PDA

View Full Version : 1920 Embergher found in junk shop

Adm3873
Nov-25-2016, 2:59pm
Hi folks. I'm new to this forum. I found an emburgher mandolin and old hard leather case in a small town junk shop here in Australia. It needs some repairs a new bridge and there are a few issues which will require attention. It has a plain headstock original tuners. I am a blues guitarist so I know little about these things. I feel that it deserves to be restored out of respect to the maker. Have I stumbled upon a collectible ?instrument??

MikeEdgerton
Nov-25-2016, 3:23pm
You need to post some pictures of the instrument.

Martin Jonas
Nov-25-2016, 3:41pm
Yes, please post pictures. A 1920 Embergher, unless in terrible condition, is one of the most desirable bowlback mandolins around, so chances are that yes, it is a collectible instrument and it should be restored. As you're in Australian, I suggest you have a word with Graham McDonald (http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com/mandolins.html) in Canberra, who knows all there is to know about vintage bowlbacks.

Martin

Jim Garber
Nov-25-2016, 4:12pm
Yes, it may be desirable but even with an Embergher, if it is in basket-case condition, it might nor be worth it. Do send pics. It is also not easy to find a luthier who will have the know-how to properly restore it. If you just want to sell it, you might consider doing so as-is.

peter.coombe
Nov-25-2016, 5:41pm
I have done restoration work on bowlback mandolins, including basket cases, if you are looking for someone to do restoration work. Problem is, it can end up being a major job (i.e. very time consuming) that ends up costing way more than what the mandolin is worth after the restoration. It really depends on what the issues are, and it is not unusual to discover new issues during the restoration so costs can blow out. Pictures would help, but I would need to see it.

Graham McDonald
Nov-26-2016, 10:10pm
Yes, please post pictures. A 1920 Embergher, unless in terrible condition, is one of the most desirable bowlback mandolins around, so chances are that yes, it is a collectible instrument and it should be restored. As you're in Australian, I suggest you have a word with Graham McDonald (http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com/mandolins.html) in Canberra, who knows all there is to know about vintage bowlbacks.

Martin

That is very kind, Martin, but there is a lot more detailed expertise around here than I will ever know 8-)

The OP did send me a couple of photos of the mandolin. It is an Orchestra Model 1, with some seam separation on the bowl at least.

Cheers

Adm3873
Nov-28-2016, 12:36am
That is very kind, Martin, but there is a lot more detailed expertise around here than I will ever know 8-)

The OP did send me a couple of photos of the mandolin. It is an Orchestra Model 1, with some seam separation on the bowl at least.

Cheers

Hello folks,

Graham was kind enough to give me some initial advice. thanks to everyone who replied and provided advice. the Mystery is solved. As for next steps, I think that it will find its way to Graham for an assessment then I will make a decision on its future. I'm inclined to give it a new life though so it can continue to make music. I think we are all custodians to a degree.

August Watters
Nov-28-2016, 7:52am
I'm inclined to give it a new life though so it can continue to make music. I think we are all custodians to a degree.

Enthusiastically agreeing -- I've had several mandolins restored that cost more than they were "worth." Sometimes the historical, educational, or sentimental value is way more than the market value.