PDA

View Full Version : Information on white dove mandolins

tbrahan
Nov-25-2016, 12:32pm
I've searched for posts regarding White Dove mandolins, but haven't found anything with much detail. Has anyone had hands on experience with one of these. How is the tone? Fit and finish? Playability? What do they bring used, A's and F's? I'm looking at an A-style online, and I wonder what to expect?

red7flag
Nov-25-2016, 1:57pm
I had an oval hole A model. It had a very distinctive tone that I really liked. I sold it to get a Weber Vintage A. The extra $2k+ was really not much of an upgrade to the White Dove. A great mandolin for the $.

red7flag
Nov-25-2016, 3:13pm
Addendum:
The fit and finish is solid but not the great. My instrument was pretty simple with a blond top and lightly finished back and sides. There was a very cool white dove (mop, I think) in the headstock. The headstock went about an inch and a half past the tuners. A nice look. My A was very easy to play. What was most memorable was the tone, which was a clear sweet one, soft not sharp. I have fond memories of that instrument. I sold it to a friend about seven years ago. I should not have let that one go.

MikeEdgerton
Nov-25-2016, 6:08pm
Here (https://www.google.com/search?q=%22White+Dove%22+site%3Amandolincafe.com&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8) is every thread with the term "white dove" in it on the Cafe.

texaspaul
Nov-25-2016, 6:55pm
Mr Hutchins. Akes a gppd sounding nandolin. A friend of mine has an F-5 that has a nice even tone with plenty of volume. One of Ken's Oval hole A's had a great tone open and ringy plus the inlaid turquoise was beautiful.

red7flag
Nov-25-2016, 10:15pm
Thanks to Mike posting article on White Doves, I saw where pictures of my White Dove. My memory is faulty. It had a cool looking feather on the headstock, not a "white dove" as I stated. Really sweet looking instrument. I can really see what attracted me to it.

tbrahan
Nov-25-2016, 11:37pm
Thanks for the info guys. I'm looking at an A-style online for $750. It looks pretty solid. Has a tree of life in the fretboard and a white dove ascending on the headstock. I'm waiting on a response to my email. I think the holidays have got in the way of my communications.