PDA

View Full Version : Another FFcP believer!!!

PugetPicker
Nov-08-2016, 2:18pm
So to be honest I had looked at FFcP a year or two ago and thought it looked interesting. I was originally reluctant because I tend to love the sound of open strings ringing out on my instruments, but have recently invested some time in learning FFcP these last few weeks. And then it happened, it all just clicked. I finished a G scale and then just slid my hand up and repeated the same first finger pattern for the second octave up the neck. All the sudden it all just made sense and I began working with different scales using all 4 of the FFcP shapes. I am so excited that I can play scales all over the fretboard and it is also helping me began to mentally map out where notes are up the fretboard. I can't say I have ever come across anything that works so logically in all the stringed instruments I play. Mandolin is so logical. Love it. Just wanted to share. Learn some FFcP.

UsuallyPickin
Nov-08-2016, 2:51pm
Gotta appreciate whoever decided on tuning in fifths............

Mandophyte
Nov-08-2016, 4:06pm
Welcome to the club!

Chris Daniels
Nov-08-2016, 4:25pm
Love 'em! I try to run through each one plus the more advanced versions (2 octave, pentatonic, etc) on a daily basis for warm-up and to reinforce the fundamentals.

C.

spufman
Nov-08-2016, 4:40pm
It's the book that clicked with me, too. The scale and tuning truly is marvelous.

montana
Nov-09-2016, 10:51am
Working on it but a tough book.

RhodyMando
Nov-09-2016, 11:36am
Could someone enlighten me on what is "FFcP". Also, what is the book that is mentioned?

Thanks.

Francis J
Nov-09-2016, 12:14pm
FFcP is Four Finger closed position, developed by Ted Eschliman, and the book is "Getting Into Jazz Mandolin" by Ted Eschliman. See
http://jazzmando.com/gijm_20835bcd.shtml

Mandophyte
Nov-09-2016, 1:55pm
Or click on the blue FFcP in my signature below.

Alan Lackey
Nov-13-2016, 8:32pm
I feel stupid because I dont really understand the fingerings ezpected on this. Are you basically playing the scales listed starting with first finger but keeping all fingers on the strings as you play through each?

Not sure why the instructions are comfusing me.

Marc Berman
Nov-13-2016, 11:20pm
I feel stupid because I dont really understand the fingerings ezpected on this. Are you basically playing the scales listed starting with first finger but keeping all fingers on the strings as you play through each?

Not sure why the instructions are comfusing me.

Not sure what instructions you are looking at. Here's the first lesson (http://jazzmando.com/ffcp.shtml). You're playing closed position scales (no open strings). The first set you're starting each scale with your first finger. Besides that you're playing normally. The next set start the scales with you're second finger. Then 3rd and 4th. If you look at the diagrams you'll see each one (finger) has a distinct pattern. Once you learn them you can play a scale anywhere on the fretboard starting with any finger.

Ted Eschliman
Nov-14-2016, 6:47am
Click here: Mandolin Cafe Free Lessons: FFcP. (http://www.mandolincafe.com/eschliman1.html)