PDA

View Full Version : Is the Goldtone TG18 really "too quiet" ?

Tim N
Oct-31-2016, 6:50pm
I've reached a point (which rather surprised me...) where I'm considering selling my 6 string guitar (which I rarely seem to play these days) in order to finance a second tenor guitar which I would keep tuned GDAE. Presently I have a short scale TG which plays best in CGDA. I have no wish to repeat old threads - it is clear that the Blueridge would be a good option.... but I have also be eying up the Goldtone TG 18 because I find the shape more pleasing for one thing.
I have seen reviews (not here, I think) where people have observed that the Goldtone is too quiet...whatever that might mean. That is contrary to the standard promotional blurb. I wondered if anyone here can confirm or rebuff such a claim? Possibly it's just a question of people's perception or expectations? I can't logically see why it should be the case, but would value any feedback from members who have played or heard the solid top Goldtone.
Thanks

Charles E.
Oct-31-2016, 8:09pm
While I have never played a Goldtone tg-18, I did a quick search and I think it has the same basic flaw that the Gibson tenors had in the past. That is that the body is too large for the scale length. If the neck joins the body at the 14th fret, it puts the bridge too close to the sound hole and not in the sweet spot of the middle of the top. The result....lack of tone and volume.

Martin guitars had a better understanding of this when they designed the O-18T and that is what the Blueridge tenor is based on.

Hope this helps.

Charles E.
Nov-01-2016, 6:15am
When I mentioned the Gibson tenor's, I am referring to the TG-50 style from the 60's. Some of the early, small bodied, tenors are quite sweet.

Lord of the Badgers
Nov-01-2016, 6:46am
I rather liked the Ashbury lindisfarne in this page (well apart from the electrics) https://www.hobgoblin.com/local/sales/g/360-000/tenor-guitars/
NFI, just adding another thought

fox
Nov-01-2016, 11:00am
There have been a couple of hand made tenors on UK eBay over the last week, one went for £350 and it looked really good.
There are still two nice ones on at the moment....

Reinhardt
Nov-01-2016, 12:12pm
Hi Tim, I played a Gold Tone in a shop in Dublin a few years back and it was pretty quiet. Had a nice tone though. Mind you, I thought the strings they had on it were quite slack and a heavier gauge would have pumped up the volume a bit. If you're just going to play it at home it would be fine but in my opinion, all tenor guitars with the possible exception of Nigel Forster's Session King Model (which I havent played, but there are links on his website to videos) are too quiet to be played in sessions. Just my opinion. I have Martin and gibson tenors and I wouldnt dream of bringing them to an Irish Session. Mind you, I had quite a small tenor guitar at one stage, looked like a Regal, that was really quite loud, about the same volume as a mandolin. Maybe go down that route???? Or you could check out Gold Tones resonator tenor which is modelled on the National Guitars, now that could be loud.

Hope that helps Tim,

John

Tim N
Nov-01-2016, 1:20pm
Mmmm, that does look rather nice....

Tim N
Nov-01-2016, 1:22pm
Thanks, all for the feedback. Seems like there really is an issue there.

Tim N
Nov-01-2016, 5:00pm
Well, Fox, if it's your round, there's a couple of nice Martins there....;)

fox
Nov-02-2016, 2:30am
This one looks nice for less than a Blueridge! there is a YouTube vid if you make the link...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tenor-guitar-4-strings-handmade-by-Tim-Blackwood-/262692036947?hash=item3d29aa6153:g:BZMAAOSwCGVX~OE S

Lord of the Badgers
Nov-02-2016, 3:08am
I suppose one problem is the traditionally small body size of a tenor. If I get one built I want a big body for the deeper bass.
I do need a G tenor though.
Think Taran use a similar approach to Nigel with the double/triple sides to aid projection.
But resonator or tenor banjo is what you probably need for session volume.

Tim N
Nov-02-2016, 5:44am
[QUOTE The result....lack of tone and volume.

Martin guitars had a better understanding of this when they designed the O-18T and that is what the Blueridge tenor is based on.

[/QUOTE]

I find it curious that Eagle Music describe it thus:
"It packs a penetrating punch and is well heard in an acoustic jam."

Lord of the Badgers
Nov-02-2016, 7:42am
Eagle music? Don't believe a word they say. I have my reasons and that illustrates it to a degree.