PDA

View Full Version : Loar LM-590 Sound

Pilot172000
Oct-27-2016, 12:27pm
I am a long time lurker, first time poster. I started to seriously learn how to play the mandolin about a month ago with a Washburn A style mandolin that wouldn't stay in tune due to condition. I did what most newbies do and that is research on here about what would be a decent starter to mid level mandolin. I read a good bit of positive feedback on the Loar LM-590 and purchased one off of ebay brand new. Well it took a couple weeks longer to get it in than had been expected and during that time I happened upon a great looking Gibson F-9 that I couldn't live with out. They both came in the same day and the Loar only came out of the box for a visual inspection before posting it back up for sale. I started playing the F-9 and haven't stopped. It went from a quiet more muted sounding mandolin as I knew it would coming from Colorado to Louisiana and gradually got louder and louder. I love it. I haven't been able to sell the Loar like I wanted and figured it would make a decent camping instrument or starter for my kid so I had it set up at my local music shop today and picked it up a little while ago to start strumming it. It was so quiet. Almost like a whisper.

My question is, will it open up like the Gibson did or is the F-9 just so much better? I know the Washburn is much louder than this Loar but not as nice. Just help me with context here as I know that I am really comparing apples to oranges. It also weights twice as much as my F-9.

lflngpicker
Oct-27-2016, 3:58pm
Hi, Congratulations on your two mandolins! That F-9 is a top flight, professional quality mandolin and will serve you with many years of playing enjoyment. The Loar is a very good instrument and will open up over time. I think they have their own sound and their playability for me is very comfortable. It won't compare to the Gibson, but not much would. The Loar will hold its own and give you a sound and feel worth cherishing. You have a good duo there, sir!

Mandoplumb
Oct-27-2016, 4:07pm
I have a The Loar, while it's not as loud or as great a sound as my Dearstone ( when I play the 'Stone banjo players ask me to please tone it down) I don't by any means call it quite. I suspect all yours needs is playing ( whip it like a mule)

Northwest Steve
Oct-27-2016, 4:17pm
I would think if you have a very good F-9 that the Loar 590 will not compare sound wise. If should make a good backup/beater though. As far as the weight there is probably much more hand graduations done to the F9 where most of the shaping and graduations are done buy machines. Also the finish is probably much thicker. I am a firm believer in mandolins breaking in and have experienced it on a few mandolins. So as mentions above hopefully it will start to come alive if you play it. A lot of folks replace the bridges on the Loar's with a Cumberland so that may be an option to consider down the road. Lastly strings and picks can make a bid difference on an instrument.

Pilot172000
Oct-27-2016, 4:36pm
Thanks for the replies. Over the last couple of hours I have picked on it a great deal and it does sound a lot better than when I first picked it up. It has a much wider fret board than my F-9 which I don't like but my wife and oldest were able to chord it much easier than the Gibson and showed some interest. I have a very narrow nut on the F-9 and the Loar is much wider. It plays very well no complaints with what I got. I guess I got spoiled from the start. That Gibson sounds like its hooked up to an amp when I play it. Very clear and loud. The Loar is very easy to play and has a much shallower neck. I think I will keep it.

choctaw61
Oct-27-2016, 4:54pm
Congrats on the new F-9. But I'm not a fan of the loar.It will be a great beater though.I'm a newbie and play a beater Washburn but no complaints here it's good for what it was bought for. By the way I live over here in Winnfield.So good to see more Louisiana folks here

Pilot172000
Oct-27-2016, 5:11pm
Great to see another North Louisiana Folk on here. I get asked all the time if the Longs came from Winnsboro, lol. The Washburn I have is beat to heck and back, cracked neck, crushed the bridge on it. I got it for $25 and put another $25 to set it up. It serves it's purpose.

choctaw61
Oct-27-2016, 6:51pm
Lol kinda like is Winnfield where they have the catfish festival.