PDA

View Full Version : Monsoondolin

Julian Morris
Nov-03-2016, 7:33am
Here's a link to a Youtube video of my recent composition 'Monsoondolin' for anyone that has a couple of minutes. I have added the chord accompaniment to the video. I still can't figure out what key it's in - seems to b a running battle between A and D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQUs4foPMX4

Denny Gies
Nov-03-2016, 7:54am
Nice work, thanks for sharing.

Bertram Henze
Nov-03-2016, 8:05am
sounds good, very laid-back playing posture, and nice pics from the Waterloo monument.

Marty Jacobson
Nov-05-2016, 11:02pm
Nice composition. Not what I was expecting at all.

John Kelly
Nov-06-2016, 5:33am
Fine work, Julian. Where are you located in Scotland?

Jim Garber
Nov-06-2016, 12:29pm
Nice tune, Julian. Aside from the reclining posture, I also noticed you have a very unusual way of fingering the notes, playing the 4th fret with your third finger and fifth fret with your pinky. You go up position to get to the 7th fret. You don't seem to use your second finger at all in first position. Is there a reason for that? Do you play guitar (where you have to use one fret per finger)? No criticism since your playing sound fine. I was just curious if there was a reason for a different fingering method.

Julian Morris
Jan-05-2017, 12:58pm
Nice tune, Julian. Aside from the reclining posture, I also noticed you have a very unusual way of fingering the notes, playing the 4th fret with your third finger and fifth fret with your pinky. You go up position to get to the 7th fret. You don't seem to use your second finger at all in first position. Is there a reason for that? Do you play guitar (where you have to use one fret per finger)? No criticism since your playing sound fine. I was just curious if there was a reason for a different fingering method.

Eek, I haven't been on the Cafe for ages.

I do play guitar, but I am quite strict with myself on Madolin I always keep 1st for 1st or 2nd fret, 2nd for 2nd or 3rd, 3rd for 3rd or 4th and 4th for 5th, depending on key. I broke my pinkkie years ago (playing Gaelic Football, a year of madness in my youth) and it is permanently crooked and will not stretch beyond 5th. Works for me.

This piece is predominantly in A (changes to G in the middle) just no call for 2nd finger somehow, it was originally composed with some pretty heavy hammer-ons, maybe I subconsciously wanted my strong 1st and 3rd for the hammer-ons. Never thought about it, never had a lesson and not about to re-learn.

- - - Updated - - -

Fine work, Julian. Where are you located in Scotland? Cambuslang

JeffD
Jan-05-2017, 4:18pm
Do you mind if I introduce that tune into our local jam. Its a winner.

I have it mostly down, but I need to go over it a few 61687681 times to be sure.

wildpikr
Jan-06-2017, 7:35am
I like it - thanks for posting!