PDA

View Full Version : bluegrass mandolin extravaganza 2?

Darren Bailey
Nov-21-2016, 1:28pm
I was giving the original a listen and began wondering who could guest with Ronnie and Dave on an updated version. My choice would be:
Adam Steffey
John Reischman
Chris Thile
Sierra Hull
Sam Bush
Paul Hoffman

I suspect Paul might not be some people's choice for straight ahead bluegrass but he'd be there if it was left to me.

lenf12
Nov-21-2016, 2:45pm
I don't know about BME 2 but BME 1 is a whole lifetime's worth of BG mandolin lessons. Sam played on BME 1 but all of the above are good with me although I'll have to Google Mr. Hoffman.

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

Ivan Kelsall
Nov-22-2016, 3:38am
I'd have to add one of my favourite 'non-Bluegrassers' (sort of), Robin Bullock. Robin's playing of Celtic tunes is awesome to say the least. I recently heard a medly from his CD ''The Lightning Field'' - 'Sean In The Mist / The Trip To Swannanoa" & the playing was simply tremendous. He's also one of the finest finger style guitar players i've ever heard. I'd add him to the CD simply because he deserves to be on it & in his case,i'd forget the 'Bluegrass bit', Ivan;)

Bill McCall
Nov-22-2016, 11:22am
Wayne Benson
Jesse Brock
Emory Lester
John Moore
Jordan Ramsey

And Evan Marshall.

Don Grieser
Nov-22-2016, 1:12pm
If it's bluegrass mandolin we're talking about, Mike Compton. Bluegrass needs some Monroe style IMHO.

bigskygirl
Nov-22-2016, 2:47pm
Like all listed so far, I'll add Sharon Gilchrist since Emory and John Moore are already listed.

Darren Bailey
Nov-22-2016, 6:10pm
How did I forget Emory Lester and John Moore? I think it will have to be a triple album this time Ronnie!
Thanks Ivan, you've introduced me to yet another great player.

fishnjim
Nov-23-2016, 11:23am
The 1st is a classic in every sense, essentially a "who's who" in the world of mandolin and bluegrass from that era and homage to the then-recent passing of Bill Monroe. Anything else, albeit with remarkable talent listed above, would only be a mere grab at greatness IMVHO.

Happy Thanksgiving!!