PDA

View Full Version : NPD--Octaver pedal

zedmando
Nov-27-2016, 11:51pm
One pedal I've wanted for some time, but either had other things I wanted more (Or other stuff come up)--is an octave &/or pitch type pedal.
I haven't tried it on my Mandobird yet, but I will be later tonight or tomorrow.

I've tried a lot of them out over the years--but things such as poor tracking, odd sounds & price have been factors in not getting one---yet.

So recently I saw some online reviews for the TC Electronics SubNUp pedal--and it looked interesting (& sounded great)
So I checked it out --on two different occasions--with different guitars & basses.

It fit what I wanted--so the other day I picked one up.

I just got it, so there is that "Honeymoon" period we sometimes have with gear.
It has a classic mode (Older style Octaver where if you play 2 or more notes together you confuse it), a Polyphonic mode--where you can play chords or single notes--and best of all--the Tone Print mode--where you can download an app to add a third setting--it comes with one that is an organ kind of sound.
The app & the sounds are free too--so that's cool.
They also have an editor for it to create your own sounds or tweak existing ones--I have't done much with that yet though)
But with the sounds available (You can switch them via the app& a smartphone) this pedal will give me a lot of variety in what sounds I can get--so that was a selling point for me.

I'll review it once I've had it for a while & used it more-& for this forum, how it works with my mandobird-but it is a cool pedal--and GAS is subsiding a bit (Although a pedalboard would be a great next purchase for me)

zedmando
Dec-02-2016, 1:38am
So has anybody else here ever used an octaver on a mandolin?

kjbllc
Dec-02-2016, 7:26am
I use the pitchfork, and like it.

pops1
Dec-02-2016, 10:10am
I have used one for harmonica, it was too slow and couldn't keep up to the fast note changes. Worked fine on the guitar tho. If it is like mine it would work on slow songs/tunes, but may get confused in faster ones. Looking forward to hearing how it works.

JeffD
Dec-02-2016, 2:55pm
I have a POG octave pedal. And for what I want done it is great.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?127046-My-continuing-electric-adventure-octave-pedals

zedmando
Dec-11-2016, 2:59am
Cool thanks for the comments--I like what I can do with the Sub N Up pedal and my Mandobird--especially on a organ type sound I get with this pedal--most setting it for the first octave lower & the original sound.
There was a riff idea I was working on & with the Sub N Up the riff really came to life.
I think the song will start with the riff just on mandolin, then the octave pedal woudl come in (& maybe drums) then guitar would come in & maybe bass--it would build, then there's a bridge with just mandolin again--no octaver either