PDA

View Full Version : Gibson H4 Mandola case

MikeEdgerton
Oct-26-2016, 12:15pm
The mandola case you may or may not need is available at Elderly.

http://www.elderly.com/accessories/cases-gigbags/mandolin-family-cases-gigbags/mandola-cases-gigbags/gibson-h-4-mandola-hardshell-case-1930-s.htm

Gibson H-4 Mandola Hardshell Case (1930's)
$1,295.00
IN STOCK
sku: 138U-1153
Brand: Gibson

Very clean rare vintage case, for Gibson H-4 mandola (oval soundhole, 2-point body and scroll), black exterior, purple interior, small accessory pocket, replacement leather handle, EC

Jim Garber
Oct-26-2016, 8:32pm
I know what "they" say: "try and find another" however, for $1300 I would think they would have at least a sensible replacement handle preferably an original one. That handle looks unwieldy to me. Oh well...

MikeEdgerton
Oct-26-2016, 8:38pm
I was a bit setback by the price but as you said.

Loudloar
Oct-26-2016, 10:19pm
The case certainly is in excellent condition. The handle is a joke but easily replaced with a vintage type for $45, and then you have a great case.

I do not think this is a 1930's case, however. The pocket lid has a rivet in the center of the raised diamond, which anchors the elastic band intended to hold the lid closed. This feature disappeared around 1920. So I believe this is a Teens case. A 1930's case would look virtually identical unless it happened to be a Red Line model. This case would be the Faultless #378 model with purple flannel lining. There was also a Faultless #387 with plush lining.

The market will determine a fair price. But case values are strongly influenced by the value of the instrument they hold. What is the current value of an H-4? (I'm not quite sure.) I'd think if an H-4 was $12K then maybe 10% for the case would be justified. Now an H-5 is worth a lot more but this isn't an H-5 case, which would be plush lined. So this case has to be valued as an H-4 case. My 2 cents.

Steve

Tobin
Oct-27-2016, 7:16am
Right on, Steve! This case, as far as I can tell, is exactly identical to the original case for my 1917 H4. Except that mine has a red interior, not purple. And mine does have the original handle. But all the details I can see in their photo look like my teens H4 case.

But since you mentioned it, where does one find this $45 replacement? My F4 case needs a replacement that looks vintage. I have been unable to find a handle that actually looks vintage, with the metal connectors at the rings. Every one I've seen just has leather tabs.

Loudloar
Oct-27-2016, 11:19pm
Well, Tobin, you won't find a replacement handle with the metal ends, as found on Loar cases and some other ca. 1920 cases. It may be possible to find an old violin case with such a handle but almost certainly the leather will be old and weak; therefore unusable.

I have searched high and low for authentic handles. Here is the best I have found. It's pretty darn nice and identical to the vast majority of prewar case handles. http://machinistchest.com/site2/product_details.php?item_id=45

Steve

Tobin
Oct-28-2016, 6:44am
Well, Tobin, you won't find a replacement handle with the metal ends, as found on Loar cases and some other ca. 1920 cases.
Hmm... interesting. Below is a photo of the handle on my '17 H4 case. Do you think this may be a '20s case, or maybe a replacement handle from the '20s? I had always assumed it was correct and original to 1917, since everything else about this H4 is original.

I would think that original handles would be fairly easy to reproduce, and I wonder why nobody has done it.

I agree, that "banana" handle you linked to is about as close to an original leather handle as one will find these days, or at least in the same general spirit as an original. Oddly enough, it looks like the same handle I see on some modern cases like my Guardian "vintage hardshell" case. It's a comfortable handle; nice and thick with a padded feel to it.

Loudloar
Oct-29-2016, 2:40pm
photo of the handle on my '17 H4 case. Do you think this may be a '20s case, or maybe a replacement handle from the '20s? I had always assumed it was correct and original to 1917, since everything else about this H4 is original.

That style handle with the metal ends appears on violin cases from the late 1800's. So it's completely correct for a Teen's case. They were used on the 1922-24 Loar cases but I haven't seen them later than that. One disadvantage of these handles is that the leather part has no metal reinforcement, so as soon as the leather gets brittle or weak, that's the end of the handle. The "banana" handle has a metal strip through the center so it has a longer life.

I would think that original handles would be fairly easy to reproduce, and I wonder why nobody has done it.
Probably way too few potential buyers for someone to go into production. I made one by hand. It's a LOT of work.

Steve

Loudloar
Oct-29-2016, 3:00pm
I agree, that "banana" handle you linked to is about as close to an original leather handle as one will find these days, or at least in the same general spirit as an original. Oddly enough, it looks like the same handle I see on some modern cases like my Guardian "vintage hardshell" case.

Most of the "banana" handles I see on modern cases look like the example on the right. To my eyes they are plain ugly, especially the ends. The one on the left is from Machinist Chest.

Steve