create that sound.

lenf12
Nov-30-2016, 11:24am
It helps to know the sound you want to create, then use the techniques that create that sound.

Agree with you Pete. That's why I like to vary the depth of my pick strokes (also the pick I may be using). I don't want to hear a bunch of pick click however so it may even influence the choice of mandolin I'll play. My F-12 has a squared off fingerboard with no Florida (sounds kinda weird to me...)

Len B.
Clearwater, FL (not scooped)

Br1ck
Nov-30-2016, 1:21pm
I get no pick noise at all with a rounded tip Wegen I have. I'll probably take a bit more off the Florida though. Also, I like to keep a pick with each instrument, so I need another Blue Chip. This bargain MK is becoming less so as I add accessories, so far a gig bag. Lucky I already had a strap.

RhodyMando
Nov-30-2016, 2:59pm
One question - what is a "Florida"??

Mark Wilson
Nov-30-2016, 3:05pm

DavidKOS
Nov-30-2016, 3:22pm
One question - what is a "Florida"??

As shown in the picture, it's the extended fingerboard used to play advanced classical repertoire. A large number of mandolin players don't use those frets so they either scoop it or remove it.

I tend to use it. But I'm in the vast minority.