PDA

View Full Version : Canted Top Thickness

AydinC.
Oct-21-2016, 5:39pm
Hi, Dave Hynds is rebuilding a bouzouki for me and it has a canted top. I was wanting some opinions on the ideal top thickness. I've seen as high as around 2.6 mm and as low as 2mm and I know the edges are usually thinner. What are some views on a good top thickness for canted instruments? Thanks

Marty Jacobson
Oct-21-2016, 6:42pm
It really depends on the individual piece of wood, among other things (bracing pattern, neck angle, body width, etc). Usually this is something the luthier does from experience and after working with and feeling/measuring the specific wood to be used. Specs from the customer in this case are pretty academic. If you want to have input in the process, you should talk with Dave about what kind of tone you want, and then turn him loose to work the magic.

AydinC.
Oct-21-2016, 7:06pm
That's true, he asked me what I was wanting so I'm not really sure exactly.

Graham McDonald
Oct-22-2016, 10:14am
Canted top mandolins usually run at around 3mm and I would expect Dave to have handled enough mandolins and bouzoukis to be able to know what to do.

Cheers

AydinC.
Oct-22-2016, 4:40pm
Thanks, yeah it's all good I talked to him again. I just saw some places where lower numbers like 2mm were mentioned and I was wondering the consensus but I think it'll probably be close to 2.5 mm give or take.