PDA

View Full Version : Ellis F5 Special #380

Jordan Ramsey
Nov-25-2016, 3:23pm
Starting a little corner where I can post videos of my spectacular new Ellis mandolin. As far as I know, she was completed in September, so only about two or three months old at this point. It's already changed a ton, looking forward to how the sound develops over the next few years. A big thanks to Tom Ellis for building such a beautiful mandolin!

First video is a Charlie Provenza arrangement of Whiskey Before Breakfast, published in Mel Bay's Winfield Winners and Mandolin Anthology (Mandolin 2000).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD5Ohw_KKOw

DataNick
Nov-25-2016, 3:41pm
Superlatives and adjectives could not suffice to describe your brilliant playing and the tone you get from that instrument Jordan!

Awe-inspiring Brotha!

Skip Kelley
Nov-25-2016, 4:58pm
Superlatives and adjectives could not suffice to describe your brilliant playing and the tone you get from that instrument Jordan!

Awe-inspiring Brotha!

I have an adjective, perfect!!!

Mark Wilson
Nov-25-2016, 5:12pm
I love that version. Digging the little hesitation on the first A part. Well done!

The tone of that Ellis is as nice as I've heard! Thank for sharing

billhay4
Nov-25-2016, 5:38pm
Quite lovely--the playing and the sound of the Ellis.
Looking forward to more of your posts.
Bill

Nick Gellie
Nov-25-2016, 5:51pm
Sounds like my Pava #14.

Don Grieser
Nov-25-2016, 6:36pm
So happy for you, Jordan. What an amazing instrument to go with your stellar playing!

JAK
Nov-25-2016, 7:14pm
Nice improvisation there on that basic tune!

Steve Sorensen
Nov-26-2016, 1:38am
Nice.

Steve

Mark Gunter
Nov-26-2016, 1:43am
Beautiful playing, and that Ellis sounds stellar!

Clinton Johnson
Nov-26-2016, 7:46am
Awesome playing Jordan Ramsey!

Ivan Kelsall
Nov-27-2016, 3:55am
Hi Jordan - How are you going to balance out your playing with your Gibson & now,a superb Ellis to choose from ?. I have 3 excellent mandolins which i mostly play in 'rotation',one one day,another another day,but sometime's i'll play all 3 in one day. It's a nice problem to have - which one ?. Enjoy the dickens out of it,:grin:
Ivan;)

Tavy
Nov-28-2016, 4:34am
Perfect indeed - great stuff!

John Soper
Nov-28-2016, 10:35pm
Great mandolin - great playing!

Jordan Ramsey
Nov-29-2016, 1:22am
Hi Jordan - How are you going to balance out your playing with your Gibson & now,a superb Ellis to choose from ?. I have 3 excellent mandolins which i mostly play in 'rotation',one one day,another another day,but sometime's i'll play all 3 in one day. It's a nice problem to have - which one ?. Enjoy the dickens out of it,:grin:Ivan;)

Hey, thanks Ivan. The Gibson and the Calace went through their longest periods of shelf time since I've owned them when I brought home the Ellis. I've gradually been working them into my practice rotation, making sure all three get played every day. The Ellis does not have a pickup, so I'm still using the Gibson out regularly. I've got a recital next February, and I'd love to do mostly Calace, so I'll be putting in some major time on the bowlback the next couple of months. Really don't need two F5's, but I feel like I'd always regret letting either one go. Like you said, nice problem to have. Hope all is well, cheers.

Ivan Kelsall
Nov-29-2016, 3:15am
Hi Jordan - "..Really don't need two F5's,..". Me neither,but,the more that you play them,the more you begin to appreciate the ''differences'' & that in itself is very enjoyable. Plus,you have a top quality 'spare' if ever your Gibson needs sidelining for any reason.
I've often thought of trading in my 3 for an Ellis F5,but i know i'd miss the 'different tones' that i get from them. My Ellis "A" style is quite sufficient. I'm very fortunate to own 3 high quality mandolins & i know it,:grin:
Best wishes - Ivan;)

mcgroup53
Nov-29-2016, 9:21am
Nice buddy. Sounds like my 2015 Special, which is saying something

wildpikr
Nov-29-2016, 10:28am
That flows so well - a seminar on improvising and melodic playing all by itself! Thanks for posting...please keep 'em coming!

Mark Seale
Nov-29-2016, 12:15pm
That is really nicely done. Incredibly clean.

Johnny60
Nov-29-2016, 12:26pm
Hi Jordan - hope you're keeping well!

Have to say that I had the opportunity of hearing Jordan's new Ellis up close and personal during his recent visit to the UK, and he was kind enough to let me have a quick spin on it. It's a FANTASTIC mandolin, and he's a fabulous player and a really nice guy too.

Enjoy it, Jordan, you deserve it!

Jordan Ramsey
Dec-26-2016, 12:00am
Merry Christmas, Mandolin Cafe! Testing out a new phone camera, here's my take on Dempsey Young's arrangement of "What A Friend We Have In Jesus".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-_dk5PKVmY

Mike Snyder
Dec-26-2016, 1:13am
There are, to my ears anyway, some significant differences between the tone of the Ellis vs the Bush, probably enough to justify keeping both. I have loved and coveted your Bush for many years. The new Ellis is awesome also. Thanks for posting the tunes.

Ivan Kelsall
Dec-26-2016, 4:50am
To own 2 mandolins (or more) with 2 very distinct tones (or more) of their own,is one of the benefits of having so many great builders out there. As much as i'd love (understatement) to own an Ellis F5,i would definitely miss both my Weber & Lebeda mandolins. Each is an absolute delight to play just for ''the differences'',:grin:
Ivan~:>

Jim Hilburn
Dec-26-2016, 9:06am
Hey, it's not just about tone. You WON them both!

Don Grieser
Dec-26-2016, 10:35am
Beautiful.

Denman John
Dec-26-2016, 1:23pm
Hey, it's not just about tone. You WON them both!

I can see why ~ very tasteful playing and he makes that Ellis sound sublime.

Play it in good health and all the best in 2017

JAK
Dec-26-2016, 2:24pm
Your Ellis sounds more open than others I've heard. What kind/type of strings and pick are you using?

Ivan Kelsall
Dec-27-2016, 2:53am
From JAK - "What kind/type of strings and pick are you using ?" . Tom Ellis' ''go-to'' strings are GHS A270's,that's what i use on my Ellis "A" style & it sounds like Jordan's Ellis. However,i did try EJ74's on it at one time & it sounded quite 'similar',still very distinctly ''Ellis'' in flavour. The A270's do give a slightly sweeter tone to my ears,so i'll stick with those. I've never been tempted to try DR MD11's on it. The Ellis has all the power it needs,& i think the DR's might just rob the Ellis of some of it's inherent tone,not something that i want,
Ivan

Jordan Ramsey
Dec-27-2016, 3:28am
Your Ellis sounds more open than others I've heard. What kind/type of strings and pick are you using?

Hey John, thank you! Ivan is correct, I've been using the GHS A270 based on Tom Ellis' recommendation. As for picks, I seem to change daily. I was using a TPR 45 for a while, but was getting a ton of "clicky" pick noise on the strings in my first couple videos. Started experimenting with different options for the camera, ended up using a Dunlop nylon 1.0mm in this video. Not quite the fullness of the TPR in the room, but definitely quieter on the strings for this situation.

AlanN
Dec-27-2016, 6:37am
The D Man would be proud, Jordan. Lovely....but a hair too fast...haha

BigMuddyRI
Dec-27-2016, 8:45pm
Jordan - did you also record the audio with a phone? It sounded great. Mind if I ask the type of phone?

Jordan Ramsey
Dec-28-2016, 4:13am
Jordan - did you also record the audio with a phone? It sounded great. Mind if I ask the type of phone?

Hey BidMuddy, thanks! Yeah, it's the main camera on my new phone, no mics or processing / effects. The phone is a ZTE Grand X Max 2, just a mid level Android. But the camera kicks butt, super happy with how everything looks and sounds. Look forward to getting some high quality video lessons up for Don Julin soon (like this week, Don, if you're listening!!) :). Thanks for the kind words, all the best.

Ivan Kelsall
Dec-28-2016, 4:34am
After posting my last post,i did remember that i had indeed put a set of DR MD11's on the Ellis when i first got it. They were my 'new discovery'. I remembered because shortly after i bought it,i took it to show to a guy i know who plays Classic mandolin. His first remark was ''it's strung for Bluegrass'' !. However,when he played it,he produced some of the most sublime tones from it that i've ever heard from any mandolin,which sort of proved to me that ''touch is all'' (sort of). I did try Tom Ellis' favourites,the A270's & decided that i liked their tone on the Ellis,more than the DR's. The Ellis has a glorious tone & the DR's just made it sound a tad 'hard',
Ivan

Al Trujillo
Dec-28-2016, 11:03am
Sweet!!! Beautiful sound from that Ellis. And a belated congrats on your win at Winfield this year.

Jordan Ramsey
Mar-16-2017, 6:16pm
Today is my six month anniversary of being the caretaker for this beautiful mandolin. It's been played every day, and I must say it sounds better than ever right now. Huge thanks to Tom Ellis for presenting an opportunity for someone like me to own such a fantastic instrument. Cheers,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIGwSvQcgTM

billhay4
Mar-16-2017, 6:42pm
Lovely arrangement on a lovely instrument.
Bill

Stevo75
Mar-16-2017, 7:10pm
Nice! That was awesome, Jordan. I just learned St. Anne's Reel a couple days ago. I don't sound like that at all when I play it. It's probably the mandolin :)

Ivan Kelsall
Mar-17-2017, 3:06am
From Stevo75 - " It's probably the mandolin..". Unfortunately,i don't have that excuse,on any mandolin.

That's a seriously fine Ellis there Jordan - i was bustin' some finger joints on my "A" style yesterday. I had a look at the re-stringing memo that i keep in my case - 5 month old A270's & it still sings !. It'll sound even better with new ones on it. Come to think of it,the strings on all 3 of my mandolins are around 5 months old,:(
Ivan:mandosmiley:

mee
Mar-17-2017, 4:13am
Beautiful, thanks for sharing!

Johnny60
Mar-17-2017, 9:04am
Beautiful! Love the cross-picking up the neck too.

Steve Sorensen
Mar-17-2017, 9:44am
Fantastic!

Steve

Luna Pick
Mar-17-2017, 9:45am
Jordan-

That was a beautiful interpretation with enviable tone and dynamics. Seems like you almost even got lost in your own wonderful cross picking.

Oh, and fabulous mandolin too. . .

Bill McCall
Mar-17-2017, 10:17am
Really purdy.

Grimm
Mar-17-2017, 12:45pm
Sounds great! Beautiful instrument.

Northwest Steve
Mar-17-2017, 12:55pm
Great playing, I really like the sweetness of your Ellis. There are many terrific mandolins but one that has that sweetness when played softly really separates a special one to me.

dschonbrun
Mar-17-2017, 1:49pm
Really nice Jordan, the arrangement shows off the bell-like tone of the instrument in the upper register.

jasona
Mar-17-2017, 2:04pm
Sounds like a million bucks! Well played!

Ivan Kelsall
Mar-18-2017, 3:40am
From NW Steve - ".....but one that has that sweetness when played softly really separates a special one to me.". In my fairly limited experience,Jordan's Ellis has a pretty 'typical' Ellis sound. Tom's mandolins have to be amongst the most ''responsive & musical'' mandolins out there.
I've mentioned before on here that when i first got my 'used' Ellis,i did put a set of DR MD11's on it (my new discovery). A young guy i know who works in a large Manchester UK music store,is a Classical mandolin player. He played it & the tones he got from it floored me !. At the same time,it could rip it up with any mandolin for playing Bluegrass. For sheer beauty & total clarity of tone,an Ellis is very hard to beat - if that's even possible !,
Ivan;)

Austin Bob
Mar-18-2017, 8:41am
First video is a Charlie Provenza arrangement of Whiskey Before Breakfast, published in Mel Bay's Winfield Winners and Mandolin Anthology (Mandolin 2000).

Wow, what can I say. This is a fantastic sounding mandolin. And a great version of a classic that is played brilliantly. Bravo.

Can you please confirm which book has the right tab? I'd like to learn this, but I'm a bit confused when I look on Amazon:

When I search Amazon for Winfield Winners, I see these choices (https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=mel+bay+winfield+winners):

If I search for Mandolin Anthology, I see these: (https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=mel+bay+Mandolin+Anthology&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Amel+bay+Mandolin+Anthology)

loess
Mar-18-2017, 8:56am
Crystal bells, all the way up the neck. What a fine instrument, and only right that it sits in the hands of a master player! I watched you win that one at the contest, Jordan. You're a crosspicking maniac :) Thanks for sharing these videos, keep 'em coming. Hope to cross paths with you at Winfield in September.

Clinton Johnson
Mar-18-2017, 9:21am
Ugh! Now why can't I play like that?! Another fine example of what separates the aliens from the humans lol...great playing man, I enjoyed that immensely :mandosmiley:

Skip Kelley
Mar-18-2017, 8:23pm
That is fine, Jordan, really fine!!!

Jordan Ramsey
Mar-20-2017, 12:00am
Wow, what can I say. This is a fantastic sounding mandolin. And a great version of a classic that is played brilliantly. Bravo.

Can you please confirm which book has the right tab? I'd like to learn this, but I'm a bit confused when I look on Amazon:

When I search Amazon for Winfield Winners, I see these choices (https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=mel+bay+winfield+winners):

If I search for Mandolin Anthology, I see these: (https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=mel+bay+Mandolin+Anthology&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Amel+bay+Mandolin+Anthology)

Hey Bob, thanks! Just saw that the Winfield Winners mandolin book is now out of print (it is the second from the bottom in the first link you provided). Bummer, that was one of my first books and I've lost it along the way somewhere. Charlie Provenza's arrangement of Whiskey and Dave Peters' Dark Eyes (both in the WW book) can still be found in the "Master Anthology of Mandolin Solos Vol. 1". Third book from the top in the second link you provided.

Hope you learn some cool tunes, all the best.

Austin Bob
Mar-20-2017, 6:40am
Hey Bob, thanks! Charlie Provenza's arrangement of Whiskey and Dave Peters' Dark Eyes (both in the WW book) can still be found in the "Master Anthology of Mandolin Solos Vol. 1". Third book from the top in the second link you provided.

Hope you learn some cool tunes, all the best.

Thanks Jordan. I thought that might be the correct book, but I just wanted to be sure. I'll order it this week.