PDA

View Full Version : Jacobson Nautilus Nordic-themed mandolin

Marty Jacobson
Nov-26-2016, 11:35am
Here's a new instrument I just finished. It's going to a very patient customer in Norway.
This instrument is completely different than most Gibson-style oval-hole instruments, more like a Sobell in the way it feels to play. It is exceptionally loud and powerful, and unlike most oval-hole instruments is impossible to "overdrive", remaining clear and bell-like even when played aggressively.
The tone consists of very strong sustain and great note separation. It was designed to work for chordal accompaniment and Irish traditional music.

It's also been 13 years since I made an instrument with a dragon on it, so there's that. This one is inspired by Norwegian Stave Church carvings.

Marty Jacobson
Nov-26-2016, 11:42am
Some Celtic stuff:

Bach:

Ron McMillan
Nov-26-2016, 12:08pm
Wow, that is beautiful. What a lucky customer :)

Ron McMillan
Nov-26-2016, 12:15pm
[Double post removed]

dang
Nov-26-2016, 12:28pm
Very nice!!! It looks like it was worth the wait, and the "Norwegian Stave Church carvings" really look super cool :cool:

Jim Garber
Nov-26-2016, 12:56pm
Absolutely beautiful and wonderful sound, Marty!

harper
Nov-26-2016, 3:15pm
Marty, #36 is a masterpiece, and your playing is wonderful, too. Congratulations on your superb work. I take delight daily in my elegant Trumpetvine #32, which continues to inspire me to compose and arrange new music.

What are the names of the Celtic tunes, especially the first one? I recognize Si Bheag Si Mhor and the third and fourth tunes, though I can't think of their names.

Best regards,
Evelyn

Marty Jacobson
Nov-26-2016, 4:20pm
Thanks all.
Evelyn, the Celtic tunes are The Tarboltin, which is very similar to Cooley's, third one is The Cliffs of Moher, and the fourth is Banish Misfortune.

Bertram Henze
Nov-27-2016, 1:32am
I like the way the end shape of the fretboard is mimicked in the soundhole and the tailpiece (and, needless to say, I like the zero fret).
This instrument may proudly be placed next to, say, a Hardanger fiddle (also known for style).

I wonder if the metal part of the tailpiece could be done with colors inverted, i.e. mostly black to match the fretboard, but then I guess the black would get worn down around the hooks.

The sound is indeed so bell like (pun intended) and really comes into its own with the Carolan piece.

Ivan Kelsall
Nov-27-2016, 3:47am
Marty - That's another stunner from you - WOW !!!. The body depth looks to be a bit deeper than most,is it ?. You mention that it's 'loud'. My own Lebeda F5 style mandolin has a deeper than normal body - indeed,it's larger all round than 'standard' & it too is very loud. Is a deeper body always consistent with 'more volume' ?.

Wonderful,beautiful work !,
Ivan;)

Bob Clark
Nov-27-2016, 6:54am
Absolutely beautiful, Marty. The fine detail of your instruments always is second to none. I hope to have the opportunity to try one of them, one day. Thanks for posting this, and congratulations to you and the fortunate new owner.

Best wishes, Bob

John Soper
Nov-27-2016, 8:13am
Wonderous looking & sounding box!

Tom Haywood
Nov-27-2016, 2:48pm
Marty, stunning in every respect!

JEStanek
Nov-27-2016, 3:17pm
Sweet!

Martin Ohrt
Nov-27-2016, 4:02pm
Great mandolin and great playing! :)

Eric F.
Nov-27-2016, 6:26pm
Stunning, just stunning.

Don Grieser
Nov-27-2016, 7:21pm
Stunning, just stunning. Yes.

foldedpath
Nov-27-2016, 8:53pm
Beautiful mandolin, and nice playing on those tunes!

That first one -- Tarbolton Lodge? -- is one I've heard on a Buddy MacMaster set and always wanted to learn. Have to get crackin' on it now.

Skip Kelley
Nov-28-2016, 6:38am
Marty, your mandolin is beautiful! A real work of art! It looks like something in a museum; I'm glad it's not though!!!:mandosmiley:

JeffD
Nov-28-2016, 11:59am
and unlike most oval-hole instruments is impossible to "overdrive", remaining clear and bell-like even when played aggressively.

What are the physical characteristics of the mandolin that make this happen? If someone comes to you and says that this particular aspect is of importance in a mandolin, what would you go about doing differently in the making of the instrument?

JeffD
Nov-28-2016, 12:02pm
Some Celtic stuff:

and some

Bach:

Wonderful sound. As awesome as many have come to expect.

billhay4
Nov-28-2016, 12:10pm
Marty continues to amaze me.
Bill

Marty Jacobson
Nov-28-2016, 12:18pm
I wonder if the metal part of the tailpiece could be done with colors inverted, i.e. mostly black to match the fretboard, but then I guess the black would get worn down around the hooks.

Hi Bertram, I've done that on other mandolins (Evelyn's, for example). It looks nice.

Marty Jacobson
Nov-28-2016, 12:21pm
Marty - That's another stunner from you - WOW !!!. The body depth looks to be a bit deeper than most,is it ?. You mention that it's 'loud'. My own Lebeda F5 style mandolin has a deeper than normal body - indeed,it's larger all round than 'standard' & it too is very loud. Is a deeper body always consistent with 'more volume' ?.

Hi Ivan, a deeper body always means more (air) volume. ;-)
I don't think it directly correlates to acoustic output measurable in dB, which is a result of a number of different factors, including bridge mass, break angle, string tension, scale length, arching profiles... lots of different factors. I think the biggest single factor contributing to the volume of this instrument is the low mass, yet very stiff, redwood top.

Marty Jacobson
Nov-28-2016, 12:29pm
That first one -- Tarbolton Lodge? -- is one I've heard on a Buddy MacMaster set and always wanted to learn. Have to get crackin' on it now.

First time I heard it was on this Waxie's Dargle CD:

Marty Jacobson
Nov-28-2016, 12:32pm
What are the physical characteristics of the mandolin that make this happen? If someone comes to you and says that this particular aspect is of importance in a mandolin, what would you go about doing differently in the making of the instrument?

I'm not sure exactly. But all my instruments which have been similar in this character have had stiff tops. Some have had very, very floppy backs, and some have had very, very hard backs. But all have had stiff tops.
But to answer your question, I now have specs from this particular instrument which I can use to duplicate this instrument and its tone (or very nearly so). That's the beauty of building, you build up a library of "recipes" which can be used as starting points.

Polecat
Nov-28-2016, 12:53pm
What a fantastic sounding instrument! I really enjoyed the celtic video, especially Sheebeg Shemore. It looks OK, too, if you like mandolins, that is;)

Jim Garber
Nov-28-2016, 2:35pm
unlike most oval-hole instruments is impossible to "overdrive", remaining clear and bell-like even when played aggressively.

I would say that that would always be the ideal for any acoustic instrument. I think that is what we hear when we play some of the best. You have that headroom and that elusive character or responsiveness.

What I love about Marty's mandolins is that he is able to voice them. I spend lots of time listening to the differences in the videos for each of them and they are subtly different. I wish I could get down to his shop to play them in person. So far this Norse one sounds to the best to my old ears and i do love the look as well. I may have to start saving up for a clone.

Come to think of it, Marty, I just looked at the proposal you sent me a few years ago and it resembles this one very much. You can read my mind, too.

JeffD
Nov-28-2016, 2:55pm
I would say that that would always be the ideal for any acoustic instrument. I think that is what we hear when we play some of the best. You have that headroom and that elusive character or responsiveness. .

Yes. And the other end of the stick as well, that when played very gently at low volumes the tone characteristics are still there.

I would prefer the instrument that has great tone and all volumes than the one that has amazing tone when played in the range, but loses it either louder or softer. Even if amazing was better than great.

It allows the player to play more expressively, taking advantage of that dynamic range without seeming to lose control of the instrument.

usqebach
Nov-29-2016, 7:10pm
Beautiful work, Marty!

I need to drop by more often. Too many of these things getting finished without my "personal seal of approval"!

Jim

Charlieshafer
Nov-29-2016, 7:44pm
Hi Bertram, I've done that on other mandolins (Evelyn's, for example). It looks nice.

I love this tailpiece. Period. That's just beautiful. The entire Nordic mandolin is stunning, and I know this is a different mandolin, but this tailpiece against the bridge is gorgeous.

Charles E.
Nov-29-2016, 9:53pm
Marty, that is a wonderful mandolin! Do you mind if I ask how the top is braced? I was wondering if it is an X.

Love your posts,

Charley

Paul Busman
Nov-30-2016, 6:59am
Gorgeous in all respects Marty. As usual, this instrument is a little outside the box-- just enough to be distinctive without being oddball. If I were to commission a custom build, you would be on my very short list of luthiers.

Marty Jacobson
Nov-30-2016, 9:40am
Marty, that is a wonderful mandolin! Do you mind if I ask how the top is braced? I was wondering if it is an X.

Love your posts,

Charley

Hi Charles, it's a wide single transverse brace.

Johnny60
Nov-30-2016, 10:53am
Very nice! Love the "Gripping Beast" Nordic dragon design.

red7flag
Nov-30-2016, 11:05am
Marty that is a truly fabulous work of art and precision. Simple design with complex motifs make a great combination. The colors just fit together. The hardware accentuates the look. Now the sound... Great sounding playing and instrument. The instrument really responded to the Irish being played. That instrument is a total success.

amowry
Nov-30-2016, 3:14pm
Looks and sounds awesome, Marty!

Magnus Geijer
Nov-30-2016, 3:25pm
Absolutely spectacular work, as expected.

/Magnus

bernabe
Dec-01-2016, 8:50am
Sounds great, Marty!

Kalasinar
Dec-01-2016, 12:14pm
I'm relatively new to the mandolin world and i have never seen your work before... but viewing this thread and popping over to your site for a gander... wow. Just... wow. They are so unique, so beautiful... so refined. Your designs and colour schemes compliment each other so well, i'm in awe of your talent and skill. And the sound! Wonderful. Absolutely magnificent mandolins.

jblanchard
Dec-01-2016, 12:36pm
Outstanding tone and sustain! It just sings. Love it.

Pete Braccio
Dec-02-2016, 1:19am
Beautiful. And the voice! So rich and sweet.

Shelagh Moore
Dec-02-2016, 9:25am
Very nice work!

Bertram Henze
Dec-02-2016, 9:36am
I love this tailpiece. Period. That's just beautiful. The entire Nordic mandolin is stunning, and I know this is a different mandolin, but this tailpiece against the bridge is gorgeous.

Yes. That's what they play in Middleearth, after a hard day's orc-slaying.
There is a reason, of course: Peter Jackson's team copied a lot from Scandinavian style.

mandomanmike
Sep-18-2017, 2:58am
I have to say I absolutely LOVE mine, bought #30 used from another cafe member. Sounds larger than life and looks amazing.160878

Marty is an artist and craftsman of the highest order.

billhay4
Sep-18-2017, 10:24am
Marty is an artist and craftsman of the highest order.
I quite agree.
Bill

Jim Garber
Sep-18-2017, 10:56am
I hadn't checked on Marty's site lately but it looks like the last instrument was the carbon fiber prototype and #36 of this thread was right before that. I know he is around a posting lately here and I am hoping that he is so busy building that he has not time to update his site. Also I noticed that a few of the older blog entries have some hacked content addressing erectile dysfunction.

Give us an update, Marty, on what you have been working on lately.

billhay4
Sep-18-2017, 11:09am
I had a visit from Marty and family last summer. Great people. Haven't heard much since he got back to Georgia, so I assume he's swamped with work and family and mandolins, but I'm not sure.
I did get to play the CF prototype. Nice instrument, so he may be headed in the direction. I do know he's wrestling with the age-old luthier problem -- how to actually make a living making instruments.
His site does need some updating, doesn't it? but I didn't find anything inappropriate.
Bill

Marty Jacobson
Sep-22-2017, 8:14am
Also I noticed that a few of the older blog entries have some hacked content

Thanks for pointing that out, I'll clean it up. The bots never sleep.

Sorry Bill, I've been meaning to send you an email.

I have another mandolin that I will be shipping in a week or so, it's going to Pete Braccio. It's got wenge sides and neck, and the finish has been giving me fits. It finally decided to cooperate, and looks great. Hope to hear how it sounds today.
I only have one day a week for lutherie now, so I really need to stop doing any kind of repair work other than a 20 minute setup here or there. It gobbles up way too much time.

Next on the docket is a Leviathan or two, then back to carbon fiber instruments.

Nathan Kellstadt
Sep-22-2017, 10:13am
That looks too cool, Marty. Always a treat seeing your work.