PDA

View Full Version : Left-hander who plays with the strings upside down.

carbonpiou
Nov-23-2016, 1:14pm
The French left-hander who makes his mandolins and who plays with the strings upside down has again struck!

Normally, the mandolin you see on the video clip of this post had to have a rear body with coasts (I do not know if this is the right word ) in rosewood and maple hollowed out. Alas, my goodwill was not enough and the result turned to the real catastrophe. As I had already realized the neck and the table, I circumvented the problem and used the form to make a carbon body.
Those of you who have already followed my past "exploits" know that I like carbon ...

Of course, I have quite a few pictures of the details of the manufacture. If some of you wish, I can, of course, post.
But I know from experience that you prefer to have the image ... and the sound.
So I did that ...
Say you do not like it too much. The sound of the mandolin - and this in particular - is cruelly lacking heat for a title like that of Leonard Cohen.
But i like to try ...

My apologies for those who do not like or who will be shocked ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtdrQlnWug8

billhay4
Nov-23-2016, 2:30pm
And here it is Jean-Luc. Thanks.
Very bright and crisp sound. Nicely recorded. Did you add and effects?
Bill

Bertram Henze
Nov-24-2016, 12:46am
Nice Cohen impersonation. I like the "spotlights" background. The mandolin sounds normal/classic to me, and of course I do approve of the zero fret.

carbonpiou
Nov-24-2016, 12:58am
Hello, Billhay4! We already know each other! Thanks for the compliments, although I prefer the sound of the double chamber mandolin I realized in 2015 (remember?)
For sound, I did not add any effect, not even a tone correction. All the recordings of the mandolin (4 different tracks) were realized in my kitchen with a mini recorder Tascam to 110 €.
You perfectly understood that I then stalled and mixed these 4 recordings on computer. This time (but this is really an exception!) I used a band purchased on the internet (Recisio)
On the other hand, for the editing of the images, I am amused like a madman with the effects!

carbonpiou
Nov-24-2016, 1:07am
Quite frankly, I thought I'd be "massacred" for having dared to play Hallelujah that way!
So I am super happy with your first comments!
Ah, the fret 0, Bertram Henze ! I do not understand that some people do not want to hear about it! What advantages (only to match the sound of the free (is it the exact word ?) strings with the sound of the fretted strings.

billhay4
Nov-24-2016, 12:11pm
Jean-Luc,
I well remember your previous mandolin and I, too, liked it. This one may play in though (that means mellow with playing and age as many mandolins do).
Your work is quite good, both design and implementation.
I also prefer a 0 fret.
Perhaps we'll meet some day in person.
Bill

carbonpiou
Nov-25-2016, 12:06am
Jean-Luc,
I well remember your previous mandolin and I, too, liked it. This one may play in though (that means mellow with playing and age as many mandolins do).
Your work is quite good, both design and implementation.
I also prefer a 0 fret.
Perhaps we'll meet some day in person.
Bill

Where knowledge is lacking, the will does wonders.
Signed: me

carbonpiou
Nov-25-2016, 12:12am
The fans of this forum are always so loyal is nice! A real happiness for a Frenchman who feels a little lost and alone in a musical world where the mandolin is considered tacky.
If you come to France one day, Billhay4, I will receive you with immense pleasure!