PDA

View Full Version : fretboards for dummies

morgon
Nov-06-2016, 6:56pm
Hi all,

as a total noob I wonder what the different fretboard qualities (ie. wide or narrow, radiused or not) actually mean to a beginner?

Is a wider fretboard easier to learn with or harder, is a radiused one just a useless gimmick or actually useful?

I can understand that once you have progressed a bit you may come to develop a taste for one over the other but when you are starting out, it seems to me there is no way to tell which type you would prefer in the long run.

So I assume from a total beginner's view the fretboard is something you simply don't use as a criterion at all when deciding on a mandolin.

Am I right?

Many thanks.

UsuallyPickin
Nov-06-2016, 7:42pm
If you have monster size hands a wider fretboard is helpful. If you are an older learner a radiused fretboard is said to be easier on your hands ie. joints and tendons. If neither are the case then play some mandolins until you find one you like and can afford and get started. R/

JeffD
Nov-06-2016, 11:20pm
It is all personal preference. The bad news is that preferences develop with time and experience.

Those who come from guitar often prefer a wider neck, and those who come from violin often appreciate a radiused fretboard.

For example some prefer the radiused fretboard because it puts the hand in a very natural feeling position. Others notice that it can sometimes make barre chords and single finger double stops a little more difficult. Others disagree.

Some prefer a wider neck, more room to move around, others prefer a narrow neck so the reaches are not as big.

But radiused or flat, wide or narrow, all have their advantages and disadvantages. If it works for you its good. And down the road you will likely change your mind.

EdHanrahan
Nov-07-2016, 1:14am
Personally, I like the feel of a radiused board, but haven't had the urge to actually own one.

Don't join those who needlessly convert their "preferences" into "requirements". Play as many as you can, appreciate their feel and their differences, and enjoy them all. Eventually, you may develop preferences, or not. Worry more about finding a sound that "speaks" to you.

pops1
Nov-07-2016, 9:59am
I have both narrow and wide, flat and radiused. I can play either and not really notice much, tho I have played each for many years so there may be some memory thing going on there. It doesn't seem to bother me no matter which mandolin I pick up, the one I preform on is narrow and radiused, it is also the best sounding and has a pickup so there are other things there too. Find a mandolin you like the sound of, you will play it more if you love the way it sounds. When you have spent some time with it and play something else that you like better, well, then welcome to the club.

Br1ck
Nov-07-2016, 1:06pm
Jump right in, play what you buy, then you'll know more about what you like next purchase.

It does take experience to form a preference. Buy a well set up instrument from a Cafe sponsor, It is more important than the mandolin at this point.