PDA

View Full Version : Best Mandolin to buy for under $600 ?

Pes Hasnip
Oct-27-2016, 3:38pm
Hi Guy's,
This is my first post, so i apologise if it's already been covered, i did try searching for the answer through old posts, but didn't find it.
I'm looking to buy my first Mandolin.
I'm a guitar player who's looking to play the odd song or two in his set on Mandolin.
I have roughly $600 to spend.
I have been looking at the Eastman 505, Eastman 515 and the Loar LM520.
I will down the line, look at putting a pick up in, but think it makes sense to spend what little money i have on the best Mandolin i can buy for the money, so, i guess that's the question, which of these 3 ( or any other you can suggest ) is the best one to buy ?
I realise it's subjective. I imagine i would like as wide a nut as possible, for my horrible stubby fingers, and i would be looking to play stuff like, or by, REM, The Faces and i love Irish tunes too.
Once again, sorry if this subject has been covered, but any help would be appreciated.
Thank you :-D

Clement Barrera-Ng
Oct-27-2016, 4:02pm
I haven't played the 520, so if I have to pick one from the three, I'd go for the Eastman 505. It basically got the same sound and setup as the 515, but without the scroll and the added expense.

Having said that, my favorite mandolin in that price range would be a The Loar LM400. It's got an open-sounding, sweet sound to it. But if I can cheat a little and go over the $600 mark, I'd find a used Kentucky KM900 for around $600- $700. I think that's the best mandolin under the $1000 mark.

These are just my preference of course.

Pes Hasnip
Oct-27-2016, 4:26pm
Thank you Clement, it all helps, i'll check out the LM400, thanks :-D

Northwest Steve
Oct-27-2016, 4:29pm
Bernunzio Uptown Music has an Eastman 515 blem in the classifieds for $600. It does have any info about set-up, case or shipping? So close to your price range either way.

In the classifieds there are a few to consider
- used Eastman 605 $500, there is also a used one at The Mandolin Store. I heard one of those this summer that was great, nopt saying they will all sound like that.
- Kentucky 900 with a Cumberland bridge $750 (yes we like to stretch your budget). They do have a flat fretboard and a 1 1/16" nut.
- Kentucky 950 with some player wear for $700. Radius fretboard and 1 1/8" nut. the Kentucky master models can be great instruments. Never hurts to ask if they would work with you on the price a bit.
- Loar 600, should be setup well?, $525 shipped

Good luck on the search

pheffernan
Oct-27-2016, 4:42pm
You've received some great suggestions above, but since you're not planning to play bluegrass at a local jam, let me offer an alternative option: a flattop. In your price range, and often below, you can find solid wood instruments from independent builders and small shops from right here in the U.S. They will shine on Irish tunes and perform admirably on the pop/ rock fare. Names to consider include Mid-Missouri (now Big Muddy), Flatiron, and Redline Travelers.

lflngpicker
Oct-27-2016, 5:10pm
This Breedlove is an amazing American made mandolin value. You can't touch it for $599 with any import (though many of those are fine as well and I do enjoy Kentuckys, Eastmans, and others). I wish I had an extra $600 laying around!:grin:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/103661#103661

mrmando2015
Oct-27-2016, 9:07pm
I would second the flat top suggestion. I play a Big Muddy that I bought used for $450, and I am extremely pleased with it. I have also owned an Eastman and played several other Eastmans, and thought they were all fine instruments.

Pes Hasnip
Oct-27-2016, 11:00pm
Bernunzio Uptown Music has an Eastman 515 blem in the classifieds for $600. It does have any info about set-up, case or shipping? So close to your price range either way.

In the classifieds there are a few to consider
- used Eastman 605 $500, there is also a used one at The Mandolin Store. I heard one of those this summer that was great, nopt saying they will all sound like that.
- Kentucky 900 with a Cumberland bridge $750 (yes we like to stretch your budget). They do have a flat fretboard and a 1 1/16" nut.
- Kentucky 950 with some player wear for $700. Radius fretboard and 1 1/8" nut. the Kentucky master models can be great instruments. Never hurts to ask if they would work with you on the price a bit.
- Loar 600, should be setup well?, $525 shipped

Good luck on the search

Thank you Steve, i appreciate the tips :-D

Pes Hasnip
Oct-27-2016, 11:01pm
Thank you so much, i will check them out :-D

Pes Hasnip
Oct-27-2016, 11:03pm
Thank you, i wish i had more than the $600,my wife doesn't agree.....funny that! :-D

Jeff Mando
Oct-27-2016, 11:33pm
My suggestion is to think outside of the box. Used, vintage, whatever. Otherwise you are victim to a manufactured scheme of "for $50 more you get this" and so on. I think if you just try some stuff you might be surprised. I often talk about a $30 Harmony that I didn't buy because it was at a flea market on a Sunday and I didn't have the money and it was before ATM's (imagine that?) -- anyway for me it was the one that got away and I may be wrong, but in my mind I have placed its sound in a category that few mandolins have ever been able to achieve. You may be just fine with a $30-200 mandolin. The price isn't really important. The sound and enjoyment is. This month I bought two mandolins on eBay, one a 'teens A style for $50 and the other a 30's mandolin for around $45 with the shipping and I'm having a blast with them. Of course, expect to clean, adjust, restring, etc. -- that's all part of the fun!:mandosmiley:

gtani7
Oct-28-2016, 2:47am
Welcome to the Cafe. I think you've gotten great info in this thread, I think i would add a Kentucky 500 or 505 from the Mando store or folkmusician.com. I would also try an archtop oval hole and a flattop (which i think are always oval hole). I know you're anxious to buy and start chopping and sliding, but you have to make sure that you get a good neck shape, string spacing, etc. Mandolins actually require a decent amount of strength in the left hand, applied in the Bruce lee way, not brute strength, and it's a complicated purchase and you might end up with different right hand technique on guitar and mando.

Are there stores around you? You should print out some arpeggios and 2 finger chords from the web and try out instruments. This is one exercise i like: http://mandozine.com/techniques/arpeggios/arpeggios-obrien.html. Also ask around if any friends/neighbors play.

This was a similar question http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?127447-Help-finding-a-brand-to-look-at

I've also told a few folks that they can email/PM me any questions or sale listings they are considering buying and i'll give feedback. I've looked at a lot of instruments around that price and owned: a Gretsch New Yorker, a "The Loar", 2 Eastmans, 2 Kentuckies, 1 J .Bovier

Bob Clark
Oct-28-2016, 6:47am
You've received some great suggestions above, but since you're not planning to play bluegrass at a local jam, let me offer an alternative option: a flattop. In your price range, and often below, you can find solid wood instruments from independent builders and small shops from right here in the U.S. They will shine on Irish tunes and perform admirably on the pop/ rock fare. Names to consider include Mid-Missouri (now Big Muddy), Flatiron, and Redline Travelers.

I agree with the flat-top suggestion, especially since bluegrass is not your objective. You can buy a used, well-crafted flat top for less than your price ceiling, and have an instrument that you will want to keep and play even if MAS hits and you buy a bigger ticket arch-top at some point in the future.

I would add one more luthier to the list, however, and that would be Crystal Forest. Terry Majewski builds these (one-person shop), and they are real things of beauty. Comfortable neck, good sound, all around nice instruments. Why not contact him? Who knows, maybe he can build one to your specs, in your price range. Here's his URL http://crystalforestmandolins.com/

BTW, NFI, just a real fan of his instruments. I have owned his #14 for several years and it is a permanent member of my small collection. In fact, I am going to restring it as soon as I log out.

Best wishes,

Bob

multidon
Oct-28-2016, 7:50am
Great suggestions above. I will add my two cents worth:

Howard Morris makes a nice looking flat top. Watch the classifieds, they come up regularly. About 600 dollars I think.

There is a really nice looking used blond Eastman 605 at the Mandolin Store right now. NFI. Usually that model has a built in pickup but this particular one does not.

I am a big fan of Kentucky instruments. Used to have one that I moved along but it was amazing for its price. Never played a Kentucky that I didn't like, except the 100 and 140. The 150 is scary good at it's price point. For getting your first mandolin, I like the beginners pack that Elderly sells with the Kentucky 150, case, and all the accessories you need. Good value at well under your price point.

I never really liked any Loar I ever tried. I know they have fans here, but they always seem to sound tinny and quiet to me. Of course that could have been set up. I only played them in big box music stores that couldn't be bothered with set up.

An interesting and different choice would be the Gretsch Park Avenue. It is an F style oval hole with a funky old time look. They are all solid wood but pressed, not carved. I never played one but I would like to try one given the opportunity. There were some rave reviews around when they were first introduced. And they have a pick up already built in when you need it. 579 street price but no case. I believe I am correct in saying it is the lowest priced F style oval hole available today.

I think Eastman makes a very fine instrument indeed. On one memorable trip to Elderly, when I had time to do lots of taste testing, I thought the best sounding instrument on the wall was an Eastman 915. Tone wise it blew away every Collings, Pava, and vintage Gibson. Loud, articulate, and everything anyone could want. But Eastman uses very tiny frets, and that's a deal breaker for me. I guess I could have gotten used to it, but I like to feel comfortable from the very start with any instrument. I'm not sure how important it is to a beginning mandolinist who hasn't formed preferences yet, but things like fret size, neck profile, fretboard shape (radius, flat, compound) should be considered.

Since you already play guitar, I will say that guitar players who switch to mandolin seem to prefer radius fretboards, bigger frets, and chunkier necks. You would get all of that with a Breedlove.

Hope all this helps.

fatt-dad
Oct-28-2016, 9:19am
I love my flattop mandolin. Mine's a Flatiron 1N and sits in that $500 price point, used.

I think the most versatile and affordable mandolin is an a-model with f-holes. Look at the Eastman 305, for example. "The Loar" is another maker. You want to see the words, "Hand carved" and you want to see, "Solid wood."

f-d

Pes Hasnip
Oct-28-2016, 9:40am
Welcome to the Cafe. I think you've gotten great info in this thread, I think i would add a Kentucky 500 or 505 from the Mando store or folkmusician.com. I would also try an archtop oval hole and a flattop (which i think are always oval hole). I know you're anxious to buy and start chopping and sliding, but you have to make sure that you get a good neck shape, string spacing, etc. Mandolins actually require a decent amount of strength in the left hand, applied in the Bruce lee way, not brute strength, and it's a complicated purchase and you might end up with different right hand technique on guitar and mando.

Are there stores around you? You should print out some arpeggios and 2 finger chords from the web and try out instruments. This is one exercise i like: http://mandozine.com/techniques/arpeggios/arpeggios-obrien.html. Also ask around if any friends/neighbors play.

This was a similar question http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?127447-Help-finding-a-brand-to-look-at

I've also told a few folks that they can email/PM me any questions or sale listings they are considering buying and i'll give feedback. I've looked at a lot of instruments around that price and owned: a Gretsch New Yorker, a "The Loar", 2 Eastmans, 2 Kentuckies, 1 J .Bovier

Thank you so much, i really appreciate all the advice i'm getting. I am doing my best to NOT, dive in and just impulse buy. I am enjoying looking at all the different choices. Thanks again :-D

Pes Hasnip
Oct-28-2016, 9:43am
Great suggestions above. I will add my two cents worth:

Howard Morris makes a nice looking flat top. Watch the classifieds, they come up regularly. About 600 dollars I think.

There is a really nice looking used blond Eastman 605 at the Mandolin Store right now. NFI. Usually that model has a built in pickup but this particular one does not.

I am a big fan of Kentucky instruments. Used to have one that I moved along but it was amazing for its price. Never played a Kentucky that I didn't like, except the 100 and 140. The 150 is scary good at it's price point. For getting your first mandolin, I like the beginners pack that Elderly sells with the Kentucky 150, case, and all the accessories you need. Good value at well under your price point.

I never really liked any Loar I ever tried. I know they have fans here, but they always seem to sound tinny and quiet to me. Of course that could have been set up. I only played them in big box music stores that couldn't be bothered with set up.

An interesting and different choice would be the Gretsch Park Avenue. It is an F style oval hole with a funky old time look. They are all solid wood but pressed, not carved. I never played one but I would like to try one given the opportunity. There were some rave reviews around when they were first introduced. And they have a pick up already built in when you need it. 579 street price but no case. I believe I am correct in saying it is the lowest priced F style oval hole available today.

I think Eastman makes a very fine instrument indeed. On one memorable trip to Elderly, when I had time to do lots of taste testing, I thought the best sounding instrument on the wall was an Eastman 915. Tone wise it blew away every Collings, Pava, and vintage Gibson. Loud, articulate, and everything anyone could want. But Eastman uses very tiny frets, and that's a deal breaker for me. I guess I could have gotten used to it, but I like to feel comfortable from the very start with any instrument. I'm not sure how important it is to a beginning mandolinist who hasn't formed preferences yet, but things like fret size, neck profile, fretboard shape (radius, flat, compound) should be considered.

Since you already play guitar, I will say that guitar players who switch to mandolin seem to prefer radius fretboards, bigger frets, and chunkier necks. You would get all of that with a Breedlove.

Hope all this helps.

Thank you Don, that's some really helpful advice, especially taking note of my guitar background. Man, so many Mandolin's, so little time ! Have a great weekend :-D

Pes Hasnip
Oct-28-2016, 9:44am
I agree with the flat-top suggestion, especially since bluegrass is not your objective. You can buy a used, well-crafted flat top for less than your price ceiling, and have an instrument that you will want to keep and play even if MAS hits and you buy a bigger ticket arch-top at some point in the future.

I would add one more luthier to the list, however, and that would be Crystal Forest. Terry Majewski builds these (one-person shop), and they are real things of beauty. Comfortable neck, good sound, all around nice instruments. Why not contact him? Who knows, maybe he can build one to your specs, in your price range. Here's his URL http://crystalforestmandolins.com/

BTW, NFI, just a real fan of his instruments. I have owned his #14 for several years and it is a permanent member of my small collection. In fact, I am going to restring it as soon as I log out.

Best wishes,

Bob

Thank you Bob, i will check them out, have a great weekend :-D

Pes Hasnip
Nov-01-2016, 8:57am
Just an Update, i went with the Eastman MD604 that has a blemish at The Mandolin Store ( https://themandolinstore.com/product/eastman-md604-mandolin-acoustic-electric-blem/ )
It has everything i'm looking for, a bit more than i wanted to spend ( $699 ) but i do believe it is a quality instrument, at least, for a first time Mandolin owner like me !
Thank you all for your help, it really did make a difference.
Cheers guys :-D

multidon
Nov-01-2016, 11:35am
You did well. That is a screaming bargain. Lots of bang for the buck. Congratulations, and enjoy.

Pes Hasnip
Nov-01-2016, 11:57am
You did well. That is a screaming bargain. Lots of bang for the buck. Congratulations, and enjoy.

Thanks Don, i can't wait to play :-D

Br1ck
Nov-02-2016, 3:23pm
The lack of Blems on those Blems is a very good testament to Eastman QC.

WoodyCTA102
Nov-03-2016, 3:58pm
Quite happy with my Eastman 505. I've had some nicer mandolins and will probably get another soon, but the Eastman is much better than anything available near the price a couple of decades ago.

It has a narrow fretboard that most mandolins. I thought that might be a problem until I played one since I have been playing my Weber Bridger Mandola for the past 10 years or so, guitar and bass. But, it actually works quite well. I have large hands, but not too stubby of fingers.

I did have to work with it by playing it a lot, varying strings and string height, even massaged the wood a bit. Solo, it was a little thin until I had a number of hours play time on it. Had to lubricate tuners to get them to move smoothly. But, otherwise it looks and feels very much like a Flatiron A5 Artist I had roughly 20 years ago. The top is a nice deep, rich sunburst. The back is not as flamed and pretty as the Flatiron, but it is OK. I think it sounds pretty similar to what I remember of the Flatiron. It's plenty loud and cuts well. You can get the action quite low if that's your thing, without buzz. The A and E strings chime really nicely.

For $650 or so new, and somewhere around $450 - $500 used, it is a real bargain.

If the 505 is a little more than you want to spend right now, the satin-finished 305 sounds/plays similarly -- maybe even better -- than the prettier/glossier 505.

With that said, it has not come close to curing my MAS for something a little nicer and perhaps just a tad fuller sounding. In fact, until I picked up the Eastman, I had pretty much forgotten how nice the mandolin sounds compared to mandolas and octaves.

Interestingly, the store where I bought 505 had two nice Collings As -- one f-hole one and an oval. After several weeks of obsessing, I decided to stop by and try them out and was ready to pull out the plastic card if I liked one. When I played them -- I hesitate to say this here -- I decided the Eastman was just fine for now. I'm sure the Collings would have matured, but I wasn't willing to pay that money hoping they would when the Eastman was already at home waiting. Plus, the blond finish and non-flamed one-piece back up close wasn't as cool as I remembered.

But, the hunt is definitely on. In the meantime, I enjoy playing the 505 every night.

Sorry, for the long post, but I've been waiting for chance to write about getting back into mandolins and the 505.

Mark Wilson
Nov-03-2016, 4:18pm
Best Mandolin to buy for under $600 ?a nice used one that sold new for $1000?